Thread: Diego back to 170?

Diego back to 170?

Deigo Sanchez is apparently thinking of moving back up to the welterweight division after failing to capture the lightweight title from BJ Penn in his last fight. The fight was Sanchez’s third in the UFC lightweight division, where he had gone 2-1.

Sachez left a message on his Facebook account this morning saying he was “going back up to 170”. The message has since been removed, but the move would be an understandable one on Sanchez’s part given the unlikely prospect of him beating BJ Penn should he get a rematch down the line.

Sanchez’s fight with Penn at UFC 107 was very one-sided and Sanchez has a difficult cut to make 155. If there is no prospect of him becoming the lightweight champion in the near future then he is unlikely to want to go through those gruelling cuts for the sake of being number two in the division (even that status would require a fight with Kenny Florian).

Sanchez was on a two fight winning streak at welterweight before dropping down. But in his two fights prior to that he had lost to perennial welterweight contenders Jon Fitch and Josh Koscheck. Witht eh 175 title out of reach, Sanchez set his heart on capturing the lightweight belt.

If he returns to welterweight he is entering choppier waters than the ones he left. Sanchez could find himself fighting Koscheck again, or rising starts like Anthony Johnson and Paul ‘Semtex’ Daley. If Dan Hardy is unsuccessful in his efforts to wrest the belt from Geroges St. Pierre, that match is also an obvious one.

At time of writing, Sanchez’s Facebook message had been removed and there was no corresponding message on his Twitter or Myspace accounts.
    http://www.fightersonlymagazine.co.uk/n ... hp?id=3788
    I heart cock

Re: Diego back to 170?

He definitely looked healthier at 170. Looks kind of gaunt at 155, in my opinion.

Not sure what he plans on doing in the division, though. It's not like he's beating GSP, but maybe he feels like if he's not going to be champ them he might as well be fighting at a weight he's physically comfortable at.
    I heart cock

I think dropping to 155 was a terrible decision. He's better at 170.
    Triple-six killers in this motherfucker runnin shit

Quote Originally Posted by SPX
    He definitely looked healthier at 170. Looks kind of gaunt at 155, in my opinion.

Not sure what he plans on doing in the division, though. It's not like he's beating GSP, but maybe he feels like if he's not going to be champ them he might as well be fighting at a weight he's physically comfortable at.

Maybe he wants avenge his losses to Fitch and Kos. Here's to them beating him again

Diego