Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345678914 ... LastLast

Thread: UFC 120 England Oct 16th

Re: UFC 120 England Oct 16th

Kongo/Browne is intriguing.

Akiyama going to Greg Jackson's. . .

ALBUQUERQUE -- As a spirited sparring session involving the likes of Donald Cerrone, Melvin Guillard and Leonard Garcia wound down at Jackson’s Mixed Martial Arts on Thursday morning, an interested observer from across the ocean stood cageside, ready to add his name to the ever-growing roster of fighters who travel to train in New Mexico.

On Wednesday, Jackson’s general manager Ricky Kottenstette had confirmed via text message that Japanese fighter Yoshihiro Akiyama would begin training under Greg Jackson in preparation for his upcoming bout with Michael Bisping at the main event of UFC 120 on Oct. 16 in London.

“I was contacted by one of his representatives, and he said that (Akiyama) was looking to join a team. I went ahead and set it up, and he’s looking forward to working with (standup coach) Mr. (Mike) Winkeljohn and Greg for this camp,” Kottenstette said.

On Thursday, the former K-1 and Dream veteran was at the school for the first time, watching a workout and then meeting with Kottenstette and Jackson in the trainer’s office. There the fighter and coach began the preliminary stages of game-planning for Bisping, as well as setting up a schedule to begin working with both Jackson and Winkeljohn.

Jackson, impressed with both the demeanor and repertoire of his newest pupil, said that Akiyama is a welcome addition to his camp.

“His fluidity is what I enjoy, the way he transitions from one thing to the next. And his attitude: he likes to fight,” he said. “It just brings a skillset to the table, judo and his particular style. Another good guy for the team: sparring and he’ll bring in his own ideas.”

The 35-year-old middleweight is coming off a loss to Chris Leben at UFC 116 in July, where he was likely on his way to earning a decision victory before “The Crippler” caught him with a triangle choke at 4:40 of the third round. Akiyama’s fighting debut in the U.S. came at UFC 100 in a split decision triumph over Alan Belcher in July 2009.

The ethnic Korean fighter owns notable wins over Dennis Kang and Melvin Manhoef during his pro career. His loss to Leben was his first defeat since 2005, when he suffered a knockout via knees to Jerome LeBanner at K-1 Hero’s 1. Seven of his 13 career victories have come by submission.

Kottenstette could not confirm whether the move to Jackson’s will be a permanent one.

“I don’t know his intentions long term. He’s down here to do a camp, and we’re happy to have him,” he said.

UFC 120 takes place at the O2 Arena on October 16 and will air on Spike TV.
    I heart cock

1u on Akiyama, considering 2u.

Akiyama's issues are twofold. Conditioning, and crowd pleasing. If he fixes those, he'll tune Bisping up. I'd like to think a camp with Jackson would shore up things like that, but I'll believe it when I see it.
    Triple-six killers in this motherfucker runnin shit

Quote Originally Posted by zY|
    Akiyama's issues are twofold. Conditioning, and crowd pleasing. If he fixes those, he'll tune Bisping up. I'd like to think a camp with Jackson would shore up things like that, but I'll believe it when I see it.
    What do you mean by "crowd pleasing?"
    I heart cock

I mean brawling with Chris Leben.

Quote Originally Posted by zY|
    I mean brawling with Chris Leben.
    He's a pretty exciting fighter.
    I heart cock

Mike Pyle is a classy guy.

"I will beat the sh*t out of John Hathaway. Let's face it; the fight that he had with Diego (Sanchez) wasn't an awesome, back-and-forth fight. Diego's a small, somewhat average (sized) [155-pound fighter]."

"I'm a big welterweight, I'm a long welterweight. He’s fought a lot of shorter opponents. He's had a reach advantage, and he's been able to use that really well. He stayed away from actually having to get in a fight with [Diego]."

"It's not an, 'Oh my god, if I don't get (John Hathaway) down, there's nothing I can do (situation)’. I could knock the kid out. I almost knocked out the last dude. This kid's going to be in for hell. I ain't Diego Sanchez. His last fight was a good and easy fight. This time, he's in for the fight of his life."

"I can't wait for (the British fans) to boo me. I'm going to suck it all up and spit it right back out at all them crooked-teethed Englishmen."

Bump for us UFC 119 losers trying to figure out how to make our money back.

I like Patrick to beat Wilks. We might get a good line because of Wilks being the TUF winner. I also like Kongo to beat Browne, but the will probably be full blown retarded.

I think Akiyama has a very good shot at beating bisping. I highly doubt Bisping is going to be knocking him out. He could outpoint him for a D win though obviously.

Heres the thing though, Akiyamas chin is so good he can probably wade in and try to take down Bisping a lot easier than he could with someone like Leben..I'm not saying Bisping can't knock someone out, he has a lot of ko wins but I just don't see him having that one punch power to stop Akiyamas t-downs.

I think this is a gift line. He was winning against Leben until he gassed. That was the cause of his loss..training with jackson should improve that quite a bit. Also getting cracked by Leben has to take some air out of you.
    1 unit = 300 $

Bisping's takedown D is pretty decent though as far as I remember.
    1 unit = 300 $

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/UFC-10 ... Play-20882

Play by play for Bisping Kang. Kang was outstriking Bisping on the feet until Bp got a takedown and gandp'd him for a victory.

Bisping was outstruck on the feet by Wanderlei, Kang, and Hendo. They are all good but it shows that Bisping def has his limits in the standup.

Bisping should have the edge standing but the takedowns might distract him enough for Yoshi to land one of those bombs.
    1 unit = 300 $

I wouldn't bet on Akiyama until he proves he won't gas.

This guy was nearly an Olympian, hes gotta be able to get past gassing at some point. Did he gas when he fought Belcher?
    1 unit = 300 $

Quote Originally Posted by edman5555
    This guy was nearly an Olympian, hes gotta be able to get past gassing at some point. Did he gas when he fought Belcher?
    Pretty much

I just watched the end of his fight against belcher and he looked pretty tired. He wasn't gassed like the Leben fight though.
    1 unit = 300 $

His standup isnt bad but I think Bisping will beat him there after watching him fight again. He looks strong as hell though, he beat belcher by taking him down more or less.
    1 unit = 300 $

http://www.mmatko.com/sean-sherk-vs-eva ... o-ufc-119/

Sherk Dunham fight. I just rewatched R2 and I can see why they give it to Sherk. Watch it again. The standup was actually pretty close up until the last minute or so. Dunham was landing more then.

It wasn't a bad decision. Though I could see them giving it to Dunham or even a draw.
    1 unit = 300 $

^^you mean round 2 where Dunham outlanded Sherk by 2 to 1 with 4 submission attempts?

Quote Originally Posted by edman5555
    http://www.mmatko.com/sean-sherk-vs-evan-dunham-fight-video-ufc-119/

Sherk Dunham fight. I just rewatched R2 and I can see why they give it to Sherk. Watch it again. The standup was actually pretty close up until the last minute or so. Dunham was landing more then.

It wasn't a bad decision. Though I could see them giving it to Dunham or even a draw.

We finally found someone that scores a round as bad as Ludo does
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP