Thread: Chuck Liddell vs. Randy Couture 4 Planned for UFC 116

Chuck Liddell vs. Randy Couture 4 Planned for UFC 116

A fourth meeting between UFC hall of famers Chuck Liddell and Randy Couture is reportedly in the works for UFC 116 on July 3 in Las Vegas, Heavy’s Jeremy Botter today reported.

Liddell remains officially scheduled to fight opposing coach Tito Ortiz at the conclusion of The Ultimate Fighter 11, and said during a Monday conference call to promote the show that he believed the matchup was still on, but numerous rumors and reports have surfaced in recent weeks that put the fight in doubt.

Initial rumors suggested that Ortiz was unable to finish taping for the series, which debuts tomorrow after UFC Fight Night 21, and replaced by Rich Franklin, who whold then fight Liddell in June at UFC 115 that was recently re-scheduled for Cincinnati, Franklin’s hometown.

UFC President Dana White immediately denied the rumors and said the UFC was planning Franklin vs. Couture, but later suggested that fans would have to watch the show to find out what happens.

According to Botter, the UFC is set to deny the reports until TUF 11 concludes in June.

Liddell holds a 2-1 edge over Couture in their career series, suffering a third-round TKO in their first bout in June 2003 before scoring a first-round knockout in April 2005 and second-round KO in February 2006.

More-recently, Liddell (21-7) has dropped four of his last five, including a first-round TKO to Mauricio “Shogun” Rua last April in his most-recent bout that forced him into a brief retirement, while Couture has won two-straight over Brandon Vera in November and Mark Coleman in February.

UFC 116 is scheduled to be headlined by the return of heavyweight champ Brock Lesnar vs. interim title-holder Shane Carwin and is also expected to feature Wanderlei Silva vs. Yoshihiro Akiyama.

I now have no idea who Liddell or Couture is fighting
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Re: Chuck Liddell vs. Randy Couture 4 Planned for UFC 116

Wow no one has an opinion on this or heard the samething?
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

I don't really care who either is fighting tbh.
    Triple-six killers in this motherfucker runnin shit

I'd honestly rather see Chuck/Tito, I think. Also, they've talked so much shit about who Chuck's going to fight that I'm not sure I believe anything anymore.

As for the this match, I think Randy probably takes it, but maybe not. Randy's not known for his KO power, but it might actually be a good matchup for Chuck at this point in his career.
    I heart cock

Yeah I personally dont care about this fight either just wish theyd make up there mind whos fighting who.Either of these fights(tito-liddell,Couture-liddell) is completely pointless. The UFC is turning into the WWE. It reminds me of Shawm Michaels fighting the undertakr for the 100th time
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Quote Originally Posted by Luke
    Yeah I personally dont care about this fight either just wish theyd make up there mind whos fighting who.Either of these fights(tito-liddell,Couture-liddell) is completely pointless. The UFC is turning into the WWE. It reminds me of Shawm Michaels fighting the undertakr for the 100th time
    Pointless how?

I guess I don't buy into the reasoning that every fight has to be about determining who belongs where on the contender ladder. Some fights can be made just because they'd be good fights.

Besides, considering that each guy has a win over the other, and Couture is still relevant, it does make some sense.
    I heart cock

Quote Originally Posted by SPX
    Pointless how?

I guess I don't buy into the reasoning that every fight has to be about determining who belongs where on the contender ladder. Some fights can be made just because they'd be good fights.

Besides, considering that each guy has a win over the other, and Couture is still relevant, it does make some sense.
    Well Liddell is up 2-1. And they haven't fought in like 4 years. I'll watch the fights when they happen, but I'm not going to get too excited about who is fighting who.
    Triple-six killers in this motherfucker runnin shit

Quote Originally Posted by SPX
    Pointless how?

How is Couture still relevant ?because he beat Coleman and Vera? Come on

I guess I don't buy into the reasoning that every fight has to be about determining who belongs where on the contender ladder

If a fight doesnt determine contender status or heading to the title then really wants the point? Really whats the point of a third Tito fight or 4th Couture fight.Why not put Couture-Tito together is we are just wasting a spot on the card?
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

How is Couture still relevant ?because he beat Coleman and Vera? Come on.
    Well Vera's relevant. And by relevant I mean that he's a good fighter who has a purpose in the divsion. That doesn't mean he's really a title contender.

If a fight doesnt determine contender status or heading to the title then really wants the point?
    Some fights are just good fights.

There are plenty of guys in the UFC who are never going to be fighting for the title, but they put on entertaining fights. Sometimes they get matched up with each other. it has nothing to do with contendership. It just has to do with putting on a good show.
    I heart cock

This is from someone at MMAfighting.com

We'll know the answer to Tito-Chuck situation in 2 weeks when UFC puts tix on sale. They cant falsely advertise a main event
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP