Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345678914 ... LastLast

Thread: Strikeforce October 9th

Re: Strikeforce October 9th

Quote Originally Posted by SPX
    Quote Originally Posted by poopoo333
    He was dropped and almost finished by a guy with ridiculous stand up.
    Wasn't that guy like the only man to ever KO Jacare with a punch?
    Yeah lol, but his stand up looked like shit and that was early in Jacare's career.

Yeah lol, but his stand up looked like shit and that was early in Jacare's career.
    I remember he had Galvao rocked pretty bad in the first. But other than that, yeah, I wasn't particularly impressed or anything.
    I heart cock

Patino is a bjj world champ himself... but he is like 42 years old. I was on Galvao in that fight and thought it was a lock.

Galvao held his own in the stand-up with other fighters though. I really think this is Woodley's fight to lose.. but his success will depend a lot on his gameplan. I think if he tries to sprawl and brawl, he still has to watch out, because Galvao has some takedown skill or he can use the failed takedown attempt to transition to half guard which a lot of confident bjj guys do these days. I expect Galvao to gas like he always does after about 8 minutes, but he still manages to win late rounds with top control. Still, I think there is a real good chance that he gets Woodley's back and chokes him or takes an arm.
    2012: +19.33
    2012 Parlay project: +16.5u

Quote Originally Posted by SPX
    I remember he had Galvao rocked pretty bad in the first. But other than that, yeah, I wasn't particularly impressed or anything.
    That was kind of my point. Woodley > Patino in stand up.

I <3 MMA math

Ok so you guys noticed Galvao and he is a gasser?
    1 unit = 300 $

On paper he looks like a good bet. Amazing bjj against a wrestler that tries to submit people.
    1 unit = 300 $

If Woodley comes to grapple, I think he will regret that. He can probably get away with it late in the fight. He won't do well while Galvao has gas in the tank. If he is smart, he comes to box.

I still favor Woodley, but I think Galvao has value for sure. Woodley has never fought someone as athletic as he is either.. Galvao is a freak athlete.

I bet on Galvao in both of his last two fights when he was a significant favorite, and each time I ended up feeling lucky he won. I'm worried he's one of those guys who hasn't really been able to transfer his pure BJJ skills to MMA. IIRC, he didn't get particularly close to subbing Patino or Stewart, and I'm doubting he'll be able to submit Woodley, even if he doesn't have the BJJ creds of those two.

Just watched Diaz/Noons and a few thoughts:

This fight happened a little while back, so it's hard to know for sure how much either fighter has changed.

Noons showed some pretty good TDD, but Diaz did get Noons down a couple of times (which Noons was able to scramble out of).

If, relationally speaking, the increase in boxing skills since this fight are comparable then Noons isn't going to have any of Diaz's pitter-patter bullshit and will beat him soundly on the feat. It may not be by a mile, but it will be a clear advantage for Noons.

I think that Diaz's extra size is going to give Noons problems. I hope Noons has been building some muscle in the meantime.

Kind of a weak stoppage. The cut didn't look THAT bad. They should've at least let him go out for one more round.

That is all. . .
    I heart cock

Quote Originally Posted by Svino
    I bet on Galvao in both of his last two fights when he was a significant favorite, and each time I ended up feeling lucky he won.
    Same. The Stewart decision was a gift.

I bet on Galvao in both of his last two fights when he was a significant favorite, and each time I ended up feeling lucky he won.
    Same. The Stewart decision was a gift.
    Well, I actually disagree there. I think that was one of those "watch it with the sound off" cases. But I was definitely on the wrong side of the line.

Well, I actually disagree there. I think that was one of those "watch it with the sound off" cases. But I was definitely on the wrong side of the line.
    Lol, I actually remember thinking after the fight "I'm sure the judges saw that for Galvao", but I remember thinking Stewart probably should have won. I would have to watch it again though.

I thought the Galvao/Stewart fight could have gone either way... interestingly, if it was a bjj match (which it almost was) Galvao would have won like 19-3 IIRC. Stewart was actually reversing him from under side control (not an actual sweep), so Galvao would have scored for each takedown, then scored for passing the guard. Reversals don't score in bjj. Then every time Stewart got on top, Galvao just got up and took him back down, he didn't really do anything with it. Still, I would not have felt it was a robbery had they given it to Stewart.

But if you watch Galvao fight other non-bjj blackbelts, he throws up subs from every where. His last 2 fights were against other high level bjj practitioners. He hit a wicked armbar on Alessio, and he had High (another wrestler) in a whole lot of trouble several times- I think Galvao had his back for like 4 minutes. I think it will look like the High fight on the ground if it gets there.

Going to roll with thewiseman on Diaz.

I think Noons is getting way too much respect after his performance against Gurgel when just about anyone can look good against gurgel. The difference in the ground game is huge and while Noons has good TDD I don't think it will hold up late into the fight as noons tends to gas. Diaz has 5 rounds to work and he's a cardio monster with a great chin and good recovery ...he's going to wear noons out and sub him. I doubt Noons is even a blue belt in BJJ.

I imagine Diaz will be rocked a few times but Noons probably won't follow him to the ground (smartly) and Diaz recovers well enough that I don't think he'll be TKOed.

^^ agreed on all counts. I just don't like the line. I liked it a lot more @ -170. Diaz does not have good takedowns though. Conor Heun was a decent wrestler and was only able to get Noons down once... it actually went the other way, he got his takedown early but could not get one as the fight wore on.

I don't think it is out of the realm of possibility that Noons will be able to avoid grappling for the entire fight. People have done it against much better wrestlers than Diaz (including Noons, who has done it against a better wrestler in Heun- of course Heun should have subbed Noons in round 1, and I think Diaz would have subbed him in the same spot).

I'm thinking about Noons. He really dominated Nate in the first fight. Did you know he has the following creds?

Boxing
    2004 Olympic Boxing Trials Semifinalist
    Kickboxing
    ISKA Super Middleweight International Champion
    US Open International Middleweight Champion
    Art of War Middleweight Champion
    MMA
    PrideFC 2005 auditions for "Best Striker" winner

Also Scientist, isn't Galvao one of the best BJJ guys on the planet? Your really not favoring him against a college wrestler?
    1 unit = 300 $

Quote Originally Posted by edman5555
    Also Scientist, isn't Galvao one of the best BJJ guys on the planet? Your really not favoring him against a college wrestler?
    He's definitely elite. I favor him in a ground battle. I only have said that the bjj guy will win a mat war and that he won't be controlled by a wrestler. I still think that. I only slightly favor Woodley because I think he might force a standup fight. I don't know if he will be able to though, Galvao has good takedowns.

Galvao is a little different too... he is almost a wrestler, like Arona. He usually gets the takedown and then passes or scrambles into a dominant spot... if you watch his bjj, he is not really a guard player. I still think he will drink Woodley's milkshake on the mat though, yes. Even from his guard.

By drink Woodleys milkshake I'm taking it as meaning lose to Woodley...
    1 unit = 300 $

Or beat him? Actually cancel that. Your saying he will beat him.
    1 unit = 300 $

I drink your MILKSHAKE! c'mon man. Catch phrase of 2009 from "There Will Be Blood"

I meant Galvao will whup his ass on the ground (at least until he runs out of gas).

One of my top 3 all time favorite bjj vids, Galvao clowning a fake bjj bb, there is a whoel story behind it- please watch, it will make you a fan: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyvOTEz7 ... r_embedded

See pretty sweet Galvao bjj highlight with epic battle music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWTd705t1oc