Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast

Thread: UFC signs boxer James Toney

UFC signs boxer James Toney

After a long period of off-again, on-again courtship, the UFC has pulled the trigger and signed 41-year-old boxing champion James Toney.

UFC President Dana White confirmed the signing to MMA Fighting after it was first reported by FiveOuncesofPain.com.

Toney had actively campaigned for a contract from the UFC, following White around the country to several events and eventually meeting with him. Toney reportedly turned down at least one contract offer before signing.

Asked when Toney would debut, White said he had "no idea."

With a professional boxing record of 73-6-2 with one no contest, Toney is among the great boxers of his era, winning titles in six different weight classes ranging from middleweight to heavyweight.

In the past, White noted that he'd have some trouble passing Toney off as a legitimate mixed martial artist after criticizing other late career changers like Herschel Walker, but he always voiced an interest in Toney as a "real fighter" capable of making the transition.

"Listen, let me tell you what: I got blasted this week? Let me make this fight (with Toney)," White said after UFC 108. "That will get me f****** blasted. I'm the first guy out there going, 'This is a freak show. Who would put on a fight like this?' I'm the first guy that would say that. I'm always saying it when freak shows happen. I don't know what's going to happen."

Toney has reportedly been training in MMA for some time in hopes of making his octagon debut. Now it appears he'll finally get the chance he's campaigned for, and that he will become the most decorated boxer ever to fight in the UFC.

Dana getting ready to put some his own freak shows on.
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Re: UFC signs boxer James Toney

Props on all these posts Luke. Your posting the shit here before I get a chance to see it.

That being said.

WTF, seriously? Kimbo vs Toney now?

Since Toney was talking so much shit, I really want dana to throw him to the wolves. Let him fight the JDS/Gonzaga winner, or whichever guy (Cain or the Mir/Carwin winner) who doesnt get to fight Lesnar.
    Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

They need to put him in there with some high level grappler, but no name fighter. I would like to see him fight someone like Eric Schaefer or a wrestler type with no name. Someone that willnot play his game at all and just Royce Gracie him into shame.

Edit, didn't think he was HW. Stephen Neal.
    2012: +19.33
    2012 Parlay project: +16.5u

Quote Originally Posted by IWS Zak
    Props on all these posts Luke. Your posting the shit here before I get a chance to see it.

That being said.

WTF, seriously? Kimbo vs Toney now?

Since Toney was talking so much shit, I really want dana to throw him to the wolves. Let him fight the JDS/Gonzaga winner, or whichever guy (Cain or the Mir/Carwin winner) who doesnt get to fight Lesnar.

Thats my guess Toney-Kimbo
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Toney started training with Juanito Ibarra (Rampages old trainer)less than a month ago.
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

I know Kimbo is fighting Mitrione, but I could see them changing that.

Quote Originally Posted by IWS Zak
    I know Kimbo is fighting Mitrione, but I could see them changing that.

I think Toney will fight a bum first ,you know Houston Alexander
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Just read Dana said Toney is going to fight at 205 not heavyweight .I dont know how thats going to workout since he hasnt been that small since 2003.
    It looks like Dana might be eyeing someone like Liddell intead of Kimbo as an opponent
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

I can see Toney being matched up againt any of the following:

Kimbo

Liddell

Couture

and if he could pass them then a Rampage or Anderson Silva.

All these fighters are stand up fighters and thats the only chance toney would have.
    Of course he might fight a no name and get destroyed so these may never happen
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

LMFAO at this whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke
    Just read Dana said Toney is going to fight at 205 not heavyweight .I dont know how thats going to workout since he hasnt been that small since 2003.
    It looks like Dana might be eyeing someone like Liddell intead of Kimbo as an opponent
    No fucking way Dana wants Chuck to fight Toney. Dana wants to give Chuck fights he can win. (I know Chuck could beat him easily, but he won't because he'll stand with him and get KTFO again)

And why 205? If he's at HW I say give him the Struve/Nelson winner(or loser) to tie him in knots. If LHW, I say let Krystoff kimura his face off on the undercard.
    Triple-six killers in this motherfucker runnin shit

Maybe when Tweeto pulls out of the Liddell fight, toney can fight him.

Quote Originally Posted by zY|
    I say let Krystoff kimura his face off.
    Sos via Kimura on his left titty.

I guess Dana was getting jelous of Strikforce getting some positive press the last couple days, he had to do something.

When are we signing Jose Canseco?

Maybe he could debut against Toney? Winner fights Brett Favre.

I know man, this is crazy. (This is sparta?)

If Dana wasnt such a fuckin hippocrite, it wouldnt be so bad.

If Strikeforce did this, he would be having a press conference laughing at them.

No fucking way Dana wants Chuck to fight Toney. Dana wants to give Chuck fights he can win. (I know Chuck could beat him easily, but he won't because he'll stand with him and get KTFO again)

And why 205? If he's at HW I say give him the Struve/Nelson winner(or loser) to tie him in knots. If LHW, I say let Krystoff kimura his face off on the undercard.

205 would be best for Toney . He's not strong enough or naturally big enough to be a HW. He started boxing at 160 so that would be like BJ Penn fighting HW now. I think Dana wants Toney in shape is why he's making him fight 205. Toney's been as high as 240 for fights but his last one he weighed 219 so if he does try 205 shouldnt be a problem .

I still say stick Toney against Kimbo. I mean how long can Dana drag along the Kimbo bit when everyone knows he's not the future and will never win a title?
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

[quote=IWS Zak]
    Quote Originally Posted by "zY|":2qiowp3v

I know man, this is crazy. (This is sparta?)

If Dana wasnt such a fuckin hippocrite, it wouldnt be so bad.

If Strikeforce did this, he would be having a press conference laughing at them.[/quote:2qiowp3v]

thats why I hate Dana.Strikeforce signs Hershell and Dana is all over them about how they sign bums buts lets look at something

Strikeforce recent signings:

Fedor,andrei arlovski,Aoki,Mousasi ,Walker

UFC's:

Kimbo,Toney ,Baroni,Renzo Gracie

Who's signing more bums/freak shows? Dana is
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

205 would be best for Toney . He's not strong enough or naturally big enough to be a HW. He started boxing at 160 so that would be like BJ Penn fighting HW now. I think Dana wants Toney in shape is why he's making him fight 205. Toney's been as high as 240 for fights but his last one he weighed 219 so if he does try 205 shouldnt be a problem .

I still say stick Toney against Kimbo. I mean how long can Dana drag along the Kimbo bit when everyone knows he's not the future and will never win a title?
    Kimbo might beat him too. Throw that guillotine on him like he did to Ray Mercer.

Kimbo might beat him too. Throw that guillotine on him like he did to Ray Mercer
    Ray Mercer was about 7 years past bum when he fought Kimbo and 46 years old .Toney is only 3 years off HW title fight draw.

Not saying Toney would beat Kimbo but Toney is 10x the boxer and has 10x more left than Mercer did at the time of the Kimbo fight
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Ray Mercer was about 7 years past bum when he fought Kimbo and 46 years old .Toney is only 3 years off HW title fight draw.

Not saying Toney would beat Kimbo but Toney is 10x the boxer and has 10x more left than Mercer did at the time of the Kimbo fight
    And yet Mercer still KOd Timmy. . .
    I heart cock