Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast

Thread: Testing issues could derail Mayweather-Pacquiao

Testing issues could derail Mayweather-Pacquiao

Nearly every detail is finalized for Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao to fight on March 13 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas but one. That one detail, though, may kill the fight.

Negotiations are at an impasse over Pacquiao’s failure to agree to random Olympic-style drug testing, said Leonard Ellerbe, the CEO of Mayweather Promotions, on Tuesday.

Pacquiao trainer Freddie Roach said his fighter is willing to comply with strict drug-testing standards, but Roach won’t allow Pacquiao to have blood drawn 48 hours before the fight.

Ellerbe said he would not let Mayweather enter the ring unless Pacquiao agreed to it.

Both sides agreed that the drug testing issue is the only hurdle preventing the fight from being finished. Earlier Tuesday, Golden Boy Promotions officially requested March 13 from the Nevada State Athletic Commission to host the show.

“As Floyd’s management, we are insistent that there be a level playing field,” Ellerbe said. “This is in the best interests of the fighters, the fans and the sport. If you want a level playing field, the best way to do it is to have Olympic-style, random drug testing administered by the premier agency in the world, the [United States Anti-Doping Agency].”

Pacquiao promoter Bob Arum said the demand is “absolutely crazy,” done simply to harass Pacquiao, who is squeamish about needles, and is proof that Mayweather doesn’t really want the fight.

Arum said the request has been an unsettled issue since the first day of negotiations last month.

“We’re not going to agree to have Manny give blood in training, because that’s stupid,” Arum said. “Every doctor in the world will tell you that is stupid. He’ll give his blood at the beginning of the year and he’s willing to be urine-tested 24/7, but blood doesn’t show [expletive] and he’s not going to do it.”

In a statement released by his publicist, Mayweather said he is willing to submit to the testing. There was never any suspicion that Pacquiao had ever taken banned substances until earlier this year, when Floyd Mayweather Sr. suggested he was on steroids.

Pacquiao has passed every urine test he’s been given in connection with boxing matches.

“I understand Pacquiao not liking having his blood taken, because frankly I don’t know anyone who really does,” Mayweather said in his statement. “But in a fight of this magnitude, I think it is our responsibility to subject ourselves to sportsmanship at the highest level. I have already agreed to the testing and it is a shame that he is not willing to do the same.

“It leaves me with great doubt as to the level of fairness I would be facing in the ring that night. I hope that this is either some miscommunication or that Manny will change his mind and step up and allow these tests, which were good enough for all these other great athletes, to be performed by USADA.”

Blood tests for illegal drugs and banned substances are not required by the Nevada State Athletic Commission, which would have regulatory control of the bout if it is held in Las Vegas.

In Nevada, a fighter is required to submit to a blood test that screens for HIV and Hepatitis B and C, as well as other blood-borne diseases, as part of the requirement to gain a license.

A license in Nevada is good for one year. In Pacquiao’s case, he received his 2009 license shortly before he fought Ricky Hatton in May. He submitted his blood to the commission between April 5 and April 20, said Keith Kizer, the commission’s executive director.

Kizer said all fighters who fight in Nevada are subject to random urine tests as well as any other medical tests, such as an MRI or a CAT scan, that the commission deems necessary. Arum said Pacquiao is willing to submit to testing by an outside agency but won’t give his blood. Roach said it’s an issue because Mayweather’s side has been insisting Pacquiao give blood as close as 48 hours within the fight.

“We’ll accommodate their requests and do urine testing up the wazoo and we’ll agree to have them done by an outside agency,” Arum said. “Manny has nothing to hide. But he’s not going to give blood because that’s crazy. He’ll do it at the beginning and he’ll do it at the end. That’s how it is done. Ask some former Olympic boxers how many times they give blood.”

Ellerbe said having the testing administered by USADA would quell suspicions about the procedures or the result.

“This is no rooty toot organization,” said Ellerbe, who noted that such testing was accepted by elite athletes such as LeBron James, Kobe Bryant, Michael Phelps and Lance Armstrong.

Roach scoffed at such talk and said it won’t matter to him if the fight is not held.

“I really don’t care, because Manny doesn’t need Floyd Mayweather,” Roach said. “The tests he’s requesting are not commission tests, they’re not boxing tests and this is not an Olympic sport. A urine test is just as qualified as a blood test. [Human growth hormone] is not detected by blood or urine.”

The World Anti-Doping Agency successfully used blood testing at the 2004 Olympics in Athens to test for HGH.
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Re: Testing issues could derail Mayweather-Pacquiao

Looks like Mayweather suspects Manny of roids .Maybe that would explain why he has had no trouble jumping weight classes and still knocking people out.

Its simple for Manny to prove he's not on HGH, submit to the tests
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Quote Originally Posted by Luke
    Its simple for Manny to prove he's not on HGH, submit to the tests
    This.
    Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

I didn't think there was any test to accurately detect HGH.
    Triple-six killers in this motherfucker runnin shit

Quote Originally Posted by zY|
    I didn't think there was any test to accurately detect HGH.

Must be something new because it says rigt here:

The World Anti-Doping Agency successfully used blood testing at the 2004 Olympics in Athens to test for HGH.
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Manny has to be on HGH imo or we wouldnt even be discussing this and Manny would just take the test
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Manny has to be on HGH imo or we wouldnt even be discussing this and Manny would just take the test
    This is kind of what I'm thinking. . . Or maybe not HGH, but something.
    I heart cock

Quote Originally Posted by SPX
    This is kind of what I'm thinking. . . Or maybe not HGH, but something.

Its just makes sense ,I mean he just keeps jumping weight classes and not only carries his power but has got stronger

I dont blame Mayweather for pushing this test or even cancelling the fight if Manny refuses. Who would really want to fight someone on roids?

If the fight is cancelled people will just say Mayweather was scared which is BS because I'm 90% sure he'd win this fight.
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

This could be the death blow to boxing if this fight gets cancelled.

http://www.cbssports.com/boxing/stor...y-over-testing
    LAS VEGAS -- The promoter for Manny Pacquiao says a fight against Floyd Mayweather Jr. will not happen unless Mayweather's camp drops its insistence for Olympic-style blood testing.
    Bob Arum says if that doesn't happen by Thursday, the proposed March 13 fight that could be the richest ever in boxing is over.
    Arum accused Mayweather's camp of raising the issue not because they were worried about Pacquiao taking performance-enhancing substances, but because Mayweather never wanted to fight in the first place.
    Arum said Wednesday that Pacquiao would agree to the same testing that football and baseball players undergo but not for random tests by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency.
    He said Pacquiao would look for another opponent to fight March 13.

Quote Originally Posted by IWS Zak
    This could be the death blow to boxing if this fight gets cancelled.

http://www.cbssports.com/boxing/stor...y-over-testing
    LAS VEGAS -- The promoter for Manny Pacquiao says a fight against Floyd Mayweather Jr. will not happen unless Mayweather's camp drops its insistence for Olympic-style blood testing.
    Bob Arum says if that doesn't happen by Thursday, the proposed March 13 fight that could be the richest ever in boxing is over.
    Arum accused Mayweather's camp of raising the issue not because they were worried about Pacquiao taking performance-enhancing substances, but because Mayweather never wanted to fight in the first place.
    Arum said Wednesday that Pacquiao would agree to the same testing that football and baseball players undergo but not for random tests by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency.
    He said Pacquiao would look for another opponent to fight March 13.

Mayweather might also think he's on EPO .Its taken for better endurance by many cycling people.

If I was Mayweather and I truly believed he was on something or had good evidence he was in the past I'd jut cancel the fight if Manny doesnt want to take the test.

Manny must have something to hide
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Dont they test MMA fighters for HGH? I thought they did
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Pacquiao, who has risen through seven weight divisions to win titles in a record seven divisions while maintaining his speed and power

hmmmm
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

If I was Mayweather and I truly believed he was on something or had good evidence he was in the past I'd jut cancel the fight if Manny doesnt want to take the test.
    I think that performance-enhancing drugs can obviously enhance performance, but they can't turn you into a superhuman. If Mayweather really thinks he's that much better of a fighter than Manny, then he should just fight him. He's seen tape of Manny fight--presumably an already enhanced Manny--and it's the guy on the tape that he feels confident he can beat. So drugs or no drugs, they should fight.

Seems to me that both guys owe this fight to the sport and the fans that made them what they are in the first place.
    I heart cock

Pacquiao, who has risen through seven weight divisions to win titles in a record seven divisions while maintaining his speed and power

hmmmm
    7 weight divisions. LOL. Why are there so many fucking weight classes in boxing? What does "rising through 7 weight divisions" even mean in this case?
    I heart cock

7 divisions is around 35-40lbs in boxing these days. Way too many divisions IMO.

hmmmm
    7 weight divisions. LOL. Why are there so many fucking weight classes in boxing? What does "rising through 7 weight divisions" even mean in this case?

7 weight classes is 40 pounds .You were just saying how hard it would be for 155 pound Penn to gain 20 pounds. How hard do you think is was for 103 pound Manny to gain 40?
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

I think that performance-enhancing drugs can obviously enhance performance, but they can't turn you into a superhuman. If Mayweather really thinks he's that much better of a fighter than Manny, then he should just fight him. He's seen tape of Manny fight--presumably an already enhanced Manny--and it's the guy on the tape that he feels confident he can beat. So drugs or no drugs, they should fight.

Seems to me that both guys owe this fight to the sport and the fans that made them what they are in the first place.

Wow I expected a different response from you SPX,you always seem to me to be on the straight and narrow.

To me fighting a fighter on roids or EPO is no different than fighting a fighter with loaded gloves and I would tell anyone not to fight the fight.

You cant blame Mayweather for not wanting to fight someone thats cheating.If Manny can take drugs why cant Mayweather come in at 150 instead of 145 or where 6 oz loaded gloves instead of 10oz gloves?

Its all about safety and no one should ever take a unnecessary risk in boxing .Fighters get hit with 300-500 punches per fight so its already dangerous enough.

Blame Manny not Mayweather .All Manny has to do is take the test and the fight is on
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Fuck both of these pricks.

Mayweather for making increasingly ridiculous demands and Manny for refusing. These clowns will be fucking Oprah rich after this fight and they're arguing about drug testing.

Ludicrous.
    Triple-six killers in this motherfucker runnin shit

Wow I expected a different response from you SPX,you always seem to me to be on the straight and narrow.
    Ha ha, oh? How so? I'm curious.

To me fighting a fighter on roids or EPO is no different than fighting a fighter with loaded gloves and I would tell anyone not to fight the fight.

You cant blame Mayweather for not wanting to fight someone thats cheating.If Manny can take drugs why cant Mayweather come in at 150 instead of 145 or where 6 oz loaded gloves instead of 10oz gloves?

Its all about safety and no one should ever take a unnecessary risk in boxing .Fighters get hit with 300-500 punches per fight so its already dangerous enough.

Blame Manny not Mayweather .All Manny has to do is take the test and the fight is on
    I have mixed emotions about steroids in general. The fact of the matter is that we don't know shit about them or their long-term effects and studies are not being done. Have you ever seen the documentary Bigger,Stronger, Faster? If not, you should watch it.

In a way, I feel that if fighters can take creatine or other supplements, or sleep in oxygen chambers, to improve performance, then they should be allowed to take steroids. The only difference is that steroids just happen to be synthetic. Nevertheless, like creatine, most are merely substances that help you to build more muscle, in their case by boosting testosterone levels. On the other hand, if you don't try to enforce rules against steroid use, then it kind of shuts guys out who don't want to take that risk (whatever the risk may be . . . again, we don't really know).

Personally, if steroids weren't so fucking hard to get and so iffy in regard to exactly what you're getting when you do get them, and if you didn't potentially lose a large portion of your gains when you cycle off of them, then I would do them myself.
    I heart cock

Ha ha, oh? How so? I'm curious
    You seem to sympathize wih people that have drug,alcohol ,and depression problems for one. You get on me for watching streams instead of paying because paying is the right thing to do to support the fighters.
    I just thought you were a kinder person than me and would object to someone cheating in a fight

Its not a bad thing because I'm no where close to be a being a straight and narrow but I just didnt expect that answer from you.No big deal just surprising
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP