Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23

Thread: Bellator 4/15

Re: Bellator 4/15

Yeah, not sure what's up with Curran. Ever since he went into the WEC, I hate to use the term but he seems to have been somewhat "exposed." I know he's got a lot of wins and is a good BJJ guy and has some sort of a boxing background, but I've never seen anything to be overly impressed by. In fact, I think he's lost every fight I've ever seen him in.

Anyway, sucks for your lost units. That's no good.
    I heart cock

I think Curran has too many fights, and has lost the edge. I have a theory that when you start get arounf 40 fights, you lose the adrenaline and urgency needed to win the fight. It happens all the time. The 40 fight guys (Hughes is a prime example, or Horn)... they either just fall into a win, or are just way better. But they don't out and get a win... just take it like they need it.

All of the best fighters in the world have under 30 fights. Most under 20 or even 15. I think Curran is being affected by that disorder.
    2012: +19.33
    2012 Parlay project: +16.5u

Do you think he won the Mizugaki fight? I know a lot of people thought so.
    I heart cock

Quote Originally Posted by SPX
    Do you think he won the Mizugaki fight? I know a lot of people thought so.
    I didn't see it. He had Faber in a lot of trouble in round 1.

Quote Originally Posted by MMA_scientist
    I think Curran has too many fights, and has lost the edge. I have a theory that when you start get arounf 40 fights, you lose the adrenaline and urgency needed to win the fight. It happens all the time. The 40 fight guys (Hughes is a prime example, or Horn)... they either just fall into a win, or are just way better. But they don't out and get a win... just take it like they need it.

All of the best fighters in the world have under 30 fights. Most under 20 or even 15. I think Curran is being affected by that disorder.
    Meh. There's obviously some truth in fighters losing their edge, but your numbers seem completely arbitrary.
    Triple-six killers in this motherfucker runnin shit

Quote Originally Posted by zY|
    Meh. There's obviously some truth in fighters losing their edge, but your numbers seem completely arbitrary.
    Maybe he's using empirical evidence. . .
    I heart cock

Quote Originally Posted by SPX
    Maybe he's using empirical evidence. . .
    I weighed that against the billion exceptions and unmeasurable variables that instantly popped into my head. But thanks for playing.

Someone get Svino in here to sort this out please.....
    Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

I weighed that against the billion exceptions and unmeasurable variables that instantly popped into my head. But thanks for playing.
    Well people talk about fighters being "shot" all the time. Why? Because they've just been in too many wars.
    I heart cock

Well, that is why it is a THEORY...

but the only fighter approaching 40 fights in any weighclass in the top 10, is Big Nog. So out of 50 fighters, only one is close to 40 fights, and he is obvioulsy slipping.

Yet there are a bunch of guys that have recently fallen out of the top 10... Stevenson (43 fights), Gomi (37 fights)Hughes (51 fights), Wanderlei (44 fights), Babalu (41 fights), Rothwell (37 fights), Pulver. I just looked at the Sd rankings and the guys at the bottom that also recieved votes and are on the way down (not up). In every single weight class the guys that have recenly left the top 10 have about 40 fights. The exceptions are Couture and Franklin.

Its not scientific, it is antecdotal... but it is my theory and I stand by it. 40 is the magic number.

but it is my theory and I stand by it. 40 is the magic number.
    I tend to agree. similar to NFL running backs hitting the wall at 30.
    Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

Well, that is why it is a THEORY...

but the only fighter approaching 40 fights in any weighclass in the top 10, is Big Nog. So out of 50 fighters, only one is close to 40 fights, and he is obvioulsy slipping.

Yet there are a bunch of guys that have recently fallen out of the top 10... Stevenson (43 fights), Gomi (37 fights)Hughes (51 fights), Wanderlei (44 fights), Babalu (41 fights), Rothwell (37 fights), Pulver. I just looked at the Sd rankings and the guys at the bottom that also recieved votes and are on the way down (not up). In every single weight class the guys that have recenly left the top 10 have about 40 fights. The exceptions are Couture and Franklin.

Its not scientific, it is antecdotal... but it is my theory and I stand by it. 40 is the magic number.
    Fine.

I admit to just being a dick to SPX.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

I really wish I understood what causes the decline in fighters better. How much of it is being battered from fights? How much is due to physical age? It could be a lot of it is "mental age" as well, just losing the drive to train as hard as they need to to stay on top. How can Travis Fulton and Jeremy Horn still hang in there? I'm not always that quick to buy into the storyline of the 'declining' fighter, especially if they are under 37 or so and it is plausible that they are just fighting better opposition. The sport is young enough and still expanding, so I think a lot can be due to an improving pool of new fighters.

Aging-wise, it will be interesting to see what happens to the Nog brothers. Identical twin studies FTW.

I'd say its the wear and tear on your body.I dont think anyone would lose the drive to win and train but when your back,shoulders,and knees ache you cant train like you use to be able to.Also when you get older your more trying to win the fight without getting hurt than anything else imo
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Quote Originally Posted by Luke
    Also when you get older your more trying to win the fight without getting hurt than anything else imo
    This makes a lot of sense.
    I heart cock