Page 55 of 191 FirstFirst ... 545505152535455565758596065105155 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,100 of 3816

Thread: 2010 Off topic thread(basketball,movies,etc whatever)

Re: Off topic thread(basketball,movies,etc whatever)

Quote Originally Posted by zY|
    90s rock/alternative is pretty much the greatest music ever. Nirvana, stp, pumpkins, pearl jam, green day, alice in chains, etc etc ad infinitum. Pretty much everything in the first half of the decade. Love it.
    I thought it was good at the time, but listening to it now I really don't think it's aged well. That whole alternative/grunge scene seems more like a footnote in rock history than something that is supposed to perpetuate through the ages. It makes me think of the movie Singles, and dude's wearing flannel shirts, and everyone thinking Kurt Cobain is God.

I do still listen to Life of Agony though, and their early stuff had a grungy sound to it.
    I heart cock

Quote Originally Posted by Svino
    You should try "Anvil: The Story of Anvil". It's good, but depressing. Kind of like "This is Spinal Tap" crossed with "The Wrestler", but real.
    I saw Anvil. You're right, it is very good. I enjoyed it thoroughly. In fact, when it was over I remember thinking it was too short and wanted more. I am actually a big documentary fan and it's one of the better ones I've seen.

It is kind of depressing, true, though at least it ended on a high note. I know that the film actually kind of brought of a resurgence in popularity for them and I wonder how much of that they're still riding.
    I heart cock

Quote Originally Posted by IWS Zak
    Would you guys give me shit if I told you that I love Hall and Oates?
    Who?
    I heart cock

^^^^^^^^Your crossing lines now.
    Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

^^^^^^^^Your crossing lines now.
    LOL
    I heart cock

I ordered like , 12 CD's when I was younger, that thing where you mail it in for a penny and never pay for them. lol

I ordered 11 Rap CD's and a hall and oates greatest hits. My girlfriend (now wife) got the package and called me and said they fucked up and sent one of the CD's wrong.

In before cool story bro
    Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by SPX
    90s rock/alternative is pretty much the greatest music ever. Nirvana, stp, pumpkins, pearl jam, green day, alice in chains, etc etc ad infinitum. Pretty much everything in the first half of the decade. Love it.
    I thought it was good at the time, but listening to it now I really don't think it's aged well. That whole alternative/grunge scene seems more like a footnote in rock history than something that is supposed to perpetuate through the ages. It makes me think of the movie Singles, and dude's wearing flannel shirts, and everyone thinking Kurt Cobain is God.

I do still listen to Life of Agony though, and their early stuff had a grungy sound to it.
    Can't fox with that at all. If by 'footnote in rock history' you really mean 'last great era of rock' then I agree. There hasn't been a fucking thing worth a shit since.
    Triple-six killers in this motherfucker runnin shit

I ordered like , 12 CD's when I was younger, that thing where you mail it in for a penny and never pay for them. lol

I ordered 11 Rap CD's and a hall and oates greatest hits. My girlfriend (now wife) got the package and called me and said they fucked up and sent one of the CD's wrong.

In before cool story bro
    That IS a fine story. I did not quite lol, but I did smirk.

And yes, Columbia House. That's all part of growing up.
    I heart cock

Can't fox with that at all. If by 'footnote in rock history' you really mean 'last great era of rock' then I agree. There hasn't been a fucking thing worth a shit since.
    I'll expose myself to the flames and say that I feel that the nu-metal era was vastly superior. That's not to say that Nirvana, STP, Pearl Jam, etc. didn't produce some intelligent, thought-provoking music, but in terms of pure enjoyment I really have no desire to listen to it.

I'd take Disturbed, Korn, early Papa Roach, early Powerman 5000, Static-X, Sevendust, Kittie, Spineshank, System of a Down, early Linkin Park, and Drowning Pool over that shit any day.
    I heart cock

There hasn't been a fucking thing worth a shit since.
    Are you saying that you don't listen to any bands that came up after ~1995?
    I heart cock

No. Obviously that time period has some great bands that I love, but there is so much dogshit that came along with it. I think Nu metal gets a bad rap because it's been shoehorned into a terrible name that is unfair and also people remember the horrid bands. I'm sorry, but Spineshank and Static-X are godawful. I never like Disturbed, or Mudvayne. Limp Bizkit is pretty horrible, so is Kittie. Then you have nu metals crowning achievement, Slipknot. Taken for what they are, they aren't so bad. Its the way people perceive them that makes metalheads hate them so much. Slipknot is not the heaviest or most technical band in the world by any stretch of the imagination like many of their fans believe.

It's probably more the seedy record companies' fault than anyone, trying to push shit bands to find the next big thing. But yeah, of course I like Korn, Sevendust, SOAD. Seen all those bands live. I was a a concert in 98 where (hed) pe, snot, and soulfly played in a row (at the New Daisy) right before they all got popular and it was the greatest thing ever. Also old Incubus from the 90s before they went all lame was amazing. Check out their album S.C.I.E.N.C.E. Love it.

So pretty much what I think I'm saying is the alternative time period was the last great rock movement.

Also, I can't believe you actually wrote the words 'Drowning Pool' without bursting out laughing.

BTW,

GWAR anyone?

No. Obviously that time period has some great bands that I love, but there is so much dogshit that came along with it. I think Nu metal gets a bad rap because it's been shoehorned into a terrible name that is unfair and also people remember the horrid bands. I'm sorry, but Spineshank and Static-X are godawful. I never like Disturbed, or Mudvayne. Limp Bizkit is pretty horrible, so is Kittie. Then you have nu metals crowning achievement, Slipknot. Taken for what they are, they aren't so bad. Its the way people perceive them that makes metalheads hate them so much. Slipknot is not the heaviest or most technical band in the world by any stretch of the imagination like many of their fans believe.
    One problem with the nu-metal label is that it's quite vast and encompasses a lot of bands that don't sound that much alike. I mean, when Slipknot and Flyleaf are thrown into the same category of "nu-metal," you know that the distinction is not very exact. I've heard a lot of very heavy, very awesome music that's been classified as nu-metal and I've heard a lot of soft ass shit like Trust Company and Taproot.

To respond to the bands you mentioned:

Spineshank - Self-Destructive Pattern was an awesome album. I used to rock out to it hard core when I was delivering pizzas almost a decade ago.

Static-X - Not a huge fan, but they've had their moments and Shadow Zone is an excellent album all the way through. It's definitely their most melodic effort and I regret that they only went in that direction for a single recording.

Disturbed - Definitely a Disturbed fan and they're one of the few bands I gave enough of a fuck about to go see live. Not sure what all you've heard from them, but if you haven't heard it, you should definitely try to listen to 10,000 Fists with an open mind. It's their crowning achievement and I doubt they'll ever top it.

Mudvayne/Slipknot - I never really got into either and have never owned an album from either. I've heard their "hits" here and there, but that's it. I have a habit of finally getting around to getting into bands like 10 years after they become popular, though, so maybe I'll grab some of their stuff soon.

Limp Bizkit - I had an LB phase, but they were never a favorite band or anything. I very rarely listen to them, but I can still rock out to Rollin' if it's playing and there were some good songs on the RATM-esque The Unquestionable Truth Pt. 1. I understand they're going to be coming out with a new album later this year. I'll check it out.

Kittie - Eh. Not a big fan, but I do have one album and I play a few songs off of it from time to time. They have their moments and chick bands always have the novelty angle.

It's probably more the seedy record companies' fault than anyone, trying to push shit bands to find the next big thing. But yeah, of course I like Korn, Sevendust, SOAD. Seen all those bands live. I was a a concert in 98 where (hed) pe, snot, and soulfly played in a row (at the New Daisy) right before they all got popular and it was the greatest thing ever. Also old Incubus from the 90s before they went all lame was amazing. Check out their album S.C.I.E.N.C.E. Love it.
    I've heard songs from S.C.I.E.N.C.E. and it was definitely better than the shit that I've heard off their more recent albums. I remember that video of dude drawing the hand where it draws itself or whatever. That song sucked.

Also, I can't believe you actually wrote the words 'Drowning Pool' without bursting out laughing.
    Drowning Pool's first album was good and it sucks that Dave Williams died. How can you not like "Bodies?" Sure, it's been overplayed to hell and back, but when it was fresh it kicked so much ass.

BTW, what do you think of the metalcore bands?
    I heart cock

One problem with the nu-metal label is that it's quite vast and encompasses a lot of bands that don't sound that much alike. I mean, when Slipknot and Flyleaf are thrown into the same category of "nu-metal," you know that the distinction is not very exact. I've heard a lot of very heavy, very awesome music that's been classified as nu-metal and I've heard a lot of soft ass shit like Trust Company and Taproot.
    That's a good point.

It could just be overly broad categorization.

Limp Bizkit - I had an LB phase, but they were never a favorite band or anything. I very rarely listen to them, but I can still rock out to Rollin' if it's playing and there were some good songs on the RATM-esque The Unquestionable Truth Pt. 1. I understand they're going to be coming out with a new album later this year. I'll check it out.
    Limp Bizkit's first album was cool when it came out. I love RATM too, their first 2 albums are pretty legendary.

Drowning Pool's first album was good and it sucks that Dave Williams died. How can you not like "Bodies?" Sure, it's been overplayed to hell and back, but when it was fresh it kicked so much ass.
    LOL. I have an amusing story about Drowning Pool. I saw them at this bar in Memphis before they got big, like they weren't even headlining. We thought they were pretty 'meh', then they closed out the set with Bodies. He said something like "This is going to be the rock anthem of 2000!" and then they jumped into it. My friends and I just laughed like what is this fat motherfucker talking about, made fun of him for weeks. And then, well, you know, I heard it on the radio.

BTW, what do you think of the metalcore bands?
    Some of it, not much.

I really like Hatebreed, but the rest of it I can take or leave. I used to listen to stuff like Killswitch Engage, Chimaira, All that Remains, but it's hard to go back to it after you get into the more extreme genres.

Also I like Lamb of God, some people consider that metalcore as well.

Limp Bizkit's first album was cool when it came out. I love RATM too, their first 2 albums are pretty legendary.
    Did you hear anything off of The Unquestionable Truth? If you like RATM, you may actually like that album. Some people accused them of actually trying to rip off RATM's sound, which they denied, but either way it kind of worked. I can't remember the names, but there were three songs on that album that I thought were pretty cool.

LOL. I have an amusing story about Drowning Pool. I saw them at this bar in Memphis before they got big, like they weren't even headlining. We thought they were pretty 'meh', then they closed out the set with Bodies. He said something like "This is going to be the rock anthem of 2000!" and then they jumped into it. My friends and I just laughed like what is this fat motherfucker talking about, made fun of him for weeks. And then, well, you know, I heard it on the radio.
    Ha ha. That is pretty funny. Dude, that song got HUGE. I wouldn't be surprised if they were all set for life because of that one song . . . except for the singer, of course.

I really like Hatebreed, but the rest of it I can take or leave. I used to listen to stuff like Killswitch Engage, Chimaira, All that Remains, but it's hard to go back to it after you get into the more extreme genres.

Also I like Lamb of God, some people consider that metalcore as well.
    I actually saw Hatebreed a while back. They were actually touring with Disturbed, as a matter of fact. I have never really gotten into their recordings, but they actually kicked ass live. I would definitely go see them again. I don't really think of them as metalcore, though.

Killswitch is really good, I think. They're remake of Holy Diver kicks ass. Avenged is good. Bullet for My Valentine is kind of hit and miss and can be a little emo, but overall I like their stuff. And I like Silent Civilian, which was Johnny Santos's (lead singer of Spineshank) side project.

BTW you may want to look into Bloodsimple, if you haven't heard them. Their first album in particular is awesome, I think.
    I heart cock

Oh shit Bloodsimple is 2 of the guys from Vision of Disorder. I fucking love that band. Definitely have to check Bloodsimple out.

Did you hear anything off of The Unquestionable Truth? If you like RATM, you may actually like that album. Some people accused them of actually trying to rip off RATM's sound, which they denied, but either way it kind of worked. I can't remember the names, but there were three songs on that album that I thought were pretty cool.
    No I've never even heard of it. I stopped paying attention to them after that Chocolate Starfish album. I'll look into it.

And I take it back, Limp Bizkit isn't that awful. Their 2nd album is a guilty of pleasure of mine. I love Nookie, Re-arranged, and of course I'm gonna break your fucking face tonight.

Oh shit Bloodsimple is 2 of the guys from Vision of Disorder. I fucking love that band. Definitely have to check Bloodsimple out.
    I'd listen to their first album, A Cruel World, first. Then go to Red Harvest, which was still good, but not quite as good in my opinion.
    I heart cock

No I've never even heard of it. I stopped paying attention to them after that Chocolate Starfish album. I'll look into it.
    The whole situation surrounding that album was odd.

I'll quote from Wiki:

The EP marked a departure from the more mainstream and hip hop sound that the band was known for. The 7-track EP also marked a further slide away from mainstream recognition, debuting at #24 on the Billboard 200 (Results May Vary peaked at number 3). The Unquestionable Truth marked the return of guitarist Wes Borland. Borland had been absent since the 2000 release of Chocolate Starfish and the Hot Dog Flavored Water which was visible in the sales of 2003's Results May Vary.

One of the key differences between this and other Limp Bizkit albums was the serious tone of the lyrics, as well as Durst's increased involvement in the recording process of the album. For example, "The Surrender" was written by Fred Durst, who played guitar on the song live while recording the vocals, with Wes Borland later adding in the solo. None of the songs off the album have been performed live with the exception of The Truth.
    . . . and from an MTV article that came out around it's release:

So what will Limp Bizkit do to launch their next album?

Actually, their next album was released weeks ago, on May 3. That this is news to so many people should tell it all.

There was no celebrity-packed party, no cameras, no tour, no video, no commercials and not even a single interview. Instead, we got a blog. Fred Durst, sitting in front of his computer in his underwear, promoting his music the same way an unsigned 15-year-old might market his latest batch of bedroom recordings, except with messages so vague it's hard to tell if Durst is even writing about Limp Bizkit at all.

In its first week out, The Unquestionable Truth (Part 1) (a collection of seven songs with a full-length album's price tag) sold 37,000 copies, according to SoundScan, a dismal showing compared to first-week totals of Chocolate Starfish and the Hot Dog Flavored Water (1,055,000), Significant Other (635,000) and Results May Vary (325,000).
    You may want to check it out just so you can say that you've heard it. I don't talk to many people who are even aware of its existence.
    I heart cock

Democrat Anthony Weiner goes off. . .

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot/20 ... ealth-fund
    I heart cock