Thread: JDS Denied Chance to Fight Cain; May Face Nelson

JDS Denied Chance to Fight Cain; May Face Nelson

Not sure how this squares with the rumor about Nelson/Kongo, but take it for what it's worth:

According to a report by Guilherme Cruz on Tatame.com, fast-rising UFC heavyweight contender Junior Dos Santos made a request to UFC brass to face Cain Velasquez in his next fight, and was flatly denied.

Feeling that a bout between himself and his American championship contender counterpart would help to clarify which of the pair is first in line at a shot at the winner of the July tilt between Shane Carwin and current heavyweight kingpin Brock Lesnar, Cigano figured the UFC would agree with his view that the fight made sense and would ensure they both stayed busy in the interim.

Apparently the UFC didn't agree, and now both fighters sit in holding pattens waiting for the promotion to sort out their somewhat blurry heavyweight title picture, unsure when they will fight again.

*WARNING* Poorly translated Portugese below.

“They don’t want to set a fight with Velasquez, for now it’s not [of] interest for them. I was hoping for this fight because it makes total sense, but they don’t want it now... let’s wait and see," said Cigano, with no clue of the date of his comeback on UFC. "There are a lot of names I could confront, but I really don’t have a clue of who will it be my next opponent."

Dos Santos says that one name that has been mentioned is that of last season's winner of The Ultimate Fighter, former IFL heavyweight champ Roy Nelson -- an opponent he would relish the opportunity to square off against.

“He has shown he’s a very embattled fighter, is in a good moment on UFC and actually said he wanted to fight me... If it’s him or not, I don’t care.. I’ll be prepared to fight with whoever my opponent is and make it a good fight”, said, dreaming with the chance of winning. “I’m in a very good position and in a very special time on my career and, if that’s what God wants, I’ll have this opportunity to fight for the belt."

It makes sense that the UFC doesn't want to destroy one of their top two heavyweight contenders before he has a chance to vie for the title, but protecting them by letting them sit inactive for what could potentially be a November title bout would do more harm than good.

The conundrum is, if you give them a fight in the meantime to ensure they both remain active, who do you have them fight?

If you give either of them a dark horse like Nelson, who could very well pull off an upset victory, where does that leave them in the grand scheme of things if they lose?

The last time they did that, Nate Marquardt's title hopes were left for dead in a ditch by the side of the road while Chael Sonnen walked away in his shoes on the path to a shot at Anderson Silva.
    http://www.cagepotato.com/report-dos-sa ... elson-next
    I heart cock

Re: JDS Denied Chance to Fight Cain; May Face Nelson

I think Nelson is fighting Kongo.

Looks like the UFC doesn't want to put two contenders together at this stage of the game, but JDS knows what's up and knows that Cain's the man he has to beat if he wants the next title shot.
    I heart cock

I've heard JDS is going to be put up against Mir since Kongo-Nelson is set
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Quote Originally Posted by Luke
    Wow, if that happens, it really sucks for Frank Mir because he'll have to take another loss.

He can maybe go out there and try to strike with Kongo, but he CANNOT strike with JDS. And his takedowns aren't great and the way JDS reacted when he was taken down by Gonzaga was enough for me to believe that he can defend Mir's shot/trips or at least scramble back to his feet if he does get taken down.

JDS!
    I heart cock

Quote Originally Posted by SPX
    Wow, if that happens, it really sucks for Frank Mir because he'll have to take another loss.

He can maybe go out there and try to strike with Kongo, but he CANNOT strike with JDS. And his takedowns aren't great and the way JDS reacted when he was taken down by Gonzaga was enough for me to believe that he can defend Mir's shot/trips or at least scramble back to his feet if he does get taken down.

JDS!

I've just heard JDS-Mir but nothing solid just talk
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Where did you hear that?

You're talking like you're an industry insider.
    I heart cock

Where did you hear that?

You're talking like you're an industry insider.

I dont even remember to tell you the truth .One of the MMA websites were talking about it a week or so ago.I didnt see anything else on it so I kind of ignored it .Thats all I meant
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Looks like the UFC doesn't want to put two contenders together at this stage of the game, but JDS knows what's up and knows that Cain's the man he has to beat if he wants the next title shot.
    Yeah, they'll fight eventually. No reason to knock one contender off now, as lame as the HW division is.
    Triple-six killers in this motherfucker runnin shit

Quote Originally Posted by zY|
    Yeah, they'll fight eventually. No reason to knock one contender off now, as lame as the HW division is.

I agree .Both Cain and JDS can be used as main event PPV title shots so why make them fight each other?
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Looks like Kongo is hurt, might not fight Nelson either way.

While many MMA websites and blogs stated a Cheick Kongo vs. Roy Nelson matchup for UFC 116 was confirmed, the French fighter told us on Wednesday, during our interview with him at the Kongo Smashin' Club in his hometown of Paris, France, that the information was far from being confirmed.
    Cheick has sustained a back injury, that he did not wish to disclose until Wednesday, during his fight with Paul Buentello at the UFC On Versus 1 event:
    "I have to be able to start my preparation - the thing I haven't done yet. I am still injured [from the Buentello fight]," stated Kongo.
    After undergoing several medical exams in the past few weeks, he's now waiting to see whether his injury will require surgery. If this is the case, which is possible, he wouldn't be ready to fight at UFC 116.
    "I don't think it would happen at UFC 116. Maybe later but not then" said the French fighter.
    He also stated that he did not get any word from the UFC on a fight between him and Nelson.
    "I didn't get any word from the UFC [on this matchup], I have my manager Anthony who's working on that, and as of today I'm just actively recovering and nothing else" he concluded.
    Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

Ouch. That sucks.

I really don't care who they match up with who though. It's all good stuff.

I still want to see Mir-Nelson
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

I think Mir will fight Gonzaga next.

Quote Originally Posted by IWS Zak
    I like that fight.

Two guys who fold, first guy to land a punch wins!

Quote Originally Posted by IWS Zak

Mir would beat Gonzaga
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Maybe Nelson-Gonzaga?
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP