Page 51 of 191 FirstFirst ... 41464748495051525354555661101151 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 3816

Thread: 2010 Off topic thread(basketball,movies,etc whatever)

Re: Off topic thread(basketball,movies,etc whatever)

^ I don't blame Eddie for being famous. I blame him for the stuff he says about more traditional bjj and the shit he talks about guys that have done way more than him (most recently he is feuding with Draculinho- then I think Eddie realized Drac is not to be messed with) and the outright fabrications he sells.

Kimbo was famous because others made him famous. Gina is famous because she was the best female fighter at the time, and was also the hottest. But you don't see Kimbo and Gina out there trying to tell everyone else that they are experts. Unlike Eddie, who is like Paris Hilton, it is all self promotion.

Eddie came up the traditional way, in a gi, under JJM. He is legit himself and used to be fairly well respected. Now he is basically a joke in the bjj community and every legit bjj trainer just rolls his eyes when asked about Eddie and/or rubber guard.

As for Eddie's actual style, it is not that bad. His half guard game is actually fairly traditional. Of course he needed something to sell the system, so he added the lockdown, which he does credit to JJM (although as you mention, JJM didn't "invent" it either).

He does claim to have invented rubber guard. Nino Schembri, who is widely known and way more accomplished in bjj, used "rubber guard" a lot to set up omoplatas and even gogoplatas. He even used it against Sakuraba in mma. This is all well before "Mastering the Rubber Guard" went to press.

But really, it is not that stuff that upsets the bjj community. It is how he puts himself forward as this revolutionary and tries to put down bread and butter bjj in order to elevate his status. He has called the gi irrelevant (even though he came up in the gi- and he is by far the best 10pl practioner). He has basically shit on all the guys that made him good.

Then he started promoting total asshats for business reasons. He infamously promoted Ari Bolden to purple shirt. Ari is the operator of the successful Submission 101 website. Basically Ari is fraud and huckster of the worst kind. He would wear his JJJ bb and claim to be an authority in bjj. He was very clearly a wb, his technique videos were wrong and horrible. Then Eddie partnered with him so he could get on teh wesite and made him an instant purple without having actually trained with him. When Eddie got called to the carpet for having the worst purple belt known to man, Eddie backtracked out of it and said that Ari rolls like a wb, but his knowledge of the 10pl system is why he gave him purple. Ari has since affiliated with a real bjj trainer in Keith Owen and was recently awarded a blue belt. Then he promoted Brandon Quick to brown. Sadly, Brandon was probably one his best students. But it turns out that he made up a lot of his history, so Eddie basically revoked his rank when the internet bjj police started to turn on Eddie again. Then there is the whole pot propoganda stuff. His "music". The staged fight in his gym (he had a guy come in and pretend to challenge him and Eddie choked him out-presumably to get some cred. It is on Youtube... everyone found out it was fake and he again backtracked out of it saying it was a joke). I could go on and on for days.
    2012: +19.33
    2012 Parlay project: +16.5u

Two questions:

1. What is "10pl?"

2. If this is the way it is, then why is Rogan all about him? It's not like Rogan is some ignorant MMA newb.
    I heart cock

1. 10th planet jiu jitsu. It is the name of his school.
    2. When Rogan started commentating, he was in fact kind of a newb. He is a brown shirt under Eddie now, but still not exactly an authority. But even Rogan has turned away a little. He eventually sought out some more tradiitonal bjj and started training in the gi with Jean Jacques Machado years ago. Still, there is usually a pretty intense loyalty between bjj guys and there instructors, and Joe's commentating reflects that. Also, they are friends and I would not mistake Rogan's success as actual intelligence...

Scientist droppin knowledge. Well done sir.
    Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

Chris Kaman explodes 10k worth of fireworks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Au008...layer_embedded
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Just ran across this thread title on Sherdog:

"I think Machida should retire if he loses to Rampage"

Jesus Christ
    I heart cock

Here's another gem.

"Would Toney be a bad match- up for Brock?"
    Triple-six killers in this motherfucker runnin shit

Quote Originally Posted by zY|
    Here's another gem.

"Would Toney be a bad match- up for Brock?"
    L O muthafuckin' L

There really is some retarded shit that goes on in that place. There's no denying that.

The hardest part is discerning troll jobs from those who sincerely spout bullshit.
    I heart cock

Pretty sweet video of Marcelo Garcia and Askren Rolling

Re: Pretty sweet video of Marcelo Garcia and Askren Rolling

Quote Originally Posted by JAB
    it was pretty cool, Marcelo has 4 arms. I bet ben is pissed this is all over the internet. He obviously went to Marcelo to get some mat time and training in- to learn from Marcelo. Now it is all over the internet that Marcelo schooled him. Props to Ben for seeking out guys that will improve his grappling.

What's to be pissed about though? He got worked by arguably(as far as what I have been reading) the best no gi grappler in the entire world. To have lasted as long as he did in a few of those situations as a purple belt should be seen as an accomplishment in of itself.
    2013: +8.24u(increased unit size on 5/19)
    Favorites: 20-6 + 6.13u
    Underdogs: 10-19 -2.51u
    Ludo's Locks Parlay Project: +1.4u

2012: +20.311u

^^ Marcelo is top 5 IMO (interesting fact, Marcelo only trains no-gi once per week).

I just mean that he obviously went down there to learn from Marcelo and Marcelo's teachers. Then Marcelo schooled him as would be expected, and it is all over the place. Like if I was a world famous grappler and went to train takedowns with Satiev, I would be sort of pissed if Satiev posted a video of him throwing me all over the place. I don't know, just seems sort of wrong. But I am sure they asked Ben if it was ok... so it really more of a joking observation

So I was at Walmart today and, while I was in line, I saw something I'd heard of but never seen before: UFC cards. And you know my ass just had to buy a pack to check them out.

I was hoping to get Machida, and I did. All in all I ended up with:

Machida
    Guillard
    Lauzon
    Jim Miller
    Florian
    and a Sanchez/Guida "Top 10 Fights of 2009" card

Kind of a mixed bag there. . .

I heart cock

My 3 year old son has a Minotauro figure that he plays with a lot. The growth of the brand is a mixed blessing. On the upside, we have events to bet on just about every week. On the downside, you have a lot of dumbasses coming into the gym thinking they are chuck lidell.

Don't Bellator tournament winners get an automatic title shot?
    I heart cock

Quote Originally Posted by MMA_scientist
    ^^ Marcelo is top 5 IMO (interesting fact, Marcelo only trains no-gi once per week).

I just mean that he obviously went down there to learn from Marcelo and Marcelo's teachers. Then Marcelo schooled him as would be expected, and it is all over the place. Like if I was a world famous grappler and went to train takedowns with Satiev, I would be sort of pissed if Satiev posted a video of him throwing me all over the place. I don't know, just seems sort of wrong. But I am sure they asked Ben if it was ok... so it really more of a joking observation

This is being blown way out of proportion. Marcelo is top 5 in the world in BJJ ,Ben is a purple belt what did people think was going to happen lol?

This would be like sticking Couture in the boxing ring with Toney and watching Toney picking him apart. Instead of everyone making a big deal about it people would be like "well duh"

Its neat to watch but doesnt impress me all that much just because its expected
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Got a hold of the new Avenged Sevenfold album. There are a couple of tracks that standout, such as Buried Alive and Natural Born Killer, but all in all it's kind of disappointing and has a been there, done that feel to it. Still, if you've gotten into their past albums, you may like this one.

Oh, and it's got a really cool cover:

I heart cock

^^^^ Jesus WTF is that Satanic shit?
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Quote Originally Posted by Luke
    ^^^^ Jesus WTF is that Satanic shit?

I heart cock

Quote Originally Posted by SPX
    Natural Born Killer
    My homie

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=19
    Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter