Thread: NHL Sean Avery BS down plays Blackhawks good deed.

NHL Sean Avery BS down plays Blackhawks good deed.

(from Sean2114 on another site)

Two weeks ago, hockey’s buzz was about Sean Avery and his former relationship with actress Elisha Cuthbert, his narcissism, whether the league should suspend him and whether the Dallas Stars should waive him. It was a waste of time on a waste of talent.

The real shame is what we missed.

For every self-consumed loose cannon like Avery, there are a thousand selfless treasures like the Chicago Blackhawks. They confirmed as much three weeks ago after GM Dale Tallon’s father, Stanley Tallon, passed away after a long illness in Gravenhurst, Ont. (pop. 11,000), the day the Blackhawks were in Toronto.

The ’Hawks were coming off a Chicago to Phoenix to Dallas to Toronto road trip and longed for a few days of R&R in the Windy City before jetting off on a three-game western swing over Thanksgiving. They were expected to fly home immediately after the Toronto game while Tallon handled funeral arrangements.

Rather than fly home, they changed on the fly.

They voted to abandon the travel schedule, proved their hearts were stronger than their hockey. They checked back into a hotel, purchased practice ice in the morning, rented two buses and took a two-hour ride north of Toronto to support their boss at the wake.

Ever see a grown GM cry? That’s what Tallon did after they stepped off the buses, greeted him one-by-one, comforted his mother, met with his daughters, spent enough time to show they cared and took the two-hour ride back to the airport. Basically, they sacrificed rare time off with their families to help Tallon and his family.

“I’m getting emotional right now,” Tallon said last week by telephone. “It was a shock, a complete shock.

“It was uplifting for my mother and took her out of her funk. She has the hockey package and watches all the games. Here was my dad behind her in a coffin, and she’s kissing and hugging Pat Kane. To see all these players and show them all the hockey pictures of me and my dad, it was really uplifting for her. I’ll never forget it.”

Said Kane: “I didn’t know where we were going. It was in the middle of nowhere, to be honest. The coaching staff, the players and the front office wanted to pay our respects to Dale. We just wanted to show our faces. It was just one day out of our lives, but I guess it went a long way.”

Apparently, their homespun values also had an impact on the town after two busloads of millionaires pulled into a local McDonald’s and overindulged on Big Macs, Happy Meals that included hockey cards of Kane and Jonathan Toews and laughs. You can imagine the reaction in, say, Wellsville, if the Yankees stopped at Burger King.

For one day, they were more than a team. They were a family.

“It was a definitely sad day to start,” Kane said, “but it’s a pretty good story to get around.”

Unfortunately, the tale was buried with the hockey briefs. As Tallon said, it would have been splashed across the country if one of his players drove his car into a ditch.

Just so you know, Stanley Tallon was a part-time scout for the Canadiens in their heyday. He often invited groups of kids to Junior Canadiens camps and brought them home with carloads of sticks, sweaters and skates. His son tagged along, too, and was eventually selected second overall in the 1970 draft behind . . . Gilbert Perreault.

“One of the best coaches I ever had,” Tallon said of his father. “Just a good hockey man who knew his stuff.”

Stanley was 47 years old when he was diagnosed with cancer. Doctors gave him six months to live, but he steamrolled cancer and lived to see Dale play 10 NHL seasons and become a general manager. He played hockey until he was 68, shot his age in golf when he was 73 and died when he was 80.

Certainly, that counts for something.

Tell me, again, who is Sean Avery?

Stories like these are why I love the game so much. These guys are true class acts and deserve the best. Hats off to the Blackhawks Organization.

Re: NHL Sean Avery BS down plays Blackhawks good deed.

That was pretty cool what the Blackhawks did, but I think they are blowing this Avery shit way out of porportion.

I see these guys whacking each other over the head with sticks and they can come back to play, but Avery cant because he was talking shit?

If the media didnt play it up so much, he would be back on Dallas right now. I think he will end up in New York soon. He will be perfect in that town.
    Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

Too bad Jerry Jones or Al Davis don't have a hockey team. He would be there for sure.

Lets remember that Avery didnt get all this just for the sloppy seconds remark... it is basically for ALL the shit he has done over the past 3 seasons or so that has basically gone unpunished until now. has has not been allowed to play for 2 of the last 3 teams he was on without actually getting released now and it is really obvious that none of his teammates current or previous think he isnt a cancer in the locker room.

Anyways to get back on topic... that is awesome what the Hawks players did and I believe that people who do not know much about the Hawks would think that this team must be veteran filled to do something like that but the reality is only 7 of their 22 players are over the age of 25 I do believe.

It is sad that the media will talk about classy stuff players/teams do for what seems like a split second if at all but one minor slip and BAM! you get a reputation. It is funny how sports reporters say NHLers are the most classy guys to interview but it seems like they have a different reputation cause there are fights in the game.
    06-07 IWS NCAA Football bowl contest Runner Up
    07-08 IWS NCAA Basketball season contest 3rd Place

Glad i came across this post.

Great story about the GOOD in some athletes. Its a shame these things dont get reported.
    “He's won more games with last-second shots, free throws and play-making than any player we've ever had. It's not even close.”

Coach Jim Boeheim - on Gerry McNamara

I had not heard of this, and that is a shame. These are the stories that should be spread in the news, as it is an example of what is right with sports, and humanity.

Scott, thank you for posting this
    “It is only when you see a mosquito land on your testicles that you realize that there is always a way to solve problems without using violence.”