Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst ... 23456712 ... LastLast

Thread: UFN 3/31 odds/discussion

Re: UFN 3/31 odds/discussion

And the only two guys he's ever lost to in the UFC are the last two guys to hold the belt. Plus there is his win over Stevenson who was one fight removed from losing the fight that gained BJ the belt. Maybe the Gomi of old could beat the Florian of now, but the Gomi of now will be lucky to see the third round with Florian.
    2013: +8.24u(increased unit size on 5/19)
    Favorites: 20-6 + 6.13u
    Underdogs: 10-19 -2.51u
    Ludo's Locks Parlay Project: +1.4u

2012: +20.311u

3u parlay to win 3.3u on Florian, Nelson, and Okami

I'm sort of on the fence about Pearson. He's pretty good and definitely a good talent. But this Siver guy has a tendency to hit hard and be very proficient on the ground as well. I might stay away from that one in the end but I'll do some research.

Quote Originally Posted by LudoCain
    And the only two guys he's ever lost to in the UFC are the last two guys to hold the belt. Plus there is his win over Stevenson who was one fight removed from losing the fight that gained BJ the belt. Maybe the Gomi of old could beat the Florian of now, but the Gomi of now will be lucky to see the third round with Florian.
    There's also that incredible assbeating he took from Diego.
    Triple-six killers in this motherfucker runnin shit

Quote Originally Posted by zY|
    You're educated enough to know that that was not only at a different weight class, but also at a whole other level of experience.
    I heart cock

Quote Originally Posted by SPX
    You're educated enough to know that that was not only at a different weight class, but also at a whole other level of experience.
    So it doesn't count? They both dropped to LW so that's irrelevant and both were less experienced.

Seriously though, I've still yet to see any technical analysis of how Kenny will win. Just "oh Gomi sucks now". So how do you guys on Kenny see it going down? Is he going to outstrike Gomi? Surely he's not going to knock him out. I'd bet he has problems getting him down too.

I just can't see Kenny as that much of a favorite, even with Gomi's proclivities.

Don't say "you guys" because I don't hardly know who the fuck Gomi is.

My point is that at this point Kenny's loss to Sanchez is of limited usefulness. If they fought today it's at best a pick 'em . . . otherwise Florian wins.
    I heart cock

He's the most accomplished LW of all time.

Japanese MMA.

'Nuff said.
    I heart cock

No, actually, it doesn't count. It was 5 years ago, 30lbs heavier, and long before Florian developed his Muay Thai and clinching skills or any other skills for that matter to where they are today. So no, it doesn't count. He could knock him out at this point. Everyone said there was no way Cain Valasquez would knock Minotauro out, and look at what happened. When guys get up this way in thier career getting into battle after battle they lose a few things. First is the chin. More likely though is that Kenny bullies Gomi with the clinch for most of the fight, then he uses his elbows and kicks to finish him off.

I think Florian has value, even though there are some big unknowns. Gomi may have a technical wrestling advantage, but I'd guess the fight takes place mostly on the feet, with Florian outstriking him.

I actually think that many of the lightweights that fight/fought in Japan are overrated, in much the same way that the non-Pride leagues produced a lot of overrated heavys in the Sylvia/Arlovski/Buentello/Rothwell era. When there are two different pools of fighters that don't cross much, people tend to assume the leagues are about equal, even if that's not always right. Gomi beat a lot of guys in Pride, but when I look at his resume, it doesn't impress all that much. Even close to his prime, he lost to Hansen, and who were the best guys he beat? Ishida? Sakurai? They're pretty good, but not worth the hype Gomi got. (I don't think Aoki deserves the #2 ranking, either.)

I'd love to be wrong. I always liked Gomi and I think it would be great if he started tearing shit up in the UFC.

Japanese MMA.

'Nuff said.

You got to be kidding saying "Japanese MMA nuff said"

Pride was Japanese MMA and every since they closed down there fighters have done nothing but dominate UFC and Strikeforce

The UFC and Strikforce would be nothing without the Japanese Pride fighters .I mean look at the 185 and 205 champs from before Pride and after .

Now the lighter guys is different but to say Japanese MMA is a joke is just wrong
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Japanese MMA.

'Nuff said.
    Heh, you got to the point much better than I did.

Quote Originally Posted by LudoCain
    No, actually, it doesn't count. It was 5 years ago, 30lbs heavier, and long before Florian developed his Muay Thai and clinching skills or any other skills for that matter to where they are today. So no, it doesn't count. He could knock him out at this point. Everyone said there was no way Cain Valasquez would knock Minotauro out, and look at what happened. When guys get up this way in thier career getting into battle after battle they lose a few things. First is the chin. More likely though is that Kenny bullies Gomi with the clinch for most of the fight, then he uses his elbows and kicks to finish him off.
    Kenny could knock Diego out at this point? Or were you referring to Gomi?

And yeah, I'm open to the possibility that Kenny dominates Gomi, but I just don't expect it. He's going to make much more of a fight of it than he's getting credit. You really think Kenny is going to want to bully him in the clinch? It's not like Kenny is a big LW, and his striking is generally more evasive. I would expect him to try and fight like he did against Huerta.

Quote Originally Posted by Svino
    I think Florian has value, even though there are some big unknowns. Gomi may have a technical wrestling advantage, but I'd guess the fight takes place mostly on the feet, with Florian outstriking him.

I actually think that many of the lightweights that fight/fought in Japan are overrated, in much the same way that the non-Pride leagues produced a lot of overrated heavys in the Sylvia/Arlovski/Buentello/Rothwell era. When there are two different pools of fighters that don't cross much, people tend to assume the leagues are about equal, even if that's not always right. Gomi beat a lot of guys in Pride, but when I look at his resume, it doesn't impress all that much. Even close to his prime, he lost to Hansen, and who were the best guys he beat? Ishida? Sakurai? They're pretty good, but not worth the hype Gomi got. (I don't think Aoki deserves the #2 ranking, either.)

I'd love to be wrong. I always liked Gomi and I think it would be great if he started tearing shit up in the UFC.
    Marcus Aurelio, Duane Ludwig, Hayoto Sakurai, Jens Pulver(the only LW to ever beat Penn and the UFC LW champ). Those are just the guys who fought in the UFC. I can keep going with wins over Kawajiri, Azeredo(x2), Jean Silva, Ishida.

I'd say there's plenty of overlap.

As far as Aoki, since just about all rankings are based on accomplishment, Aoki should actually probably be ranked #1. The fact that Penn is a terrible style matchup for him should do nothing to deter his ranking, considering his body of work. Rankings don't mean much to me as I don't care either way, but I'm just saying for the sake of consistency.

Besides, if you wanted you could tear any fighter's record to shreds. Anyone. So I don't see how it's really fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke
    The UFC and Strikforce would be nothing without the Japanese Pride fighters .I mean look at the 185 and 205 champs from before Pride and after .

Now the lighter guys is different but to say Japanese MMA is a joke is just wrong
    Yeah, that's just it. It's kind of weird. I think Pride had much better heavys (compare Fedor, Nog, Barnett, Cro Cop to the 4 guys I mentioned above), and middleweights (Little Nog, Shogun, Rampage, Hendo, Wandy). But when you ask what post-Pride successful LWs they had, it's like: ------- [ crickets chirp ] --------

Actually you could argue that Pride hasn't dominated the UFC at all. Below is a breakdown of notable Pride fighters who crossed over to the UFC and how they did. I realize alot of them were pitted against each other but bear with me here.

Shogun came from Pride and straight got his ass whooped by Forrest Griffin, then he struggled to beat Coleman. It's only after beating a down and out Liddell and a withering Mark Coleman, and Rampage being booked to fight Rashad after TUF that Shogun got the title shot at all. He loses the fight to Machida in a razor thin and questionable decision. 2-2 since Pride in the UFC, 2-2 vs UFC fighters(as opposed to Pride fighters primarily)

Rampage won the title after beating Eastman due mostly to hype, and for some reason Rampage always had Liddells number. He then goes on to lose to Forrest and then destroy a past prime Wanderlei Silva, and then edge Jardine out. 4-1 since Pride in the UFC, 3-1 against UFC fighters(

Dan Henderson loses his first two fights in the UFC in unification fights to Anderson Silva and Rampage(two guys who fought in Pride, though Silva fought less in Pride than anywhere else). He then goes on to win a close decision to Rich Franklin and then coach TUF before beating Michael Bisping in devastating fashion. Failed contract negotiations brought about his leave of the UFC. 2-2 in the UFC since coming from Pride, 2-1 against UFC fighters

Mark Coleman after returning to the UFC from Pride is matched up with Shogun, seemingly as a rematch from Pride that ended prematurely when Shogun's arm was broken. Coleman gasses early in the second and eventually loses to Shogun. He then fights Stephan Bonnar, winning a decision impressive for a guy his age, only to have whatever small momentum snuffed out by Randy Couture in the fight that should have happened ten years ago. 1-2 in the UFC since Pride, 1-1 against UFC fighters

Wanderlei Silva comes to the UFC and we finally get the dream fight of the ages two years too late with Chuck Liddell. He loses the decision to Chuck but goes on to all but murder Keith Jardine in under a minute. Next up is Rampage, we all saw how that went. He then fights Rich Franklin in a draining catchweight in which he loses a unanimous decision, before fighting and beating Michael Bisping in the same fashion at Middleweight. 2-3 in the UFC since Pride, 2-2 against UFC fighters

Minotauro fights Heath Herring in his first UFC fight, winning by unanimous decision. He is then granted a shot at former champion Tim Sylvia. After a couple rounds of abuse He manages a choke out win over Sylvia. After TUF he and Frank Mir square off for the interim title, in which Frank knocks him out(yeah I know, the staph infection). He rebounds with a win over Randy Couture before losing recently to Cain Valasquez. 3-2 in the UFC, 2-2 against UFC fighters

Heath Herring fights and loses a decision to Jake O'Brien. He then beats Brad Imes(remember the retard strength having farm boy from TUF?) and loses to Minotauro. He beats Chiek Kongo before losing most recently to Brock Lesnar. 2-3 in the UFC since Pride, 2-2 against UFC fighters

Cro Cop's story is one of woes. He comes into the UFC against Eddie Sanchez, looking to have not lost a step at all when he knocks him out with punches. Things take a turn for the worst when Gabriel Gonzaga gives Cro Cop the Cro Cop treatment and knocks him out via head kick. It's clear Cro Cop has lost something when Cheik Kongo beats him in a decision before he takes a hiatus from the UFC to fight in K-1 and Dream. He makes his return against Mustapha Al Turk, winning a piss poor fight due mostly to an eye poke the Ref didn't see. But it's right back down the ladder he goes when Junior Dos Santos puts on a two and a half round clinic on him enroute to a win for Dos Santos. He then fights Anthony Perosh recently for a doctor stoppage TKO. 3-3 in the UFC since Pride, 3-3 against UFC fighters

In conclusion as you can see Prides top fighters have gone 19-18 in the UFC since coming from Pride. 17-14 against UFC fighters. That isn't what I would call domination.

^^True, not domination but not inferiority either.

Also, you're leaving a few wins out. Rampage is 5-1 in the UFC, you left out Henderson. And Henderson is 3-2 in the UFC, he also beat Palhares. Add in Anderson Silva's 10 wins and we're at 31-18.

That big of a list and somehow you left out Anderson Silva whos 9-0 against UFC fighters?

Talk about tunnel vision
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

And how is Machida considered a "UFC " fighter he didnt even fight in the UFC till AFTER these guys came over from PRIDE
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Anderson Silva fought five times in Pride, never participated in a tournament, never fought for a title there. He fought more often in Cage Rage and Meca.

My bad on Rampage and Henderson in missing one each. I never said they were inferior. I'm just saying the argument can be made that they didn't dominate. There was nothing superhuman about Pride's fighters. They are no better on the whole than any of the UFC's top fighters were/are is all.