Thread: Pacquiao will now fight Clottey

Pacquiao will now fight Clottey

With his fight against Floyd Mayweather Jr. all but off, Manny Pacquiao has instead agreed to fight Joshua Clottey on March 13 at a site to be determined, Pacquiao's camp said Friday.

Clottey's manager told ESPN.com's Dan Rafael that he spoke to Pacquiao's promoter, Top Rank's Bob Arum, on Friday about the fight's details but would only confirm a "seven-figure" purse.

"Josh is ecstatic about it," Vinny Scolpino told ESPN.com. "I think we can get this done in a couple of days. He's coming home [to New York from Ghana] on Monday."

The Pacquiao-Mayweather bout, which had also been tentatively set for March 13, was called off Wednesday night by Arum after mediation failed to resolve their issues over drug-testing protocol.

Clottey (35-3, 20 KOs) last fought in a split decision loss to welterweight titlist Miguel Cotto on June 13, a fight many believed Clottey won.

"It's the biggest payday he ever made in his life," Scolpino told ESPN.com. "He should be doing flips. It's a huge opportunity."

Trainer Freddie Roach first told ESPN's Brian Kenny of Pacquiao's plan Friday afternoon, before Arum confirmed the news to The Associated Press.

Clottey had last been slated to fight Carlos Quintana on Dec. 5. But that undercard bout was called off when Kelly Pavlik pulled out of the main event against Paul Williams with a lingering hand injury.

Mayweather maintained Thursday night that he still wanted to fight Pacquiao. The final issue in the negotiation for the megafight was drug testing.

"That would have been a tremendous fight. I wanted to see it," Scolpino said. "But this is boxing. It's crazy."

Pacquiao and Mayweather had agreed to unlimited random urine testing, but Mayweather also insisted on random blood testing, even though the Nevada State Athletic Commission, which would oversee the bout at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, requires only urine testing.

Pacquiao (50-3-2, 38 KOs) didn't want blood testing but later relented and agreed to three blood tests: one during the week of the kickoff news conference, which would have taken place next week, one random test to be conducted no later than 30 days before the fight and a final test in his dressing room after the fight. Mayweather (40-0, 25 KOs) would be subject to the same testing procedures.

When they could not come to an agreement, Top Rank and Golden Boy Promotions, which represents Mayweather, turned to a mediator, retired judge Daniel Weinstein, who had successfully mediated a series of disputes between Top Rank and Golden Boy in 2007.

But after nine hours in mediation on Tuesday in Santa Monica, Calif., and further attempts to come to a resolution on Wednesday failed, the fight was pronounced dead by the Pacquiao camp.
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Re: Pacquiao will now fight Clottey

Boxing = Clusterfuck
    Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

should Pac win this one?

Quote Originally Posted by UKDonkbet
    should Pac win this one?

oh yeah with ease
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

I wanted to see Pacquaio/Mayweather as much as anyone. The only good thing is I think this will actually be a more exciting fight to watch. Clottey will come forward and fight Pacquaio. Not like Mayweather who has that defensive/backing up style.

Manny -455
    Clottey +275

-455 thats insane
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Quote Originally Posted by Luke
    Manny -455
    Clottey +275

-455 thats insane

Insane how? Pac should be steeper or cheaper?

Clottey shouldnt be -455 to Godzilla let own Manny.This line is just stupid. If I can get +400 or better on Clottey I'll probably throw a small bet down on him
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Clottey shouldnt be -455 to Godzilla let own Manny.This line is just stupid. If I can get +400 or better on Clottey I'll probably throw a small bet down on him
    You mentioned earlier that Pac should win this one "with ease." -455 is an 82% chance. You don't think he wins this one 82% of the time?
    I heart cock

Quote Originally Posted by SPX
    You mentioned earlier that Pac should win this one "with ease." -455 is an 82% chance. You don't think he wins this one 82% of the time?

82% of the time? no

While I think Manny still wins there is no way he should be -455 to Clottey .Clottey might walk into the ring at 170 pounds and will be outweighing Manny by 25 pounds.I probably wont even bet the fight but at these odds you would have to take Clottey
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Let me clarify .I still think Manny wins but when I say "with ease" that only calculates to about a -300 or less wager for me . I hate laying juice and really hate big juice.

With this line being so high it will probably be just a shits and giggles bet on Clottey for me
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

So it's not GSP vs Serra?
    I heart cock

So it's not GSP vs Serra?

GSP-Serra I or GSP-Serra 2??

Because in GSP-Serra I an overpriced favorite lost to someone no one thought he could . In the second fight GSP destroyed him like he should have.

I think Manny wins but the odds are just way too high for me to take. You know kind of like you think Couture will win but the odds are higher than you think they should be
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

GSP-Serra I or GSP-Serra 2??

Because in GSP-Serra I an overpriced favorite lost to someone no one thought he could . In the second fight GSP destroyed him like he should have.
    Just saying that you're not saying there's that big of a gap in abilities here.

I mean, I love Serra and love the fact that he beat GSP, but I know he loses that fight 95% of the time.

I think Manny wins but the odds are just way too high for me to take. You know kind of like you think Couture will win but the odds are higher than you think they should be
    Yeah, I hear you. -300 is usually pretty much my limit, unless we're talking about the most dominant guys like Fedor, GSP, or Penn and even then I usually stay away.
    I heart cock

Where are you getting your odds from, Luke?

Bodog has Pac for -365. Would you take it?
    I heart cock

If I can get something in the -350 range and under, Ill probably get on Pac myself.
    Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

Where are you getting your odds from, Luke?

Bodog has Pac for -365. Would you take it?

Sportsinteraction had -455 .It was the only place that had odd up at the time.IDK -365 is still higher than I want to lay .If it creeps down I might take it
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Let me also say both Clottey and Pac-Man are promoted by the same guy (Arum) .You have to be weary of fights like this. You never know when Arum will just tell Manny and Clottey to put on a good show .

Look at it this way . If Manny destroys Clottey then Clottey wont get another big fight . If Clottey destroys Manny the Mayweather -Manny fight will never happen.If they fight a great fight and Manny wins a close decision everyone wins in the fight. If Clottey and Manny werent promoted by the same person I would be eager to take Clottey.Clottey is a better matchup to Manny than Cotto

I'm starting to think over 9.5 rounds is the play
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

I'm starting to think over 9.5 rounds is the play
    Interesting, Luke. Someone on the Junkie forum said something similar, but for different reasons.
    I heart cock