Thread: Brandon Vera V Jon Jones

Brandon Vera V Jon Jones

Vera V. Jon Jones Mar. 21

Vera is +210. I think Vera is gonna take this. I am making this bet now.

I know the Jon Jones hype is kinda out of hand right now, but stylistically, I do not see how Jones can beat Vera.

Jones has some fancy strikes, but hasn't shown any real power... he like to stand out at kicking range and then leap in. Vera is going to kicking him all day. He is not going to throw Vera around either, who is every bit as good or better wrestler than Jones. Both were Greco guys, and Vera has shown some very good take down defense when he wants to. If he does get take down, Vera has shown a good guard.

I think Vera wins here, terrible style matchup for Jones. Thoughts?
    2012: +19.33
    2012 Parlay project: +16.5u

Re: Brandon Vera V Jon Jones

I immediately dropped 2u on Jones at -200.

I think Vera's a good, but not great, fighter. His only big win is over an out-of-shape, demoralized Frank Mir, with close fights against Jardine and Couture that both ended in losses. You say Jon Jones doesn't have power, but Matt Hamill disagrees. I think that fight really made me a believer, because I think Jones is going to do very well in the UFC and that includes beating Vera.

Vera may surprise me, but I think Jones will dance circles around him and Vera won't know how to handle it.
    I heart cock

Im a little suprised that Jones is that big a fav, but If I were betting, I would get on Jones.

I think the Vera hype train derailed after the Mir fight.

Other than the Kryztof fight, where he looked pretty good, he hasnt looked good to me since 2006. Even when he beat Reese Andy, he looked sloppy.

He had his moments in the Couture fight, but Randy was a sitting duck for him in the standup game, so I take the striking effectiveness with a grain of salt.

Bones has dominated everyone he has been in with, and while this is a step up for him, no doubt, I think he is the new young guy that will get Vera cut from the UFC.

Just my opinion though. I wont be betting on this one.
    Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

Well Vera has been in there with pretty stiff comp. I just think Jones is going to have to beat Vera at Vera's game. They both like to strike at range, that is the kind of fight that can make Vera look good again. Jones won't be mounting Vera, I don't think he will be taking him down at all.

All the hype around Jones and the hate for Vera (btw, Vera beat Randy) makes the price right.

Everyone is jumping on Jones, who I also enjoy. But I think he gonna get beat up here, terrible style matchup for him.

SPX is against me again, but we wonn't get to go to battle for 3 more months.
    2012: +19.33
    2012 Parlay project: +16.5u

Quote Originally Posted by MMA_scientist
    Only a friendly rivalry, of course. At the end of the day, we're playing on the same team.

With that said: Jones via real-life SF2 hadouken.
    I heart cock

Quote Originally Posted by SPX
    You say Jon Jones doesn't have power, but Matt Hamill disagrees. I think that fight really made me a believer, because I think Jones is going to do very well in the UFC and that includes beating Vera.

Vera may surprise me, but I think Jones will dance circles around him and Vera won't know how to handle it.
    I totally agree. I wasn't really believing all the hype that Jones was getting until the Hamill fight. The way he took him down was so impressive. Hamill's shoulder was messed up and that is something you have to take into account, but Jones was just destroying him with strikes.

Quote Originally Posted by The HOFF
    I totally agree. I wasn't really believing all the hype that Jones was getting until the Hamill fight. The way he took him down was so impressive. Hamill's shoulder was messed up and that is something you have to take into account, but Jones was just destroying him with strikes.
    I could be wrong, but I think I remember Rogan saying during the Munoz fight that Hamill has never been on his back inside the UFC. If that's true, it makes Jones' accomplishment even more impressive. I knew that Jones was talented and a very good fighter, but I also knew that beating Bonnar and O'Brien, while good, still leaves a lot of questions in the air. He not only beat Hamill, but dominated him. Jones is going to go far.
    I heart cock

I think Jon Jones is an awesome fighter with a great future, but I have to take Vera here. He should have won the Couture fight, will be motivated and his wrestling is excellent still as shown in the Couture fight. At 200+ i think the value is with Vera.

Well Vera has been in there with pretty stiff comp. I just think Jones is going to have to beat Vera at Vera's game. They both like to strike at range, that is the kind of fight that can make Vera look good again. Jones won't be mounting Vera, I don't think he will be taking him down at all.

All the hype around Jones and the hate for Vera (btw, Vera beat Randy) makes the price right.

Everyone is jumping on Jones, who I also enjoy. But I think he gonna get beat up here, terrible style matchup for him.

Wondering why you think this is stylistically a bad fight for Jones. Even when Vera had the distance w/Couture, Vera was hardly ever first in any exchange. If Vera is not First w/Jones, he will get hurt bc Jones is striking and closing in at the same time. And anyone who can take Hamill down and easily get Vera down. No doubt. Vera has been taken down and is not the caliber of wrestler Hamill is

I would say Jones likes to strike at range but I don't think thats his game. I would say he would prefer to be in close using his athletic ability/explosiveness than striking at range with a kick boxer. His length helps him look good and fluid from range so he doesn't care to be there but I think he would prefer to be in tight.

As for vera not being taken down, if Jones wants the fight to go down, it goes down. Hamil's TDD >>>>>>> Vera's

This fight is tough to call for me because Brandon Vera is a highly skilled fighter in all areas who seems to only fight up to his competition. He rarely looks great in a fight, yet he never seems to look bad either. The only fight he really got worked was vs Werdum, and that was a putrid stoppage with the round about to end so who knows how that wouldve gone.

And Jones is still so green.
    Triple-six killers in this motherfucker runnin shit

Quote Originally Posted by zY|
    And Jones is still so green.
    This is the one thing I could see really helping Vera get the win. He is much more experienced than Jones and may be able to use the benefit of that experience to teach Jones a thing or two.
    I heart cock