Thread: Mir / Carwin rumored for UFC 111

Mir / Carwin rumored for UFC 111

I think this will come in as basically a "pick-em" fight.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/...0273&zoneid=13

It appears the wait for a heavyweight title fight for Shane Carwin has finally been set, except it will be for an interim title, as current champion Brock Lesnar remains on the mend. Carwin will now likely face Frank Mir in an interim heavyweight title match at UFC 111 on March 27 in Newark, N.J.

The rumored bout has started to take shape sources close to the negotiations disclosed to MMAWeekly.com on Tuesday night. Possibility of the bout was first reported by AOL Fanhouse.

The likelihood of this fight came about most likely in two parts following the UFC 107 weekend that just past. First, UFC president Dana White said the company was looking to make a decision in the next 6 to 8 weeks about the future of the title with Lesnar still sidelined.

The second part was Mir's first round destruction of Cheick Kongo at UFC 107, putting the former champion squarely in the sights of another run at the title belt.

It looks like all the pieces of the puzzle have fallen together and Carwin vs. Mir is now a reality.

Speaking with MMAWeekly.com after his fight at UFC 107, Mir commented that he would be excited about a match-up against Carwin for an interim belt.

“I couldn’t argue against that,” said Mir. “Carwin is a phenomenal match-up, and I think if I can’t fight Brock again to show that I’ve made improvements against that style, I think Shane Carwin is a more than an ample substitution. If anything, I think he’s a better version.”

The bout would co-headline the UFC 111 card in Newark, along with the welterweight title bout between champion Georges St-Pierre and top contender Dan Hardy. The east coast fans have been rallying for a big card for some time now and it looks like with two title fights on board, there’s a monster card headed for the Jersey shores.
    Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

Re: Mir / Carwin rumored for UFC 111

I would seriously like to see this happen. It would answer a lot of questions about Carwin. I mean, other than Gonzaga he still hasn't really beaten anyone.
    I heart cock

If Mir is ready I think he wins .

I would open Mir as a -150 favorite
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Carwin highlight:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAlAneaYjqU

Lots of stuff from his pre-UFC fights. It's interesting to see his wrestling skills and not just his dim mak.
    I heart cock

Words from Shane:

Shane Carwin has confirmed via his website that he has accepted the offer to fight at UFC 111. While he did not mention Frank Mir, that's been the word going around. Here is what Carwin posted…

I expect to make my return to the UFC in March 2010. I will be fighting in Newark New Jersey at UFC 111. I have not signed any contracts yet but I have told my manager to inform UFC Matchmaker that "I accept the offer".

I will have been out of the Octagon for about a year when this fight happens but I expect to be in the best shape of my life.

I do hope to someday get the opportunity to punch Brock a few times and hope he has a speedy and full recovery. I look forward to fighting again, fighting is what I love to do.

I have a ton of respect for my proposed opponent. He has a good stand up game and can be effective on the ground. The only way to become the best fighter is to continually challenge yourself against the best fighters in the World.

I will let everyone know when the fight is "officially signed". Thank you for your support and thank you to my generous sponsors who have supported me on this road to the title.

-Shane
    I heart cock

If Brock is out as long as its looking, I would like to see him get a "warm up fight" before he fights Carwin or Mir.

Quote Originally Posted by IWS Zak
    If Brock is out as long as its looking, I would like to see him get a "warm up fight" before he fights Carwin or Mir.
    I just can't believe that they're obviously trying to fast-track Mir to a title shot. Sure, I wouldn't mind seeing Mir/Brock III, but not this early. What about Velasquez? I don't even really like the guy, but he's fought his way into contention. If Carwin should be fighting anyone, it's Cain, and then maybe the winner of THAT fight should fight Mir.
    I heart cock

I was thinking Carwin/Mir winner vs Nog/Cain winner.

Here's what I'm thinking:

Mir VS Nog -- a rematch we all want to see

and

Carwin VS Cain -- a fight that's been needing to happen for a while

then

the winners of those two fights fight each other and the winner of THAT fight goes on to fight Brock.
    I heart cock

Meh, I think Mir/Nog 2 would end the same as the first. Not too interested.
    Triple-six killers in this motherfucker runnin shit

Quote Originally Posted by zY|
    From a betting perspective, I would be. I would be all over Mir.

[quote=IWS Zak]
    Quote Originally Posted by "zY|":1olqdfpe
    From a betting perspective, I would be. I would be all over Mir.[/quote:1olqdfpe]

Depending on the odds I agree. I think they would be in our favor, but you never know.

I've always thought Frank Mir was the luckiest fighter on the planet, but I'm not so sure now. That little bit of strategy that he used to turn into a domination of Cheick Kongo was quite brilliant. I'm not sure how this fight will go but I'm interested to see how UberMir performs after fighting for a round or so. And Carwin for that matter as well.
    Triple-six killers in this motherfucker runnin shit

Quote Originally Posted by zY|
    I'm not sure how this fight will go but I'm interested to see how UberMir performs after fighting for a round or so. And Carwin for that matter as well.
    That could be like the Cyborg/Manhoef fight in cage rage after the first round...LOL