Thread: National Championship game should be OU/TX

National Championship game should be OU/TX

Ok right now the BCS standings are

1 Alabama
    2 Texas Tech
    3 Texas
    4 Florida
    5 Oklahoma

Texas Tech got smashed so the new BCS standings will probably be this come Sunday

1. Alabama
    2. Oklahoma
    3 Texas
    4 Florida
    5 USC

Alabama will probably get beat by Florida in the SEC title game ,with Florida behind Texas and Oklahoma in the BCS beating a overrated Alabama team "shouldnt" put them past either team(even though it might due to stupid human voters)

That in my mind would leave the BCS rankings

1.Oklahoma
    2.Texas
    3 Florida

With the SEC having a down year no team with one loss should be able to pass Texas or Oklahoma in the BCS
    Texas has beat :Oklahoma, Oklahoma St , Missouri and lost on a last second td in a game they played a bad first half
    Florida will have beaten Alabama and Georgia in the top 25, that its 2 top 25 teams.

Whether Florida could be the best team in the country or not they do not deserve a title game .With only 2 games against end of the year top 25 competition they should have went undefeated .

Oklahoma is the best team in the country right now IMO and Texas has the toughest strength of schedule of the 3 .Winning the SEC means nothing this year. Why not leave Florida were they belong in 3rd and let Texas and Oklahoma battle it out in the title game?I think Florida looks like one of the best teams in the country because they are playing against very weak SEC teams this year

I think this would be the fairest game but when has the BCS been fair ?

What does everyone else think?

I gave lots of reasons if you think two other teams should play give reasons please
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Re: National Championship game should be OU/TX

I think your argument is good, but I think Florida is the best team and will beat either of them.

Wouldnt it be a great idea to have like an 8 team playoff?
    Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

Well the new BCS rankings are:

1. Alabama
    2. Texas
    3. Oklahoma
    4. Florida

Even though Oklahoma is ranked 3rd and Texas ranked 4th in the AP Oklahoma is still slightly behind Texas in the BCS.
    Florida even though ranked number 2 in the AP are 4th in the BCS due to their strength of schedule and computer rankings.

Now the question is if Oklahoma beats Oklahoma St will that be enough to get Oklahoma past Texas in the BCS?
    Another question, with Florida currently ranked 4th in the BCS will beating Alabama get Florida past Oklahoma or Texas in the BCS?

I personally think Oklahoma is the best team in the country right now
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

The AP Poll isn't used to compute the BCS, so it doesn't matter how they are ranked there.

The Harris Poll, USA Today Poll and computer rankings are what are used to determine the BCS standings. Bama is ranked number one in all three, so I'd say they are considered to be pretty good.

I see a Alabama/Texas matchup. Alabama wins in a close one (Whichever team wins is in and Florida could easily win this one) and Texas should play for the Big 12 Championship. If Oklahoma, Texas and Tech all win Saturday and are tied, the tiebreaker for the Big 12 Championship game is whomever is ranked highest in the BCS standings goes (currently Texas) I don't see any of the three losing and I don't see Texas losing the Big 12 to Missouri. If this all happens, it will be Alabama and Texas.

I agree that Oklahoma is probably the best team. But without a true playoff system that allows this to be settled on the field, there will always be opinion on who are the best teams are.

Could I be wrong on who plays? Absolutley, but it will be either Florida/Alabama versus Texas/Oklahoma barring any of them losing this weekend. Which could happen.

But I say Bama/Texas

Quote Originally Posted by timbob
    The AP Poll isn't used to compute the BCS, so it doesn't matter how they are ranked there.

The Harris Poll, USA Today Poll and computer rankings are what are used to determine the BCS standings. Bama is ranked number one in all three, so I'd say they are considered to be pretty good.

I see a Alabama/Texas matchup. Alabama wins in a close one (Whichever team wins is in and Florida could easily win this one) and Texas should play for the Big 12 Championship. If Oklahoma, Texas and Tech all win Saturday and are tied, the tiebreaker for the Big 12 Championship game is whomever is ranked highest in the BCS standings goes (currently Texas) I don't see any of the three losing and I don't see Texas losing the Big 12 to Missouri. If this all happens, it will be Alabama and Texas.

I agree that Oklahoma is probably the best team. But without a true playoff system that allows this to be settled on the field, there will always be opinion on who are the best teams are.

Could I be wrong on who plays? Absolutley, but it will be either Florida/Alabama versus Texas/Oklahoma barring any of them losing this weekend. Which could happen.

But I say Bama/Texas

Thanks for the insight Timbob I love to hearing others opinions on this.

You are right the AP poll isnt used its the coaches poll makes up 1/3 of the BCS score and while I typed the AP poll all these times I should have been typing the coaches poll. The coaches poll is the USA Today poll so you are right timbob.The coaches poll and AP are usually fairly close in accuracy.I have used the AP poll in this thread which as you stated means nothing to the BCS.Now the coaches poll or USA Today poll stacks up like this:

1.Alabama
    2.Oklahoma
    3.Florida
    4.Texas

and since Texas is in 4th I cant see them getting any higher no matter how good they play or how bad Oklahoma plays.

I really think the title game should be Texas vs Alabama or Florida but I believe it will be Florida/Alabama vs Oklahoma because thats what people want to see

We will see very soon
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

The only thing I don't see happening is Oklahoma getting there ahead of Texas if they all win out. There will be a three place tied for first in the Big 12 South. The team to play in the Big 12 Championship according to their tiebreaker rules states team ranked higher in the BCS represents the South. Texas is currently that team. I just don't see Oklahoma jumping over Texas in the BCS if they both win. Then if Texas beats Missouri for the Big 12 Championship. Texas will go. The Big 12 Champ will be the one in the game

No one will ever convince me that a playoff is not the way to go. Earn it on the field!!

Oklahoma
    Texas
    Texas Tech
    Penn State
    Alabama
    Boise State
    Utah
    Florida
    USC
    and yes even Ball State (MAC teams have played well)

All these teams have zero or one loss. I'd love to see them battle it put on THE GRIDIRON to see who the best team really is.

At least they will have the right conferences representing both sides of the title game.

SEC vs Big 12

I dont want to see another Buckeye blowout. (Sorry Luke)

Like Billy said, playoffs is the way to go. How can Division 2 and 3 and 1-aa do it but Divison 1 cant? It seems like a no brainer to me and the ratings would be huge for those games.

Quote Originally Posted by IWS Zak
    At least they will have the right conferences representing both sides of the title game.

SEC vs Big 12

I dont want to see another Buckeye blowout. (Sorry Luke)

Like Billy said, playoffs is the way to go. How can Division 2 and 3 and 1-aa do it but Divison 1 cant? It seems like a no brainer to me and the ratings would be huge for those games.

I agree with both of you ,a playoff is the only way to go.Will it ever happen ? I don't know .I can see Oklahoma just squeaking by Texas in the BCS but we'll just have to wait and see

As for the game being another Buckeye blowout again bash all you want I hate hearing about them from all these Ohio fair weather fans.
    The two years they went to the title game all I heard on the radios ,tvs, papers ,out of peoples mouths was Buckeyes this and Buckeyes that I was so sick of it .The day after they got beat both times it was like a ghost town ,the tvs made no mention of the Buckeyes nor the radios.People all around were like :game? what game?( they didn't really say what game but there was no mention of the game at all)It was so bad I had to call information to see if I was still in Ohio

That's not pride it's fair weather fans

I think a playoff system would bring in more money than BCS games ever would

Right now cbssportsline is predicting the following BCS games:

Championship : Florida vs Oklahoma

Fiesta Bowl : Texas vs USC

Sugar Bowl : Alabama vs Utah

Rose Bowl : Oregon St vs Penn State

Orange Bowl : Boston College vs Cincinnati

Now I don't know about the rest of you but the only two games the even look worth watching are the Fiesta Bowl and Championship.

Alabama vs Utah and Oregon St vs Penn State dont scream excitement to me
    and
    BC vs Cinny sounds like a snooze fest

I cannot see how having a 8 team playoff wouldnt bring more ratings and money in than having these 5 BCS games
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

I hope Oregon St loses, I want to see USC in the Rose bowl against Penn St.

Another question say Oklahoma gets beat by Oklahoma St this weekend that would put Texas Tech in the Big 12 title game because they hold the tie breaker against Texas . I think everyone would agree Texas Tech would then beat Missouri ,so does that mean Texas still goes to the title game even though they didnt even win the Big 12?
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Nope. IMO Tech goes. Whomever goes and plays AND beats Missouri for the Big 12 will play for the title.

I agree wit billy. Didnt Nebraska go a few years ago and they didnt win the Big12, then got blown out by miami. I dont think they want that again.

Quote Originally Posted by IWS Zak
    I agree wit billy. Didnt Nebraska go a few years ago and they didnt win the Big12, then got blown out by miami. I dont think they want that again.
    You are right I looked it up .It was 2001

"In yet another controversial season for the BCS, #4 Nebraska was chosen as the national title opponent despite not having even played in the Big 12 championship game. The Huskers went into their last regularly scheduled game at Colorado undefeated, but left Boulder at the short end of a 62-36 pasting. The Buffaloes went on to win the Big 12 championship game. However, the BCS computers didn't take into account time of loss, so one-loss Nebraska came out ahead of two-loss Colorado and one-loss, second-ranked Oregon. Chants of #4 were heard throughout the title game held at the Rose Bowl."
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

After thinking about it for a while I think Texas deserves to go the the Big 12 title over Oklahoma or Texas Tech.
    Here is why :

Oklahoma's loss to Texas was on a neutral field by 10 ,had the game been in Austin they may have lost by 21 or more.

Texas Tech's only loss was on the road at Oklahoma by 40 points. They had no chance in that game should no determination and gave up IMO.Oklahoma could have had 7 turnovers and still one by 14 points, Tech stood no chance.

Texas's only loss also came on the road by 6 points on a last second ,last play of the game TD.Texas was on the last game of the hardest 4 game stretch anyone has played in the country this year .They were in a very hostile environment and were not ready to play ,they still came back from a 19-0 deficit no take the lead with a minute to go ON THE ROAD.

So of the 3 teams Texas played the best on the road, anyone can win at home and even though they didn't win Texas had the best showing on the road. Oklahoma didn't even have to play their toughest game of the season on the road ,they played half way in between home and Austin

People can say whatever they want about Oklahoma being better than Texas but Texas beat them on a neutral field.
    Now if that dope CB for Texas had held on to the ball with 8 seconds left or if the dope CB's had kept Crabtree out of the end zone on the last play of the game we wouldnt be having this conversation

This is why I love college football

Just my opinion (which is usually wrong anyways )
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

I agree man, Texas should go if they win out. I think it should be Texas and Florida.

They just announced the new BS I mean BCS standings and Oklahoma did jump over Texas .

This is an absolute disgrace IMO . When two teams are ranked 2 and 3 and the head to head match up doesnt mean anything the whole system is a bunch of crap.

How do you tell your players that they will not get to play for the national title because a bunch of morons that vote in a poll think Oklahoma is better than you even though you beat them?

I am not biased in this as I picked Oklahoma to win the title before the season started and just dont like to see anyone get screwed over.
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

You have to remember it is voters OPINIONS, just as it is your OPINION that Texas should be higher. So to me it isn't even close to a disgrace.

Most voters are voting the season, not just the head to head. Yes, Texas beat them, but Texas got beat by Tech, who a)Oklahoma blew away, and b)Baylor almost beat! Texas barely beat Oklahoma St and Oklahoma blew them away yesterday! I would vote Oklahoma ahead of Texas with those games alone! Then again, that is my OPINION! And when OPINIONS decide fate, you have what you have.

The disgrace is the BCS.

Until these coaches push heavy for a playoff system this will happen, so they can look in the mirror and blame themselves!! Until it is settled on the field you can argue all you want, it won't matter.

BTW - The polls had them almost dead even (Harris 3 & 2, USA Today 2 & 3) with Texas ahead with a 9.134 average versus 9.127. The computer has Oklahoma number one versus number two for Texas. The computer is what did them in, not the voters.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke

This is an absolute disgrace IMO . When two teams are ranked 2 and 3 and the head to head match up doesnt mean anything the whole system is a bunch of crap.

Didn't really read this part before. Luke, this is a BIG 12 rule when a three-way tie exist. So if Texas goes since they beat Oklahoma, why doesn't Tech go when they beat Texas head-to-head? And if the people voting are morons, why do you want them to decide? Because if your basing it on rankings then your basing it on those morons deciding. Correct?

This is the Big 12 making these decisions. You have to have some sort of tiebreaker.

Didn't really read this part before. Luke, this is a BIG 12 rule when a three-way tie exist. So if Texas goes since they beat Oklahoma, why doesn't Tech go when they beat Texas head-to-head? And if the people voting are morons, why do you want them to decide? Because if your basing it on rankings then your basing it on those morons deciding. Correct?

This is the Big 12 making these decisions. You have to have some sort of tiebreaker.
    I totally agree with TimBob on this one (that's scary).

You are right I dont want people and their opinions deciding whether these students deserve to play for the title over these students, the whole system is a joke and it is year after year.

So just because its a Big 12 rule that this is the tie breaker that means its fair? Did you know that in most other conferences that when two teams are that close in ranking the deciding factor is the head to head matchup? Thats the way is should be .

I dont even want to hear about Texas Tech anymore ,had that game been played at Texas's home field Texas would have won that game. Whats your excuse for Oklahoma? They played on a neutral field and lost to Texas . So whats their excuse ?They lost on a neutral field to a better team and are ranked ahead of them , how does that happen?

Are you saying that because Oklahoma beat OSU by 20 and Texas beat them by 5 Oklahoma is a better team even though Texas beat Oklahoma ? The fact that computers decided who is going is nuts

If Oklahoma beat every team this year by 50 and Texas beat those same teams by 1 every game Oklahoma is not a better team . A win is a win and a loss is a loss .

Lets look at 4 of the last 6 national title games:

In 2002 Miami was beating everyone by huge points while Ohio State were winning games by 7 or less. Miami won the title game by a lot right? Nope Ohio State won on defense

in 2004 Oklahoma was scoring all the points while USC was struggling to win in most games .Oklahoma won by 21 right? nope they lost by 36 USC shut their high powered offense down

in 2005 USC was the greatest team ever winning most game by 30+ every game and Texas barely beat Ohio State .USC cleaned Texas's clock right? Nope Texas won by 3 by stuffing USC with their defense

in 2006 undefeated Ohio State had the longest win streak in the nation and played a one loss Florida team that struggled to win alot of games ? The high scoring Buckeyes won right? Nope Florida won by 27 points completely shutting down OSU high powered offense with DEFENSE

So what's my point ? Defense not offense makes teams champions . Oklahoma has no defense .You mentioned Oklahoma beat Oklahoma St by a blowout and Texas barely won you forgot to mention Oklahoma gave up 41 points on defense and Texas gave up 24 to Oklahoma St . You also forgot to look at the Kansas games . Oklahoma gave up 31 points to Kansas Texas gave up 7 to Kansas. You also forgot to look at how Oklahoma played Kansas St . They gave up 35 to Kansas St. Kansas st for god sakes .

That is why Texas not Oklahoma should get the chance to play for the title . I can guarantee you Oklahoma will not win the the title because the have no defense .

You and other people that are see Oklahoma scoring all these points scored and think they are better are also the same people the picked the wrong team to win the National Title all the years above because you looked at the "better " team scoring all those points while the actual better team was winning with defense.

When will people realize defense wins championships not scoring?Oklahoma averaged giving up 30 ppg in the Big 12 this year.

Not only does Texas have the better defense and more rounded team THEY BEAT OKLAHOMA

So because Oklahoma scored more points and entertained you better Oklahoma gets the nod over a team that plays defense.

If OU and TX played again tomorrow Texas would win again because they can slow down OU offense while OU cant stop Texas

So in short
    I just think this shouldnt have happened but like you said its the BCS that is flawed and it will continue to be this way until a playoff happens . I just cant imagine being told I cant play for a national title because a computer said the team we beat is better .
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP