Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Anderson Silva moving to 170 to take on George St Pierre?

Re: Anderson Silva moving to 170 to take on George St Pierre?

Quote Originally Posted by zY|
    Why are dominant champs a bad thing? I think it's awesome. Not only is it great to watch them destroy opponents, but it's how legacies are made.

Besides, they're really not THAT dominant. What's the consecutive title defense record? 5 defenses? Pfft, that's pathetic in the grand scheme of things. Didn't Jou Louis defend his belt like 25 times in a row or some shit over a decade? GSP has been champ for less than 2 years, with 4 defenses. Same with Penn(3 defenses).

There are TONS of fights I'd love to see. Honestly just give me good fighters fighting good fighters and I'm fucking stoked. Challengers are always going to arise. Like a year ago the MW division sucked so much ass that Anderson was fighting Patrick Cote and Thales Leites. Now he's got a whole host of worthy challengers. Hard to consider a division ever really 'cleaned out'.

Just my take on it.

I dont think dominant champs are bad but I do like chaos.I also like new faces.I'm most interested in the HW's right now
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Quote Originally Posted by Luke
    Why are dominant champs a bad thing? I think it's awesome. Not only is it great to watch them destroy opponents, but it's how legacies are made.

Besides, they're really not THAT dominant. What's the consecutive title defense record? 5 defenses? Pfft, that's pathetic in the grand scheme of things. Didn't Jou Louis defend his belt like 25 times in a row or some shit over a decade? GSP has been champ for less than 2 years, with 4 defenses. Same with Penn(3 defenses).

There are TONS of fights I'd love to see. Honestly just give me good fighters fighting good fighters and I'm fucking stoked. Challengers are always going to arise. Like a year ago the MW division sucked so much ass that Anderson was fighting Patrick Cote and Thales Leites. Now he's got a whole host of worthy challengers. Hard to consider a division ever really 'cleaned out'.

Just my take on it.

I dont think dominant champs are bad but I do like chaos.I also like new faces.I'm most interested in the HW's right now
    HW is definitely the most chaotic right now.

Mostly because historically, HWs is a shit division.
    Triple-six killers in this motherfucker runnin shit

It's one thing to have dominant Champs(IE Matt Hughes, Rich Franklin, Chuck Liddell) but when you have fighters being FED to champions they have less than 5% chances to even hope to upset these guys it gets ridiculous. It kind of sucks when you can actually predict the exact method in which some of these champions will win and not even get excited about the matchups. I realize the game has evolved since the days of Hughes' first and second title reigns and when Chucks Sprawl and Brawl actually was effective but it would be nice not to see Anderson Silva fighting like he's bored inside the cage, and GSP like he actually intends to finish a fight again, and BJ Penn actually having something to be worried about from the guy he's fighting.

Something isn't right, nor is it intriguing when the only reason(s) these guys are getting shots are:
    A) So the UFC can break open another countries MMA market
    B) No one really deserved a shot but they had to have someone fight the Champ
    C) Someone got hurt and this guy over here is the freshest of the potential contenders
    2013: +8.24u(increased unit size on 5/19)
    Favorites: 20-6 + 6.13u
    Underdogs: 10-19 -2.51u
    Ludo's Locks Parlay Project: +1.4u

2012: +20.311u

I just read Silva will move up in weight to fight Mir .So hes dropping 15 to fight GSP and gaining 50 to fight Mir and sometime in between fighting Sonnen.At least he'll be busy
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

I heard he was thinking about fighting Megatron next

I heard he was thinking about fighting Megatron next

The stuff I am typing is coming from MMA sites believe it or not
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Quote Originally Posted by LudoCain
    It's one thing to have dominant Champs(IE Matt Hughes, Rich Franklin, Chuck Liddell) but when you have fighters being FED to champions they have less than 5% chances to even hope to upset these guys it gets ridiculous. It kind of sucks when you can actually predict the exact method in which some of these champions will win and not even get excited about the matchups. I realize the game has evolved since the days of Hughes' first and second title reigns and when Chucks Sprawl and Brawl actually was effective but it would be nice not to see Anderson Silva fighting like he's bored inside the cage, and GSP like he actually intends to finish a fight again, and BJ Penn actually having something to be worried about from the guy he's fighting.

Something isn't right, nor is it intriguing when the only reason(s) these guys are getting shots are:
    A) So the UFC can break open another countries MMA market
    B) No one really deserved a shot but they had to have someone fight the Champ
    C) Someone got hurt and this guy over here is the freshest of the potential contenders
    I think it's a treat anytime we get to see these guys fight. Having top fighters on the shelf for months and months in the prime of their careers is the real crime imo.

Besides, how do you define "deserves"? Name the last fighter who didn't really 'deserve' a title shot. Just because we don't think they have a chance in hell has nothing to do with the fact that they've earned their shot. They've won their 5,6,7, and 8 fights in a row and DESERVE to get their chance, and the fights aren't fought on paper. 170 and 155 are STACKED. The fact that we don't see these guys as a legitimate challenge should be more of a testament to just how good the champs are than a reflection of their opponents.

I can understand how some might not get excited about fights that shouldn't be close on paper, but I guess we watch for different reasons.

Besides, how do you define "deserves"? Name the last fighter who didn't really 'deserve' a title shot. Just because we don't think they have a chance in hell has nothing to do with the fact that they've earned their shot. They've won their 5,6,7, and 8 fights in a row and DESERVE to get their chance, and the fights aren't fought on paper. 170 and 155 are STACKED. The fact that we don't see these guys as a legitimate challenge should be more of a testament to just how good the champs are than a reflection of their opponents.
    While I understand the sentiment of wanting a little less predictability in regard to championship fights, I do agree with everything in this paragraph.
    I heart cock

Quote Originally Posted by SPX
    While I understand the sentiment of wanting a little less predictability in regard to championship fights, I do agree with everything in this paragraph.
    I understand it too, but it just is what it is, I guess.

Personally, I enjoy a first class, technical domination of an elite opponent as much as I do an evenly matched fight. It's just different.

Just me though.

Personally, I enjoy a first class, technical domination of an elite opponent as much as I do an evenly matched fight. It's just different.

Just me though.
    I think the problem for me is that I'm just not a big Penn or GSP fan, and not a fan of Anderson at all.

I would love to see Machida be dominant and stay that way for a long time. I'm really hoping that his first fight with Shogun was kind of like GSP's first fight with BJ in that it was very close and different people had different ideas about who won, and that he comes back and dominates Shogun the second time around like we expected in the first fight.

I would also like to see Brock defend his belt at least 3 times. After that, I'll probably be ready for a rotation, but I wouldn't mind seeing a good run as the champ.
    I heart cock

Just me though.
    I think the problem for me is that I'm just not a big Penn or GSP fan, and not a fan of Anderson at all.

I would love to see Machida be dominant and stay that way for a long time. I'm really hoping that his first fight with Shogun was kind of like GSP's first fight with BJ in that it was very close and different people had different ideas about who won, and that he comes back and dominates Shogun the second time around like we expected in the first fight.

I would also like to see Brock defend his belt at least 3 times. After that, I'll probably be ready for a rotation, but I wouldn't mind seeing a good run as the champ.
    I hope Roy Nelson becomes the champ.

Good luck on that.
    I heart cock

Good luck on that.
    Tell me how much you love the belly

I still dont under stand why Roy doesnt get into shape and fight 205.He has zero chance imo of ever beating :Lesnar,Carwin,Cain,or JDS
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Because he's had success, even while being a pudgy fat guy. Hell his last two wins were by brutal knockout in less than 5 minutes put together. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Because he's had success, even while being a pudgy fat guy. Hell his last two wins were by brutal knockout in less than 5 minutes put together. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Well thats fine if he wants to fight and beat B-rated fighters his whole career but he'll never win a title at HW was my point
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Well thats fine if he wants to fight and beat B-rated fighters his whole career but he'll never win a title at HW was my point

First and only man to hold the IFL Heavyweight title... Not overly prestigious but he did win a title at Heavyweight.

First and only man to hold the IFL Heavyweight title... Not overly prestigious but he did win a title at Heavyweight.
    Wow the IFL champ I bet that title brought him in the big bucks

Being fat and blubbery might be cool and funny to people but he'll never win the UFC HW title.
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Maybe Roy already knows he'll never be champ so he doesnt care to get in shape.He might be happy with the entertainer roll and thats fine with me if thats what he wants to do but I always thought fighters wanted to be the champ. Maybe he just wants to entertain and thats why he called out James Toney instead of Cain or JDS.
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

All i know is Dana better put something together because besides the HW division theres not alot of fights I care too see
    Someone has to take out these dominant champs.

Penn needs to make a permanent move to WW and they need to bring in some new LW talent. Too many wrestlers. Where are the great LW strikers?

There are some interesting matches at WW, but someone needs to take out GSP.

At MW, I'd like to see Silva/Vitor and it would also be interesting to see what Sonnen could do against Silva.

At LHW, Machida/Shogun is on the Horizon, Rampage is coming back, and Bones Jones is rising in the ranks. Exciting stuff there.

Lets the chaos begin
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP