Thread: Weight Gain Experiment

Weight Gain Experiment

In light of our recent conversations about Pacquaio and gaining weight, I'm thinking of attempting a weight gain experiment where I try to gain 30 pounds in 12 weeks. Luke thinks it's fairly easy to gain weight (though I imagine that even he will think this goal might be unreasonable), but I know I've ALWAYS had trouble gaining more than about 10 pounds. However, I've been inspired by a few success stories including this guy who says he gained 32 lbs in 12 weeks:

I've actually known about this guy for quite a while. He won a contest back in '97 that was sponsored by EAS (the supplement company). He claims he was able to do this all natural, no steroids. If my calculations are correct, I could probably do it if I could keep my calories in the 3500 range, maybe even 3570 (which would be very hard for me to do, but I know others have done it).

If I try to do this, I'm thinking I'll create a thread here and use it as sort of a blog. Maybe post some pics. Keep track of results. Let you guys try to keep me motivated to see this thing through to the end (because I knew after a few weeks I'll be so sick of eating that I'll want to give it up).

What do you guys think
    I heart cock

Re: Weight Gain Experiment

Sounds interesting. Im down to see how it works for you.
    Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

I'm seriously thinking about it. Just have to figure out if I'm ready mentally to crack down and give it a shot.

But making this public and having you guys hold me accountable would be a big part of what would keep me going.
    I heart cock

What's so fucking hard about 3500 calories?

I swear I get that in one sitting when I mow down a whole large Dominos pizza.
    Triple-six killers in this motherfucker runnin shit

Quote Originally Posted by zY|
    What's so fucking hard about 3500 calories?

I swear I get that in one sitting when I mow down a whole large Dominos pizza.
    3500 calories is fucking hard! Right now I probably get between 1500 and 2000 cals a day.

Keep in mind that only weigh 138 lbs.

The last time I made a genuine effort to gain weight I was only targeting 3,000 cals a day and it was very hard for me. Most of the days I actually hit my calorie count for the day were the days where I finished the night with a 6 pack of beer.
    I heart cock

Seriously, I just added it up. The pizza we ordered tonight, the 6 slices I ate plus the lava cake and dr pepper, I ate 2283 calories in 15 minutes. 2283 shitty calories no doubt.

That's fucking disgusting. LOL

138 lbs? How tall are you?

I think if I ate 3500 calories a day, I would lose weight.
    Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

Seriously, I just added it up. The pizza we ordered tonight, the 6 slices I ate plus the lava cake and dr pepper, I ate 2283 calories in 15 minutes. 2283 shitty calories no doubt.

That's fucking disgusting. LOL

138 lbs? How tall are you?
    I'm 5'6"ish. Maybe closer to 5'7", not sure.

I've always been small and I've always hated it. I was 14 the first time I said FUCK IT and started trying to gain weight. Still haven't had a whole lot of success though.

All through high school and my first stint of college (so back around the turn of the century) I hovered between 118 and 122 lbs. When I really tried to gain, I would get up to about 126. Now that I'm a little older, I usually stay around 138 when I'm not working at it. I think the heaviest I've ever been is 145.

Personally, I'd like to be around 160 or 170.
    I heart cock

Sounds like we have a similar build, I'm just taller.

I'm 6'1"ish and weigh 170, and that's the heaviest I've ever been. It's always been hard for me to gain too. I think my metabolism is slowing down. I've gained like 15 pounds this year not trying.

BTW if you get to 170 we can start calling you Sean Sherk.

Sounds like we have a similar build, I'm just taller.

I'm 6'1"ish and weigh 170, and that's the heaviest I've ever been. It's always been hard for me to gain too. I think my metabolism is slowing down. I've gained like 15 pounds this year not trying.

BTW if you get to 170 we can start calling you Sean Sherk.
    The funny thing is that I've always admired Sherk because of his physique. I mean, that dude is ripped. Never been a huge fan of his fighting style, but I have a Sean Sherk shirt and I cheer for him just because he's a short guy who: a) has an awesome physique, and b) has stepped up and beat almost every WW opponent he has faced.

Honestly though, if I were to pick a guy at LW that I'd like to look like, it would probably be either Guillard or Kitaoka (in the Hirota fight especially).

How old are you, by the way?
    I heart cock

Word.

I just turned 28 two days ago (though people tell me I still look like I'm 19). I was 25 when my metabolism started slowing down and I broke the 130 lb. mark for the first time.
    I heart cock

Quote Originally Posted by SPX
    I'm seriously thinking about it. Just have to figure out if I'm ready mentally to crack down and give it a shot.

But making this public and having you guys hold me accountable would be a big part of what would keep me going.
    Try Muscle Milk. A few years ago, I was trying to get over 180 (starting from 160). I did it by lifting a lot (4 days a week) and two servings of Muscle Milk a day. Got up to 181.. got to the point where I either had to, a) stop or b) buy new clothes. It's a little pricey, but you can find it cheap online. It's also probably better for you than a Domino's Pizza, every day as well :)

I started doing triathlons (obviously)... so I lost it (had to) pretty quickly, but it is possible. You just have to write it down and stick to it.

Quote Originally Posted by triathlete
    Try Muscle Milk. A few years ago, I was trying to get over 180 (starting from 160). I did it by lifting a lot (4 days a week) and two servings of Muscle Milk a day. Got up to 181.. got to the point where I either had to, a) stop or b) buy new clothes. It's a little pricey, but you can find it cheap online. It's also probably better for you than a Domino's Pizza, every day as well :)

I started doing triathlons (obviously)... so I lost it (had to) pretty quickly, but it is possible. You just have to write it down and stick to it.
    Thanks for the info. Interesting stuff. how long did it take you to get to 181?

I know about Muscle Milk. Seems I may have used it at some point. I think it made me sick to my stomach, though that may have been something else like it.

Lately I've gotten into making my own MRP: 1 scoop of regular protein powder, 2 tablespoons heavy cream, 1/2 banana, 2 strawberries, water . . . I think that's it, but it's been a little while since I last made it so that might be everything.
    I heart cock

Quote Originally Posted by IWS Zak
    I think if I ate 3500 calories a day, I would lose weight.

2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Quote Originally Posted by SPX
    Thanks for the info. Interesting stuff. how long did it take you to get to 181?

I know about Muscle Milk. Seems I may have used it at some point. I think it made me sick to my stomach, though that may have been something else like it.

Lately I've gotten into making my own MRP: 1 scoop of regular protein powder, 2 tablespoons heavy cream, 1/2 banana, 2 strawberries, water . . . I think that's it, but it's been a little while since I last made it so that might be everything.
    Took me 4-5 months, if I remember correctly. I had a gym partner who was a great guy and really challenging. Pushed me pretty hard when we lifted. I think that helps too.. someone to encourage you and check you from time to time.

Yeah, you have to go with what works for you. The nice thing is MM has 300 calories in a serving... so you could put 3 scoops in there and knock off 5-600 calories with one cup. Throw in some ice cream and you have a nice post-workout recovery/weight gain drink. If your stomach doesn't like it, it doesn't like it, though, and you just have to mix and match. When I do triathlons, my stomach doesn't take gels. Just wreaks havoc on my stomach... so I have to drink everything (gatorade, accelerade, heed). Just the way it is.

I don't know how many calories are in your concoction, but try peanut butter, or ice cream in it next time. Part of the reason America has an obesity problem is "easy-drinking" soda. Mt. Dew is somewhere around 170 calories a serving. I had a friend who would drink a 6 pack every day playing WoW (or similar). 6X170 is 1020 calories... and you really don't even think twice about it. So, you can see it's easy to drink your calories, if you do it right.. can be good or bad.

Calories in - Calories out = Calorie balance. 3500 calories is a pound. Easy-peasy when you think about it.

Either way, I'm not a nutritionist or a dietitian, so I only know what works for my physiology. My wife has a friend who is 130 pounds, and that boy could take in 15000 calories and still not gain a pound! :) Then again, he is Vietnamese and I don't know of too many large Viet guys... except Cung Le.

Best of luck