Page 12 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415161722 ... LastLast

Thread: UFC 125

Antonio McKee has his critics, and UFC 125 opponent Jacob Volkmann is one of them.

After watching some tape of McKee use wrestling and top control to outpoint opponents, Volkmann came away unimpressed.

“It was pretty boring,” Volkmann said during an October interview on the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “He just took the guy down, stayed in his guard and he did a little bit of ground-and-pound, and that’s it. He’s a very boring fighter.”

Volkmann meets McKee on Saturday in a preliminary lightweight bout. Although McKee’s style has proven dominant in the cage, Volkmann has the better wrestling resume. He was a three-time All-American at the University of Minnesota; McKee did not wrestle Division I but was a standout at a community college in California.

“He’s a wrestler and I don’t even know if he wrestled in college, did he? So he really doesn’t understand when it actually comes to wrestling that there’s a lot more than just what you learned from high school,” Volkmann said. “There’s finer points in wrestling, finer points on how to defend takedowns, and he doesn’t understand that. And how to shoot: He shoots with his head down. He reaches. It’s going to be actually pretty fun to sprawl on him and take his back.”

Volkmann was quick to state his belief that his wrestling is better than McKee’s. He doesn’t think that will keep McKee from shooting for takedowns, though.

“He shoots no matter what,” Volkmann said. “It doesn’t matter. He’s going to shoot even if he gets out of position. He’s still going for the legs. Even if he’s five feet away, he shoots. I’m assuming it’s going to get to the ground. It’s just a matter of who’s going to end up on top.”

Despite his confidence in his wrestling, Volkmann said he’s also prepared to be on the bottom. He’s been training with Paul Bradley, a two-time All-American wrestler at Iowa, and does not think McKee can hold him down.

“Paul Bradley’s one of those guys that will take you down and he’ll hold you,” Volkmann said. “So I’ve been working a lot with him, just moving your hips and pushing his head down to your hips and moving. It’s pretty easy to get out. Eventually you’re going to get out. I’m not too worried about his punches, so as long as I’m not worried about his punches, I can get out of there pretty easy.”

While Volkmann may have the more impressive wrestling pedigree, McKee is vastly more experienced in the cage. Volkmann debuted in 2007, roughly eight years after McKee had scored his first win.

Volkmann did get to the Octagon first, though. The fight Saturday will be his fifth in the UFC but just the first for McKee, who had called out the promotion for not signing him despite a strong record. Volkmann was largely unaware of the route McKee has taken to the UFC and questioned why fans would have wanted him to get a shot in the big show.

“First of all, I didn’t even know he had fans,” Volkmann said. “I thought he was a very boring fighter. Whoever watches him probably doesn’t watch anybody else fight.”

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    Thats really stretching it X. Azevedo is 7-6 in the past 4 years against subpar competition not to mention the Aldo and Thomas fights were almost 5 years ago. Alot happens in 5 years
    Point taken. I'm not saying McKee will win, but I do think that he will. But there are a lot of question marks here. I actually might throw something small on Volkmann.
    I heart cock

Quote Originally Posted by SPX View Post
    Point taken. I'm not saying McKee will win, but I do think that he will. But there are a lot of question marks here. I actually might throw something small on Volkmann.
    I expect Mckee to win .I've never once said I thought Volkmann will win ,I said I think the line is too high
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

1.05u on Roberts to win 1

arbed out 3u on Mckee for a small profit (.15u).

2u on Mckee to win 1.02

Just watched the countdown show on Versus. Starting to get into this card now. Love the football by day, fights by night Saturday 1/1 lineup looking at me. Going to bet the Diaz/Dong fight, Frankie/Gray and probably throw something on Leben too. Might throw a lil something extra in there, depending how I do on the Rose Bowl, but going to try and throw a total of 2 units on the fights.

Quote Originally Posted by MMA_scientist View Post
    arbed out 3u on Mckee for a small profit (.15u).

2u on Mckee to win 1.02
    Are you done with the magic prop parlays? I wanted to try one at this event, but there is nothing that sticks out to me at all on this card to make one of them have value.

^^ no I am not done with it. I was waiting for the rest of the props to come out. I am not going to do it every time... I think I might add 1 or 2 on to my bets as "boosters". Instead of just Mckee @ -195 for 2u, I might do something like 2u on Mckee/Not Kim by submission just to add a few bucks to each play. I wa

But if I do a parlay this time, these are the plays that stick out:

Not Maynard by sub/not Kim by sub/not silva by submission/overeem -- that would get your Overeem bet from -490 all the way down to -255 with not much risk... but then again you would be pissed if Overeem wins and Silva submits Vera. Edgar is not going to submit Maynard either, and the odds are better there (but Edgar has been working hard on his jj so I don't know).

I might even do that... but I am a little worried about Overeem getting clipped tbh.
    Last edited by MMA_scientist; 12-30-2010 at 10:15 PM.

Overeem is gonna get clipped. He is not worth the odds IMO. He is the superior striker, but he has been KO'd too many times to bet him with these odds vs a powerful, athletic guy like Duffee.

My concern is that reem is used to having a massive physical advantage. Even though he has beaten powerful strikers in MMA recently (Hunt, CC, Rogers)... he is sort able to bully those guys around. Even in K! he was getting hit a lot, but he was just so much bigger and more powerful that it didn't matter. I am afraid Duffee is going to out-heart him.

That said, as much as Overeem has been KO'd... he never got KO'd by a wrestler with tits and love handles.

Overeem will probably hurt Duffee bad, but I can't see how it's worth the -500 or whatever. When Overeem gets hurt he gets finished.
    Triple-six killers in this motherfucker runnin shit

poopoo... also "not Gomi in rd 3"

not gomi in rd 3/not kim by sub/not edgar my sub/not silva by sub

That's probably what I will do

I think you give Duffee way too much credit. He is a big jacked dude that works at dairy queen. Overeem won the K1 WORLD GRAND PRIX.

Quote Originally Posted by zY| View Post
    Overeem will probably hurt Duffee bad, but I can't see how it's worth the -500 or whatever. When Overeem gets hurt he gets finished.
    agreed Overeem will win and probably easily. But with the KO chance (and it is extrapolated here because Duffee has a lot of KOs and Overeem has been KOd a lot) it just isn't worth it for me. If I am going to pay -500, the other guy has to have virtually no chance. I mean, Toney was only -600 to Couture.

poopoo... also "not Gomi in rd 3"

not gomi in rd 3/not kim by sub/not edgar my sub/not silva by sub

That's probably what I will do
    I was literally just looking at the props on 5dimes and thought "not Gomi in round 3" would be a great prop for one of those parlays. Weird.

Quote Originally Posted by edman5555 View Post
    I think you give Duffee way too much credit. He is a big jacked dude that works at dairy queen. Overeem won the K1 WORLD GRAND PRIX.
    True, but in MMA, Overeem has been KOd 6 times. And Dufee hits hard enough. Overeem is going to be more skilled, and he will win... but heavyweights swinging makes me nervous.

I liked it in the -300s but not @ -500

True, but in MMA, Overeem has been KOd 6 times.
    That's true, but he hasn't been KOd in MMA since 2007.
    I heart cock