Page 7 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast

Thread: UFC 116 discussion/matchups

Re: UFC 116 discussion/matchups

Carwin Won't Make Any Media Appearances Before UFC 116 Fight With Brock Lesnar

Yesterday on Twitter, Shane Carwin made a startling announcement:

[quote:1j8tqiuj]FYI I am not doing any media this month. If you have questions go to www.shane-carwin.com and you can post them in the forum thanks
    A no media declaration is almost unprecedented. You've all seen the standard protocol before each event. Dozens of cookie cutter interviews, generally conducted by inept reporters, with the same bored fighters giving the same answers to the same lame questions. Count Carwin out.

One of the most engaged fighters in the MMA community, Carwin intends to stay active on Twitter and on his website. In those venues, interaction is pressure free. There are no reporters looking to generate a story and no risk of saying the wrong thing and creating a media stir.

MMA at the highest level is a battle of inches. Every tiny advantage matters and Carwin intends to put himself in the best position to win. He knows Lesnar will do no extraneous media. Despite being paid millions to fight, the champion will decline all interviews that aren't mandatory. It's just expected at this point that a media request for Lesnar will be denied. Why should Carwin spend an hour talking to me for Bloodyelbow.com when Lesnar will spend that time training or relaxing?

The champion has an obligation to promote the fight. Not only is he the sport's biggest star, he is also among its highest paid fighters. If UFC 116 is a mega success, Lesnar will benefit by taking home a sizable PPV percentage. For Carwin, it's the same $50,000 check whether the show draws 2 million PPV buys or 200. With no financial incentive to play ball, I understand his priorities. It just makes sense to be the best he can be when he steps into the cage with the behemoth.[/quote:1j8tqiuj]

dont blame Carwin one bit
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

1u on Carwin
    2012: +19.33
    2012 Parlay project: +16.5u

Interesting.

I would actually think that Carwin might still be new enough to the spotlight that he would still be in the phase of things where he likes the attention.
    I heart cock

Dana wont like that.
    Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IWS Zak
    Dana wont like that.

No not one bit .He's probably now praying Lesnar wins
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Well Carwin still does about 10x more media with his website and twitter than Lesnar even thinks about doing.
    Triple-six killers in this motherfucker runnin shit

Quote Originally Posted by zY|
    Well Carwin still does about 10x more media with his website and twitter than Lesnar even thinks about doing.

Probably but for 50k I wouldnt be Dana's puppet either .
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

I'm sure he'll be getting a PPV cut as well.

I'm sure he'll be getting a PPV cut as well.

Obv you didnt read the article

The champion has an obligation to promote the fight. Not only is he the sport's biggest star, he is also among its highest paid fighters. If UFC 116 is a mega success, Lesnar will benefit by taking home a sizable PPV percentage. For Carwin, it's the same $50,000 check whether the show draws 2 million PPV buys or 200. With no financial incentive to play ball, I understand his priorities
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Oh well if Jonathan snowden said so. Look I take everything from bloody elbow with a grain of salt and that guy writes shit articles all the time. He lists no source and just says 'i'm an insider so I know'. Details are sketchy on how ppv cuts work and that's how zuffa likes it. Snowden even has a follow up article that says all main eventers get huge bonuses. So he can't even get his shit straight in the same day. Pardon me for being skeptical. I'm pretty sure main eventers are well taken care of.

Oh well if Jonathan snowden said so. Look I take everything from bloody elbow with a grain of salt and that guy writes shit articles all the time. He lists no source and just says 'i'm an insider so I know'. Details are sketchy on how ppv cuts work and that's how zuffa likes it. Snowden even has a follow up article that says all main eventers get huge bonuses. So he can't even get his shit straight in the same day. Pardon me for being skeptical. I'm pretty sure main eventers are well taken care of.
    Considering Carwin said he wasnt doing any promoting he sure sounds like he isnt getting any PPV %. If he was he'd be out promoting trying to get sales.He obv doesnt care who buys the event and to me it seems he's upset with his payday.

Yeah they are WELL taken care of .A 50,000 payday for a HW title fight is more than generous lol . In boxing a number #2 or #3 ranked HW would be getting 3-5 million to fight the HW champ plus PPV sales so yeah 50k is being taken care of .The only thing the UFC takes care of is Dana's and the Zuffa's pockets
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

$50K is pretty weak, even by MMA standards. So I will say that for sure. If Carwin wins the belt though, he will no doubt be getting a better deal on his contract next time around.
    I heart cock

No source, Luke. Agree to disagree.

So far:
    2.5u Carwin @ +165
    3.3u Schaub @ -330

Is Wandy going to win? Sexyama is coming off a year lay off.

Quote Originally Posted by poopoo333
    So far:
    2.5u Carwin @ +165
    3.3u Schaub @ -330

Is Wandy going to win? Sexyama is coming off a year lay off.
    I really think that this is sexyama's fight to lose. I think that if he just keeps this on the feet the whole time and strikes with silva, then silva will win a UD because of silva pushing the pace and his aggression. If sexyama uses his judo and BJJ he can definatly win this fight though. Im leaning towards sexy right now

Quote Originally Posted by SPX
    $50K is pretty weak, even by MMA standards. So I will say that for sure. If Carwin wins the belt though, he will no doubt be getting a better deal on his contract next time around.
    Pretty weak? Its a complete joke imo. Had Dana came to me with a contract for 50k to fight for the HW title I would have told him shove it .

Last night Cotto got 2 million dollars for his fight on HBO ,2 MILLION and it wasnt even a PPV.

Carwin gets 50k to fight on PPV lol. I find it funny that Dana has any fighters that want to fight in the UFC.

Last event(UFC 114) had 700k in buys and a $3.9 million dollar gate .Thats 39 million dollars and they had a payroll of 1.4 million
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

To be honest though, these guy can bitch and complain all they want, but they need to band together and form some kind of union. I dont think it will ever happen, being that fighting is such an indivdualized sport, but I its the only way to force the UFC's hand.
    Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Luke
    Pretty weak? Its a complete joke imo. Had Dana came to me with a contract for 50k to fight for the HW title I would have told him shove it . ::
    I'm sure Carwin's still under the stipulations of an old contract. I don't know of any provisions that say the UFC renegotiates contracts in the event of a title fight. He will no doubt get a better deal next time around, though.

Also, I don't really see the deal with it being an HW fight. Other divisions are just as popular as the HW right now. This isn't boxing in 1992. I mean, I don't think Dan Hardy got a boatload of money to fight GSP, but there wasn't a lot of uproar about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke
    Last night Cotto got 2 million dollars for his fight on HBO ,2 MILLION and it wasnt even a PPV.

Carwin gets 50k to fight on PPV lol. I find it funny that Dana has any fighters that want to fight in the UFC.

Last event(UFC 114) had 700k in buys and a $3.9 million dollar gate .Thats 39 million dollars and they had a payroll of 1.4 million
    It's important to keep in mind that there's a fundamental difference in the way that boxing matches and MMA events are promoted. While I do agree that the UFC needs to pay their fighters more, I don't think it's fair to expect any MMA org to payout like boxing does. They just can't.
    I heart cock

Quote Originally Posted by IWS Zak
    To be honest though, these guy can bitch and complain all they want, but they need to band together and form some kind of union. I dont think it will ever happen, being that fighting is such an indivdualized sport, but I its the only way to force the UFC's hand.

100% agree .

I want to see the day where GSP fights Silva and they are both making 10 million for the fight
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

George Sotiropoulos -180

Kurt Pellegrino +150

2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP