Thread: Biggest draft bust ever

Biggest draft bust ever

Former No. 1 pick Russell released

ALAMEDA, Calif. -- The Oakland Raiders released former No. 1 overall pick JaMarcus Russell on Thursday, ending a three-year tenure marked by his high salary and unproductive play on the field.

Senior executive John Herrera told The Associated Press about the move and said that "we wish him well."

The decision came less than two weeks after Oakland acquired Jason Campbell from Washington to take over at quarterback and signifies that owner Al Davis finally lost patience with the immensely talented but unproductive player he drafted first overall in 2007 against the wishes of former coach Lane Kiffin.
    This guy is 10x worse than Ryan Leaf ever was
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Re: Biggest draft bust ever

Me and my boy used to get a kick out of watching him play. He did beat the Eagles though.
    Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

I guess Kiper was wrong:

"JaMarcus Russell is going to immediately energize that fanbase, that football team -- on the practice field, in that locker room. Three years from now you could be looking at a guy that's certainly one of the elite top five quarterbacks in this league. ...You're talking about a 2-3 year period once he's under center. Look out because the skill level that he has is certainly John Elway-like."

-- ESPN's Mel Kiper

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multim ... ent.3.html

Mike Mayock was right on here:

"This year, I can't get over how good and talented JaMarcus Russell is. It just blew me away. If I had the first, second, third, fourth, fifth pick in that draft, I would be tearing apart his personal life trying to figure out whether or not I could trust this kid with $10-million ... From a physical skill set perspective, I've never seen a college quarterback with more ability than Russell. You put the tape on and it's frightening. The only thing that's going to keep [Russell] from being great is him. What it comes down to is you've got to figure out whether or not this kid wants to be the best quarterback in football. If he wants to be the best quarterback in football, he can be."
    Pete Prisco

"He has a cannon for an arm, can make all the throws and has great size. Heck, he looks like a tackle playing quarterback. I just don't see the pinpoint passing, the great timing of the throws or his feel for the pocket. He's careless with the ball, at times, and he struggled against the better college defenses. Can he develop into a quality NFL quarterback? You bet. Would I take him with the first overall pick? No way. As of now, I have him rated at the 20th-best player."

Quote Originally Posted by IWS Zak
    I guess Kiper was wrong:

"JaMarcus Russell is going to immediately energize that fanbase, that football team -- on the practice field, in that locker room. Three years from now you could be looking at a guy that's certainly one of the elite top five quarterbacks in this league. ...You're talking about a 2-3 year period once he's under center. Look out because the skill level that he has is certainly John Elway-like."

-- ESPN's Mel Kiper

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multim ... ent.3.html

LOL I saw that and meant to post it .I have always said Kiper doesnt know shit and the sad thing is they pay him millions to not know anything
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

I will give Kiper credit for something I heard years ago.

When Matthew Stafford was a senior in High School, he said that he would be the #1 pick in the draft when he comes out of college.

The draft is such an imperfect science... It's almost a curse to have the #1 overall pick.
    no links!