Page 38 of 41 FirstFirst ... 283334353637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: Evans-Rampage UFC 114

Re: Evans-Rampage UFC 114

Quote Originally Posted by Svino
    Man, I couldn't disagree more about 5 vs. 3 round fights. I don't think any fight should be scheduled for 5 rounds from the start. Boring 5 round fights will kill the sport.

On the other hand, some sort of system with "overtime" rounds in the fight is really close might work.

Having a 3 round fight in MMA in the equivalent of having a 7 round fight in boxing which is just dumb. I say make fights 4 rounds and if its tied go to a 5th round.If its a blowout its only one extra round.

3 rounds fights are just gay . 15 minutes of fighting? Come on the "rounds" use to be longer than 15 minutes in the UFC
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Quote Originally Posted by zY|

3 rounds is simply not enough time for evenly matched top fighters to decide a winner. You will see the light eventually.

+1
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

3 rounds is simply not enough time for evenly matched top fighters to decide a winner. You will see the light eventually.
    I both agree and disagree.

I for damn sure wouldn't want to see 5 rounds of LnP. Or 5 rounds of an UNevenly matched fight.

I know you've said before that you think ALL fights should be 5 rounds. That would SUCK.

But I thing Svino might be onto something with an overtime system.
    I heart cock

Quote Originally Posted by SPX
    I both agree and disagree.

I for damn sure wouldn't want to see 5 rounds of LnP. Or 5 rounds of an UNevenly matched fight.

I know you've said before that you think ALL fights should be 5 rounds. That would SUCK.

But I thing Svino might be onto something with an overtime system.
    So some fights will be boring.

Baseball games are boring. I'm ok with it. The pros far outweigh the cons.

Give me 7 round title fights as well. That's 1 minute less than a 12 round boxing match.
    Triple-six killers in this motherfucker runnin shit

WHAT?

Shogun is going to murder Rashad. All he had on Rampage was no ring rust and a speed advantage, things he won't have over Shogun.

Didnt mean Evans was going to win or even has a chance.Evans is a better matchup imo against Shogun and the odds will be worse than we could have got shogun had he been fighting Rampage
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

+5.5u. Would have been almost 10u if Rampage would have won.

Man, I couldn't disagree more about 5 vs. 3 round fights. I don't think any fight should be scheduled for 5 rounds from the start. Boring 5 round fights will kill the sport.

On the other hand, some sort of system with "overtime" rounds in the fight is really close might work.
    Well, the catch would be knowing in advance that they're evenly matched. In the vast majority of five round fights that I can think of, I could easily predict what would happen in the last two rounds by having seen the first three.

I agree that two more rounds would have been good for Briz - Nog, but I don't think Evans - Rampage called for it at all. In the first three rounds, we saw a clear pattern of Evans controlling Rampage that would have just been repeated in 4 and 5. All Page had was that one punch and what he could work off of it.

But yeah, if you called more 10-10 rounds, you might be able to work an overtime system with 3 round fights. Alternatively, you could schedule fights for 5 rounds, but call them off after 3rd or 4th round if one fighter had an advantage on the scorecards that couldn't be overcome by the other fighter winning every remaining round (10-9).

Give me 7 round title fights as well. That's 1 minute less than a 12 round boxing match.

I'm all for that .

Let the guys with no cardio find a new sport.Gracie-Sakuraba went seven 15 minute rounds in PRIDE and these guys can barely go 9 minutes. And then Sakuraba fought again that night.

9 minutes or 95 minutes?
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Quote Originally Posted by Luke

WHAT?

Shogun is going to murder Rashad. All he had on Rampage was no ring rust and a speed advantage, things he won't have over Shogun.

Didnt mean Evans was going to win or even has a chance.Evans is a better matchup imo against Shogun and the odds will be worse than we could have got shogun had he been fighting Rampage
    Gotcha.

Shogun won't lay around like Silva or Rampage and let him recover. He has some of the best finishing instincts in the sport. Plus, despite the fact that Rashad is a "Rolles Gracie black belt", if he takes Shogun down he's probably going to get swept almost immediately. His best chance is to try to tire Shogun out with relentless takedowns, but I don't see it. Rashad tires himself out just as much with all that fence clinching. Shogun will hurt him.

Also consider how many fights can be fit into a PPV broadcast. Do you really want to pay $50--not that you do or anything--to watch 3 fights?
    I heart cock

Well, the catch would be knowing in advance that they're evenly matched. In the vast majority of five round fights that I can think of, I could easily predict what would happen in the last two rounds by having seen the first three.

I agree that two more rounds would have been good for Briz - Nog, but I don't think Evans - Rampage called for it at all. In the first three rounds, we saw a clear pattern of Evans controlling Rampage that would have just been repeated in 4 and 5. All Page had was that one punch and what he could work off of it.

But yeah, if you called more 10-10 rounds, you might be able to work an overtime system with 3 round fights. Alternatively, you could schedule fights for 5 rounds, but call them off after 3rd or 4th round if one fighter had an advantage on the scorecards that couldn't be overcome by the other fighter winning every remaining round (10-9).
    You're compromising.

I can see you're rounding the corner.

Gotcha.

Shogun won't lay around like Silva or Rampage and let him recover. He has some of the best finishing instincts in the sport. Plus, despite the fact that Rashad is a "Rolles Gracie black belt", if he takes Shogun down he's probably going to get swept almost immediately. His best chance is to try to tire Shogun out with relentless takedowns, but I don't see it. Rashad tires himself out just as much with all that fence clinching. Shogun will hurt him.

I dont think Evans stands a chance but I'm sure the odds will be higher than I want to bet
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Also consider how many fights can be fit into a PPV broadcast. Do you really want to pay $50--not that you do or anything--to watch 3 fights?
    It is what it is.

Put the 3 round low level fights on the undercard or fight nights. Top15 or so guys need longer. Grown folks fight 5 rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke

Gotcha.

I dont think Evans stands a chance but I'm sure the odds will be higher than I want to bet
    I don't think so either, but I'm just trying to be realistic. Shogun's biggest weakness is his porous takedown defense. He also hasn't had to work hard since the Coleman fight, so who knows how good his cardio really is? The last 2 fights he had to work hard in he either lost or looked terrible.

I don't think so either, but I'm just trying to be realistic. Shogun's biggest weakness is his porous takedown defense. He also hasn't had to work hard since the Coleman fight, so who knows how good his cardio really is? The last 2 fights he had to work hard in he either lost or looked terrible.
    He didn't have to work hard for the first Machida fight?
    I heart cock

You're compromising.

I can see you're rounding the corner.
    Yeah, I'm all for seeing more of close fights. But boring 5 round fights need to never happen. When fans get a boring 3 round fight, they grumble a little bit. When they see a boring 5 round fight, they get pissed. There's something about those extra two rounds that send people over the edge. Going over the last several: Shields / Hendo, Mo / Mousassi, Melendez / Aoki, Silva / Maia, GSP / Hardy, I don't think the last two rounds of these fights served any real purpose at all; everything was clear by the end of round 3. Even in the close one: Penn / Edgar, it wasn't like rounds 4 and 5 followed a different pattern or shed that much light on which fighter was better.

Quote Originally Posted by Thewiseman
    +5.5u. Would have been almost 10u if Rampage would have won.
    Grats,

I made a couple of bad calls (Sanchez, Miller) but fortunately didn't bet too much on them, so I'm up 4.5 U for the night. I can't complain; Diabate saved my bacon.

Even in the close one: Penn / Edgar, it wasn't like rounds 4 and 5 followed a different pattern or shed that much light on which fighter was better.
    I would actually disagree here. I think that Penn's cardio really became a factor in the later rounds.

He easily won the first two rounds, in my opinion.

After that, Edgar started to capitalize on Penn's waning cardio.
    I heart cock

He didn't have to work hard for the first Machida fight?
    I'm just saying it was mostly standup, he controlled the pace, and the pace was fairly slow and methodical.

I'm just being devil's advocate. I think his cardio is much improved now too. Just trying to point out possible things Rashad can exploit.

-6.5u
    2013: +8.24u(increased unit size on 5/19)
    Favorites: 20-6 + 6.13u
    Underdogs: 10-19 -2.51u
    Ludo's Locks Parlay Project: +1.4u

2012: +20.311u