Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast

Thread: Roy Jones fought for free Saturday

Roy Jones fought for free Saturday

Let’s assume for a second that the 6,792 in the building actually paid for their seats (we know that’s not true since alot of the tickets were given away) and that the seats averaged $300 a ticket (a figure higher than reality). That would mean the gate was $2 million. If the expenses to rent the building and promote the fight were $1 million, that means $1 million is left. Now, let’s figure it sold 100,000 pay-per-views at $49.95 apiece. That’s about $5 million. They have to split 50 percent of that with the cable and satellite operators, so that leaves $2.498 million for themselves. Add the $1 million from the gate and the $2.498 million from the pay-per-view and you have $3.498 million in profit. Given that the contract called for the first $3.5 million in profit to go to Hopkins and Golden Boy, it’s almost certain Jones fought for nothing. Actual revenue will likely be far less than I’ve described above.

2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Re: Roy Jones fought for free Saturday

RJJ got beat twice in one night...LOL
    Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

I dunno.

I don't believe anything Kevin Iole says.
    Triple-six killers in this motherfucker runnin shit

Quote Originally Posted by zY|
    I dunno.

I don't believe anything Kevin Iole says.

I dont see why he'd have a reason to lie
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

I'm not saying he's lying I'm saying he's a retard and everything he says is suspect, based on said retardation.

Maybe he was reading the contract upside down, or had his thumb up his butt. Fuck I dunno.

+1 on Iole being a fucktard.

Dont really know the guy so I dont know
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

I do think that Jones got raped on his money, if he got any at all.

Probably, considering he got knocked out by Steve Irwin in his last fight.

The PPV numbers came back and there were less than 100k in buys meaning Roy fought for nothing

Sad
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

I don't get it.

He didn't just get a normal paycheck?
    I heart cock

Quote Originally Posted by SPX
    I don't get it.

He didn't just get a normal paycheck?

Nope he was fighting for a % of the PPV sales. The fight was predicted between 200k-250k sales and had it done that Jones would have got 5-7.5 million in pay but the fight had to do over 100k in sales for him to get anything. Basically he could have got probably 1.5-2 million paycheck but took the gamble the PPV numbers were going to be good and nothing because the sales were under 100k
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Damn, that sucks.

I wonder why the numbers were so low.
    I heart cock

Damn, that sucks.

I wonder why the numbers were so low.

Because the fight was 10 years too late. Jones-Hopkins 10 years or even 7 years ago might have broke the PPV sales mark at the time.Now it was just two washed up fighters that had no other options fighting because they had no other options. Boxing fans,me included, were pissed these two didnt fight long ago so no one was willing to pay 50 bucks see two fighters that had nothing left fight now.

I mean would you want to see Carwin-Lesnar now when they are both basically undefeated and in their primes or in 10 years when they both have a bunch of loses,have no other options and should already be retired because they arent even good fighters anymore?
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Quote Originally Posted by Luke
    Because the fight was 10 years too late. Jones-Hopkins 10 years or even 7 years ago might have broke the PPV sales mark at the time.Now it was just two washed up fighters that had no other options fighting because they had no other options. Boxing fans,me included, were pissed these two didnt fight long ago so no one was willing to pay 50 bucks see two fighters that had nothing left fight now.

I mean would you want to see Carwin-Lesnar now when they are both basically undefeated and in their primes or in 10 years when they both have a bunch of loses,have no other options and should already be retired because they arent even good fighters anymore?
    To be fair B-Hop only has 5 losses and Jones only has 7. But I understand that in boxing that constitutes "a bunch of losses." In MMA it wouldn't be such a big deal.

I know a lot of people thought Liddell-Wanderlei was a few years too late, but I guess that's not 10 years.
    I heart cock

Quote Originally Posted by Luke

To be fair B-Hop only has 5 losses and Jones only has 7. But I understand that in boxing that constitutes "a bunch of losses." In MMA it wouldn't be such a big deal.

I know a lot of people thought Liddell-Wanderlei was a few years too late, but I guess that's not 10 years.

Yes 5 and 7 is a lot in boxing .When they "should" have fought Jones had one loss which was a DQ(not really a loss) and B-Hop had two loses ,one to Jones and one on his boxing debut in 1988
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Just seems crazy to me that an amazing record of 54-5 is considered a lot of losses. I don't get it. Do these guys just fight nothing but cans, or just that the level of variance is much lower in boxing? I would think it's a bit of both.

Just seems crazy to me that an amazing record of 54-5 is considered a lot of losses. I don't get it. Do these guys just fight nothing but cans, or just that the level of variance is much lower in boxing? I would think it's a bit of both.

I dont consider 5 loses a lot if they are spread out but in Jones case he's 5-6 in his last 11.Thats alot of loses.Hopkins is 5-3 in his last 8.I consider the 3 losses alot because they are so recent.

Boxers also fight between 20-25 cans before they ever get to a title fight unlike in MMA .They also might fight 10 cans while defending the title(think GSP-Hardy)

Boxers only fight 10 top fighters in a career in most cases so if lose 5-7 of those its a lot of loses

I counted and Jones only fought 9 top level fighters in his career and has 7 loses,Hopkins 11 top fighter 5 loses.

Now in the UFC you dont get 25 cans before going for the title and you migh on get 2 cans for every top fighter you fight once getting the title

So I think in MMA there are so many more ways to lose plus the fact UFC fighters fight better competition leads to more loses
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Ah ok. Kinda what I figured.

Honestly I don't think fighting 20 cans at the beginning of your career is a bad thing at all. In MMA a guy like Jon Jones wins 2 fights and looks impressive and it's all 'zomg title shot' when he's clearly not even close to ready and needs time to work on his game.

Ah ok. Kinda what I figured.

Honestly I don't think fighting 20 cans at the beginning of your career is a bad thing at all. In MMA a guy like Jon Jones wins 2 fights and looks impressive and it's all 'zomg title shot' when he's clearly not even close to ready and needs time to work on his game.

Jones could beat Machida right now and you know it
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP