Page 46 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3641424344454647 ... LastLast

Thread: UFC 123 - Machida/Rampage

Re: UFC 123 - Machida/Rampage

Quote Originally Posted by SPX
    Quote Originally Posted by sbjj
    How do you know. Most sponsors(I would assume) would not want that info. released.
    I know because that's what I was told by two different fighters.

You have to remember that I write for an MMA magazine. I have to research a lot of different aspects of the sport and the industry, and I've gotten to talk to a decent handful of people involved with various aspects of the whole thing. I'm still a neophyte but I'm learning a lot pretty quickly.

Including Gerald Harris, who I did a profile on for this month's issue of UMMA, which is probably why I'm pretty defensive about this bullshit the UFC is pulling. I've communicated with him several times now and he's actually a really cool guy. I want to see him treated fairly and reasonably.
    I just think I see things differently. Anytime in my life i thought I was treated unfairly, something better came out of it. I would not doubt that Harris actually gets a better contract with Strikeforce and maybe even becomes one of their top fighters. I look at it as White doing him a favor if the guy plays his cards right.

Everyone in the world, besides a very few has to work their way up making chump change before they become successful. Unless you are born rich or are lucky enought to work for the Gov. These guys are no different than the rest of the population, exceot they get to do what they truly love to do and get paid.

Quote Originally Posted by edman5555
    Can you estimate pay for the average fighter? Not the top 10 guys but the guys just beneath that? How much does a first time ufc fighter get in sponsorships for a televised fight?

I read Sean McCorkle said he got about 25k total for his fight against Hunt.
    Was that fight even scheduled to be televised? I wonder if a sponsor would have a tiered system set up in case the fight made the broadcast.

You have to remember that I write for an MMA magazine.
    Triple-six killers in this motherfucker runnin shit

Quote Originally Posted by zY|
    Hmm?
    I heart cock

I just think I see things differently. Anytime in my life i thought I was treated unfairly, something better came out of it. I would not doubt that Harris actually gets a better contract with Strikeforce and maybe even becomes one of their top fighters. I look at it as White doing him a favor if the guy plays his cards right.

Everyone in the world, besides a very few has to work their way up making chump change before they become successful. Unless you are born rich or are lucky enought to work for the Gov. These guys are no different than the rest of the population, exceot they get to do what they truly love to do and get paid.
    All anyone is saying is that the UFC not only has an unrealistic, unattainable standard and arbitrarily cuts guys that don't deserve to be cut but also keeps around worthless shitheads who lose every fight, and we don't like it.

double

Hmm?
    It's from Anchorman. Just fuckin with you.

Quote Originally Posted by edman5555
    Can you estimate pay for the average fighter? Not the top 10 guys but the guys just beneath that? How much does a first time ufc fighter get in sponsorships for a televised fight?

I read Sean McCorkle said he got about 25k total for his fight against Hunt.
    One thing to keep in mind is that unless they're a "name," like Shields, a first-time UFC fighter will rarely get on the main card. I think the only reason Falcao did was because they were wanting to showcase Harris.

I'm probably going to give it a couple of weeks before I try to contact Gerald again because I don't want to fuck with him while he's all emotional and shit, but I can try to find out what he made for sponsorships in his undercard fights and then what he made for sponsorships in the Falcao fight. That would probably tell us a lot.

As for average fighter pay, well, here are the payouts for UFC 115, which shows that the money is really all over the place:

* Rich Franklin $140,000 ($70,000 win bonus) def. Chuck Liddell ($500,000)
    * Mirko Filipovic $150,000 ($75,000 win bonus) def. Pat Barry ($11,000)
    * Martin Kampman $50,000 ($25,000 win bonus) def. Paulo Thiago ($18,000)
    * Ben Rothwell $100,000 ($50,000 win bonus) def. Gilbert Yvel ($30,000)
    * Carlos Condit $52,000 ($26,000 win bonus) def. Rory MacDonald ($8,000)
    * Evan Dunham $26,000 ($13,000 win bonus) def. Tyson Griffin ($28,000)
    * Matt Wiman $28,000 ($14,000 win bonus) def. Mac Danzig ($24,000)
    * Mario Miranda $12,000 ($6,000 win bonus) def. David Loiseau ($12,000)
    * James Wilks $30,000 ($15,000 win bonus) def. Peter Sobotta ($4,000)
    * Claude Patrick $12,000 ($6,000 win bonus) def. Ricardo Funch ($5,000)
    * Mike Pyle $38,000 ($19,000 win bonus) def. Jesse Lennox ($7,000)
    I heart cock

All anyone is saying is that the UFC not only has an unrealistic, unattainable standard and arbitrarily cuts guys that don't deserve to be cut but also keeps around worthless shitheads who lose every fight, and we don't like it.
    And I am just saying I could care less about it. I am not saying you guys are wrong. Just that I could care less. I have more sympathy for the dude who drives a truck for a living and gets a DUI and can no longer provide for his family. Harris will be fine, and Dana was well within his right to let him go. I just really do not think it is a big deal. People were screaming for blood after the Harris fight. Dana cans the guy, and now everyone feels bad.

And I am just saying I could care less about it. I am not saying you guys are wrong. Just that I could care less. I have more sympathy for the dude who drives a truck for a living and gets a DUI and can no longer provide for his family. Harris will be fine, and Dana was well within his right to let him go. I just really do not think it is a big deal. People were screaming for blood after the Harris fight. Dana cans the guy, and now everyone feels bad.
    You're generalizing. I don't believe the people upset about it were the same people screaming for blood. I know I wasn't. That's fine that you don't care. I just don't understand why you're still talking about it.

Also why do you have sympathy for some dude getting a DUI? Maybe he should've thought about that before he went out and did something as irresponsible as drinking and driving.

Well, for one, there's no guarantee that he's going to get picked up by Strikeforce or even Bellator. I would THINK so, but who knows.

For another, Harris has a strange history with the UFC already. He goes on to the Ultimate Fighter, where he wins one fight and then goes on to fight Amir--the eventual season winner--but gets TKOd in what is arguably an early stoppage. Despite both factors, the UFC still chooses not to give him a fight at the finale. He then goes on to win like 7 fights outside of the UFC with a single goal--to get back into the UFC--and after calling up Junkie Radio and getting through to Dana White one day when he was a guest on the show, he ends up getting a contract.

Then he comes back into the UFC, wins 3 in a row against 3 undefeated opponents, all stoppages, and picks up two KOTN bonuses in the process.

And then one bad fight and he's out again.

The one time I talked to him on the phone, I asked him directly if he had considered going to SF or Japan before being asked back to the UFC. He said he had considered it, but it's not what he really wanted, so he chose to put his energy into pursuing what he really wanted. And that was to fight for the UFC.

It's his dream. And it's been taken away twice now under questionable circumstances.
    I heart cock

Bottom line, Harris really does not do anything for me. I watch these guys fight and bet on them. I do not live threw them, and they do not help me or my family. I just do not have empathy for this dude, he will be just fine. And I honestly do not think he was that great of a fighter. Half these guys should be out of the UFC to make room for some of the hungry young guys. I have no idea why they keep some of them around. But they must have their reasons, and they seem to be running things pretty well.

They probably keep some of the shitty europeans around because they fight cheap and draw in people overseas. They probably keep Baroni around because they can use him as a charity write off.

You're generalizing. I don't believe the people upset about it were the same people screaming for blood. I know I wasn't. That's fine that you don't care. I just don't understand why you're still talking about it.

Also why do you have sympathy for some dude getting a DUI? Maybe he should've thought about that before he went out and did something as irresponsible as drinking and driving.
    I have empathy for him because he could have been a guy that made a bad mistake and lost his livelihood and a means to put food on his families table. We all make mistakes, but those mistakes all hit us differently.

The majority of internet folks were screaming for blood after the fight, and everyoone(I guess besides me) is now screaming about him getting cut. there has to be some overlap.

You're generalizing. I don't believe the people upset about it were the same people screaming for blood. I know I wasn't.
    I agree. Some booing retards in Michigan =/= the vast majority of the hardcore MMA fanbase.

We've all done that, though. I've for damn sure driven under circumstances where I could've gotten popped if I had been pulled over. I assume you have, too.
    I heart cock

Well, because I was having a conversation with SPX(mostly) about it. If you do not want to be part of the conversation, you are welcome to just listen.

They probably keep Baroni around because they can use him as a charity write off.
    LOL!
    I heart cock

At this rate, Penn's gonna beat Fitch and Fitch will get cut.
    I heart cock

[quote=SPX]
    You're generalizing. I don't believe the people upset about it were the same people screaming for blood. I know I wasn't.
    I agree. Some booing retards in Michigan =/= the vast majority of the hardcore MMA fanbase.

Quote Originally Posted by "zY|":2fdbpvn8
    We've all done that, though. I've for damn sure driven under circumstances where I could've gotten popped if I had been pulled over. I assume you have, too.[/quote:2fdbpvn8]

I had a DUI when I was 17 years old. I sat in a class with a guy who worked for the movie industry as a driver. He lost his job and was in a depression. He assaulted the instructor in the class and I never saw the guy again. His actions are not justified, but I felt very sorry for him because his life was shattered for the mistake that he made. he probably ended up doing time after his assault on the instructor.

At this rate, Penn's gonna beat Fitch and Fitch will get cut.
    Nah, he will have him face Shields and then cut them both.

I had a DUI when I was 17 years old. I sat in a class with a guy who worked for the movie industry as a driver. He lost his job and was in a depression. He assaulted the instructor in the class and I never saw the guy again. His actions are not justified, but I felt very sorry for him because his life was shattered for the mistake that he made. he probably ended up doing time after his assault on the instructor.
    I generally try to believe in compassion. If we all "got what we deserved" then none of us would be in a good spot. Mercy>Justice.
    I heart cock