Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11161718192021

Thread: UFC on Versus 1: Discussion

Re: UFC on Versus 1: Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by SPX
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke
    Its monday everyones at work lol
    Me too! Hell, that's where I get most of my posting done around here. . .

LOL me too

I usually get all my work done for the day in the mornings then the last 2-3 hours I play on the internet all day
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Well I figured if Jones was able to take him down then Vera wouldn't be able to do much on the ground. I had not heard Vera say that he was going to allow himself to be taken down, but if I had then I'd have been that much more confident in Jones. Like you, my concern was Vera outpointing Jones on the feet.
    I heard Vera's comment but I didn't pay any attention to it, and I think it was correct not to. I never listen much to what fighters and their camps say to the media prefight. They only say stuff for the purposes of hyping the fight and trying to get inside their opponent's head; giving quality info to bettors is not on the list. The classic line is when a fighter who is at a clear disadvantage on the feet says he's happy to stand and trade. Funny, I didn't notice Gonzaga hesitate to go for that takedown. So I don't believe for a minute that Vera wasn't training the hell out of his takedown defense last month, he just didn't have the skill to stay up. Smart fighters don't give out information on their strategy before the fight, and Brandon Vera probably doesn't either.

I thought Vera had a decent chance to keep it standing and use his more technical striking on Jones. IMO, the possibility of him getting a sub on the ground only made a small contribution to his winning chances. As soon as Jones showed he could toss Vera around, I thought he had the fight.

And I gotta say, I think Jones pretty much deserves the hype train he's going to get now. In his last two fights he's shown that he has:
    1) Wicked takedowns, even against guys with established takedown defense.
    2) Extremely pointy elbows.

Whatever you make of his wacky striking, those two things could take him very far in this game. And even if he does have a weakness to submissions, who is he going to run into that has the skills to exploit it? Vera clearly wasn't the guy, and it's not like he's in the MW division (with Palhares and Maia) or the HW division (Mir, Big Nog, Gonzaga). LHW doesn't have a ton of top BJJ talent. Maybe Little Nog would be a problem for him.

rating for Versus' first UFC fight: 0.6 rating/727K homes/1.2M viewers, placing it in 959th place for the week among cable shows.
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

rating for Versus' first UFC fight: 0.6 rating/727K homes/1.2M viewers, placing it in 959th place for the week among cable shows.
    What the fuck? How many fucking shows are there even?
    I heart cock

What the fuck? How many fucking shows are there even?

I have no idea .Theres 100 cable channels and each channel probably has a 100 shows a week so 10k? Thats just a complete guess though
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP