Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast

Thread: MMA Junkie's Performify Analyzes Vera/Couture

MMA Junkie's Performify Analyzes Vera/Couture

Interesting stuff here. He is not always right, but is ahead overall. . .

UFC 105 appears not only a mediocre card from this fan's perspective, but also is extremely uninteresting from a gambling perspective. As such, there is only one fight I'm remotely interested in betting, and due to some significant limitations on my time this week I'll apologize in advance but I'm only able to break down that one fight, which is Brandon "The Truth" Vera (+100) vs Randy "The Natural" Couture (-120).

At 46 years old, Randy Couture (16-10 MMA, 13-7 UFC) is a legend of the sport. Already a member of the UFC Hall of Fame, Couture's biggest strength outside of his legendary fight IQ is his wrestling; he was a three time All-American and four time Olympic Team alternate. "The Natural" is most dangerous from the clinch, where he is equally likely to punish you with dirty boxing as he is to dump you to the ground. Once he has you down, Couture holds top position well and depends on ground-and-pound punishment rather than submissions.

Couture traditionally displayed decent standup skills with good head movement throughout his career, but his striking skill, and especially his defensive skills, appear to have declined moderately as he looked supremely sub-par while getting picked apart on the feet by Antonio Rodrigo Nogeuria at UFC 102.

Once a highly touted heavyweight prospect, Brandon Vera (11-3 MMA, 7-3 UFC) was run out of the division by consecutive losses to Tim Sylvia and Fabricio Werdum. Now Vera is 3-1 as a light heavyweight with the lone loss via split decision to Keith Jardine at UFC 89.

"The Truth" is a strategic striker who efectively utilizes his length to traditionally fight using his Muay Thai skills from distance. Not many realize that Vera also has a strong wrestling background: he went to Old Dominion on a wrestling scholarship before dropping out to join the Air Force; there he was on the force's wrestling team and trained at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs. Vera has also competed in Abu-Dhabi and has eight championships from Grappler's Quest.

A former two-time light heavyweight title holder, Couture returns to the 205-pound division for the first time since a 2006 loss to Chuck Liddell. The drop shouldn't be drastic for the 46-year-old, as Couture weighed just 220 pounds for his August headlining loss to Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira at "UFC 102: Couture vs. Nogueira."

I believe Vera to be a solid bet at these odds. I believe, as evidenced by Couture's previous outing, that Vera should be able to find significant success on the feet from range with his Muay Thai skills. I believe Vera's wrestling background and athleticism should help him dictate where the fight takes place -- while Couture will most certainly look to put Vera on his back, I believe Vera's Muay Thai training should mean danger for Couture's clinch work, and I believe Vera's underrated wrestling -- while definitely not better than Couture's, should help him neutralize Couture's gameplan and allow him to keep more of the fight standing where he has the most significant advantage.

If he can close ground on his opponent, and if Vera's wrestling does end up to be more towards the equalizer I'm expecting, Couture will most likely look to keep Vera pressed against the cage for much of this fight, to neutralize his range and his Muay Thai. Vera should still be dangerous with knees inside and with elbows over the top, but there is certainly a possibility that Couture can neutralize Vera against the cage for sufficient time to win a decision. But I believe Vera has several clean and clear paths to victory, compared to only essentially one for Couture. With decreased mobility and speed, Randy has apparently struggled defending looping blows to the side of his head in his past few fights, and I see Vera stumbling his legendary opponent with a well-placed shin or a heel to the side of the head before finishing with a flurry.

Vera +100, which you might also see listed as "EV," as "Even," or "-100" -- all mean the same, that for every dollar you risk, you'll win a dollar (as opposed to Couture -120 meaning you'll win a dollar for every $1.20 risked). I believe this to be a close fight, thus potentially a high-variance outcome. Still, I believe the betting line offers us an opportunity to bet what should be a moderate favorite at even odds, swinging the potential outcome in our favor. Still, if I'm right about Vera having a reasonable edge in this contest, you'd still expect to lose at minimum 35%-40% of the time, so once again practice good bankroll management techniques.
    http://mmajunkie.com/news/16829/perform ... fc-105.mma
    I heart cock

Re: MMA Junkie's Performify Analyzes Vera/Couture

Good stuff. I can see this fight going either way, but If I had a gun to my head, I would back Couture.
    Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

I agree. I am hoping Couture pulls it out, and probably favor him, but unlike Luke I don't think this is going to be a walk in the park for either guy.
    I heart cock

This guy is nuts Vera stands no chance .I'm wrong about a lot of things but I dont think this fight is one of them
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Quote Originally Posted by Luke
    This guy is nuts Vera stands no chance .I'm wrong about a lot of things but I dont think this fight is one of them
    Have you dropped dollars on Couture yet? If not, are you going to?
    I heart cock

I can definatly see the fight going the way this guys says. Just a gut feeling on my part that couture grinds it out though.

But would not be suprised at all if Vera KO's him.
    Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IWS Zak
    I can definatly see the fight going the way this guys says. Just a gut feeling on my part that couture grinds it out though.

But would not be suprised at all if Vera KO's him.
    I agree completely. To me, this is a fight that will tell us a lot about Couture. We're going to find out if he "still has it." There are a lot of ???s surrounding him right now and this fight will provide a lot of answers.

For the record, I hope Couture wins. He's the man.
    I heart cock

Quote Originally Posted by SPX
    Have you dropped dollars on Couture yet? If not, are you going to?

Yeah I'm putting 5 units down on Couture .Might lock it in tonight since I can get +100 on him
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Too many people are looking at Randys last two fights and thinking he's done. These fights were against people bigger and stronger then Couture . Its hard to grapple and and throw around a fighter bigger and stronger than you. In this fight Randy will be the same size as Vera. I see Randy closing the distance against Vera putting him against the cage and that sholuld be it for Vera and his chance to win

Randy has fought A level fighters in every fight for the past 8 years except for one or two fights.Vera is not a A level fighter ,I dont even consider him a B level fighter. His only win of his career than can even be spoken of is that over a fat out of shape Mir . A in shape Mir would destroy him
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

You know Luke, we have ridden together in the past and it's worked out pretty well. You make some good points, especially regarding the fact that Randy will not be oversized this time around. I am really on the fence with this one but your confidence emboldens me. Maybe this is more of a bet with the heart than with the head, but I just put 1.25u on him @ -120.

Let's hope the old man pulls it out!
    I heart cock

I think looking at Randy's last 2 fights is applicable in this case considering how old he is. We're not looking at anomalies, we're looking at depreciation. Nog has slowed down quite a bit and Randy still looked slow compared to him. Vera is going to be significantly faster and I don't think Randy will be able to handle it. Even if Randy finds some success with his predictable gameplan of clinchwork and takedowns, I don't believe he has the offense required to really hurt Vera, nor do I think he can win 2 of 3 rounds. Randy can really only win a decision here. Vera can also win a decision just as easily, or he can catch Randy and knock him out at any time, possibly even submit him. I think Vera ends Randy's career Saturday night.
    Triple-six killers in this motherfucker runnin shit

You know Luke, we have ridden together in the past and it's worked out pretty well. You make some good points, especially regarding the fact that Randy will not be oversized this time around. I am really on the fence with this one but your confidence emboldens me. Maybe this is more of a bet with the heart than with the head, but I just put 1.25u on him @ -120.

Let's hope the old man pulls it out!

I've been wrong before man.I'm much much better at boxing than MMA betting.I want to hear Zaks thoughts on this fight he's better at MMA than me. I really like Randy in this one but remember I liked Randy against NOG. I just dont think much of Vera or hi ability
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

BTW there is definitely variance and I'm going small on Vera simply because he has the capacity to just go full retard and throw the fight away.

I've been wrong before man.I'm much much better at boxing than MMA betting.I want to hear Zaks thoughts on this fight he's better at MMA than me. I really like Randy in this one but remember I liked Randy against NOG. I just dont think much of Vera or hi ability
    Well I've been thinking from the beginning that I was going to go with Couture or not at all. I've been contemplating it quite a bit. I can't say I'm confident in this one, but fuck it. Let's roll.

WAR COUTURE!
    I heart cock

Quote Originally Posted by zY|
    I think looking at Randy's last 2 fights is applicable in this case considering how old he is. We're not looking at anomalies, we're looking at depreciation. Nog has slowed down quite a bit and Randy still looked slow compared to him. Vera is going to be significantly faster and I don't think Randy will be able to handle it. Even if Randy finds some success with his predictable gameplan of clinchwork and takedowns, I don't believe he has the offense required to really hurt Vera, nor do I think he can win 2 of 3 rounds. Randy can really only win a decision here. Vera can also win a decision just as easily, or he can catch Randy and knock him out at any time, possibly even submit him. I think Vera ends Randy's career Saturday night.

I know one thing for sure Randy isnt getting submitted .If Nog couldnt do it Vera has no chance of submitting him.

You like Vera please explain why he has only won 3 of his last 6 fights

Wins against Krzysztof Soszynski ,Michael Patt ,and Reese Andy bum ,bum ,bum

Losses against Keith Jardine ,Fabricio Werdum ,and Tim Sylvia B level fighter,B level fighter, B level figter

Silvia is as slow as a fighter gets and he couldnt beat him

He cant even beat guys B level fighters how is he going to beat a legend that knows everything there is to know about MMA fighting ,game plainning ,and closing the distance?
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

BTW there is definitely variance and I'm going small on Vera simply because he has the capacity to just go full retard and throw the fight away.

full retard
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Well I've been thinking from the beginning that I was going to go with Couture or not at all. I've been contemplating it quite a bit. I can't say I'm confident in this one, but fuck it. Let's roll.

WAR COUTURE!

Lets roll .I'm going big and am confident
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Patt and Andy, maybe, but K-Sos is a damn good fighter. He might not be a contender, but he's solid and very respectable competition.
    I heart cock

I know one thing for sure Randy isnt getting submitted .If Nog couldnt do it Vera has no chance of submitting him.

You like Vera please explain why he has only won 3 of his last 6 fights

Losses against Keith Jardine ,Fabricio Werdum ,and Tim Sylvia B level fighter,B level fighter, B level figter

Silvia is as slow as a fighter gets and he couldnt beat him

He cant even beat guys B level fighters how is he going to beat a legend that knows everything there is to know about MMA fighting ,game plainning ,and closing the distance?
    Christ. If you wanna go all Sherdog on me then two can play that game. :)

When was Randy's last win at LHW? 2005? Mike Van who?

Vera has lost 3 of his 6. Ok let's see, Randy has lost....3 of his last 6. Also he hasn't won a fight at all in over 2 years.

As far as Brandon's losses go...

If Jardine is a B level fighter then Chuck Liddell and Forrest Griffin must be some real chumps to lose to such a can. Besides his fight with Vera was a razor thin decision that realistically could've gone either way.

Werdum is a B level fighter? Why? Because he lost to JDS? Dos Santos would smash Randy too. Werdum beat Gonzaga just like Randy. Twice actually. And faster than Randy. Beside, the stoppage in the Werdum/Vera fight was absolutely godawful terrible, and one of Dan MIragliotta's finest moments. How this is considered a legit loss is beyond me.

The Sylvia fight is his worst loss, and even then he wasn't taking much damage. If I remember correctly it was a boring clinch war. Tim may be slow and awkward but he knows how to use his physical tools well, namely his reach/jab and his size in the clinch. He may be a B level fighter by today's standards considering how fat and sloppy he showed up to get knocked out by Ray Mercer, but 2 years ago he was anything but the sort. The same Sylvia turned Nogueira into hamburger meat for 2 rounds. I hate to get too much into MMA math but that's the same Nogueira that just dominated Randy in September.

Although I have to admit, for 46 years old(or any age for that matter), Randy Couture is in TREMENDOUS shape!

I'm a little over half his age and much sloppier.