Thread: Gomi signs with UFC

Gomi signs with UFC

I think its too late for him now, to make a title run.

Best fight I ever seen was Diaz/Gomi

LAS VEGAS -- Takanori Gomi, once considered to be one of the best lightweight fighters in the world, has signed a multi-fight contract with the UFC. MMAFighting.com learned of the acquisition from sources on Friday.

Nicknamed "The Fireball Kid," Gomi (31-5-0, 1 NC) had talked about wanting to sign with Strikeforce or the UFC in 2010, and recently spent some time training at the American Kickboxing Academy in San Jose, Calif.

No word on when and where Gomi will make his debut for the UFC. The organization has yet to officially announce the signing.

The former PRIDE lightweight champion has recently gotten his career back on track after losing two straight fights in Sengoku. Gomi followed up his victory over Takahashi Nakakura at the Shooto: Traditional Final event in May with a unanimous decision win over Tony Hervey at Vale Tudo Japan 2009 in October.

He holds notable victories over Rumina Sato, Jens Pulver, Hayato Sakurai, Duane Ludwig and Mitsuhiro Ishida.
    Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

Re: Gomi signs with UFC

Look like Dana signed someone to feed to Penn after a few cupcake fights
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Sweet!

Triple-six killers in this motherfucker runnin shit

Quote Originally Posted by zY|
    Sweet!

Nice

Id like to see Gomi fight Florini.

Florini, Diego, Edgar, hell Nate Diaz even. Lots of interesting fights.

The only person I want to see fight Penn is Aoki.

Like, yesterday.

Then Japan will understand that we're still wrecking their shit like 70 years after World War II.

USA MUTHAFUCKA!

I heart cock

Quote Originally Posted by zY|
    Diego
    YES!

Quote Originally Posted by SPX
    The only person I want to see fight Penn is Aoki.

Like, yesterday.

Then Japan will understand that we're still wrecking their shit like 70 years after World War II.

USA MUTHAFUCKA!

Hell I want to see Penn fight all those guys.

Aoki, Hellboy, Crusher, JZ, Alvarez

Those would all be epic fights.

Quote Originally Posted by IWS Zak

Kenny Florian’s name has emerged as the first potential UFC challenger for recently signed Takanori Gomi.

ESPN’s “MMA Live” show, of which Florian is a host, posted on its Twitter account Saturday that the 33-year-old Boston native will face the former Pride lightweight champion in his promotional debut this year.

When asked Saturday if Florian had been tapped for the job, UFC President Dana White simply said, “Could be. There's a lot of guys that could fight Gomi in that division. I don't know.”

Gomi, 31, had a healthy run for Shooto and then Pride Fighting Championships in Japan, amassing double-digit win streaks in both promotions. A self-professed boxer, Gomi has knocked out former UFC lightweight champion Jens Pulver and Shooto legend Hayato Sakurai, among others.

Gomi made his U.S. debut for Hawaii’s Rumble on the Rock promotion in October 2003 and was submitted in the third round by current UFC lightweight champion B.J. Penn. He also appeared in the U.S. for Pride in February 2007, losing in the second round to Nick Diaz. However, the contest was later ruled a no contest when Diaz tested positive for marijuana.

In recent bouts, Gomi has struggled, dropping two of his last four outings to Sergey Golyaev and Satoru Kitaoka.

A runner-up for the first season of “The Ultimate Fighter,” Florian has won 10 out of his 13 appearances in the Octagon, besting 155-pound standouts Joe Stevenson, Roger Huerta, and Sam Stout along the way. Florian was unsuccessful in his two bids for the promotion’s lightweight crown against Sean Sherk in October 2006 and reigning champion Penn at UFC 101 last August.

Don't think that's a good idea for his first fight. Could be a great fight, but then again Florini has the potential to make him look silly.

Give him someone like Spencer Fisher. Supposedly he's wanting to fight him anyways.

In a recent blog post on The Underground Forums UFC lightweight Spencer Fisher says that he has always idolized the fighting style of Gomi and would be honored at having the chance to face him for his upcoming debut.
    “Since I’ve started mma Gomi is one of the guys I looked up to and copied some of my style from him. And I’ve always talked about guys diving for my shoelaces and the script might be flipped this time! LOL But of all the fights in the world that one excites me the most. I would have to be in tip top shape to fight someone of his caliber. So I’ve seen some of the other posts that people said they would like to see me fight him.”
    http://urdirt.com/2010/01/04/spencer-fi ... ufc-debut/

I like Florini in this one.

Kenny Florian and Takanori Gomi will meet in a headlining lightweight bout at UFC Fight Night 21 on March 31 at the Bojangles Coliseum in Charlotte, N.C., Spike TV announced on Wednesday.

The event will broadcast live on the cable channel at 8:00 p.m. EST/PST.

Florian, a runner-up on season one of “The Ultimate Fighter,” earned a second-round submission victory against Clay Guida at UFC 107 last December in Memphis, Tenn. The 33-year-old fighter made two unsuccessful bids for the UFC lightweight title, losing to current champion B.J. Penn at UFC 101 last August and to Sean Sherk at UFC 64 in October 2006.

Gomi, a recent acquisition for the promotion, enjoyed a fruitful career for Pride Fighting Championships in Japan, reeling off ten consecutive wins for the now-defunct promotion between 2004-2005. The former lightweight champion has gone 3-2 in his last five outings, and earned a unanimous decision over Tony Hervey at Vale Tudo Japan 2009 last October.