Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst ... 234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Bellator 33

Re: Bellator 33

video of Askren and Shields training. I don't think I have been giving Shields enough credit, his technique is tight, and he handles Akren's superior wrestling really well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3r3FKntr ... r_embedded
    2012: +19.33
    2012 Parlay project: +16.5u

Quote Originally Posted by MMA_scientist
    video of Askren and Shields training. I don't think I have been giving Shields enough credit, his technique is tight, and he handles Akren's superior wrestling really well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3r3FKntr ... r_embedded
    Copycat.

Askren better win on thursdsay.

lol. I didn't even see you posted it.

Askren will win. He has a superior ground game and the means to get the fight to his realm. At this point, Askren has fought and beaten way better competition than Good as well. The only issue is whether Good will be able to catch Askren coming in or stand up repeatedly. I doubt it. This is the type of fight in need to bet and only this type of fight.

After another brutal week I am betting Askren and Hawn here. If I can't get anything going, I am mailing it in for a while. I am losing too much money. I have given back almost all of my 2010 gains. I only bet to win, if I am not winning, I quit. I am going to go back to playing notional bets for a while until I get my steam back.
    Notional bets?
    I heart cock

Quote Originally Posted by SPX
    After another brutal week I am betting Askren and Hawn here. If I can't get anything going, I am mailing it in for a while. I am losing too much money. I have given back almost all of my 2010 gains. I only bet to win, if I am not winning, I quit. I am going to go back to playing notional bets for a while until I get my steam back.
    Notional bets?
    Pretend bets.

I don't really need to do it, I just need to stop betting like a fucking asshole and get back to my game. Even the Kongo and Hathaway bets this weekend, they don't fit my criteria. Pyle surprised the shit out of me, but I can excuse that one because it was part of a parlay.

We should've won the Kongo bet, but whatever.

The Hathaway fight was a perfect example of why MMA is so hard to cap. I really thought Hathaway would run right through Pyle and if his line had been just a little better I would've taken him. It's crazy that he ended up getting to like -600 at some books.
    I heart cock

We should've won the Kongo bet, but whatever.

The Hathaway fight was a perfect example of why MMA is so hard to cap. I really thought Hathaway would run right through Pyle and if his line had been just a little better I would've taken him. It's crazy that he ended up getting to like -600 at some books.
    I would not have bet him straight up, but I had him as part of my locks parlay. I just didn't see any way that Pyle was going to get him down and keep it there. Pyle came out with improved takedowns and just shut him down. He was doing better than I imagined he would in the stand up exchanges too.

I really think we are starting to see another shift in mma. At first we had bjj. Then wrestlers came in and figured out how to stop the triangle. Then strikers figured out how to stop the takedowns. We have been in the "wrestlers that can strike" phase for a while... now I think we are seeing non "wrestlers" round out thier games a little bit with takedowns and standing up. If everybody can do a little of everything, it is going to make it hard as hell to cap.

I really think we are starting to see another shift in mma. At first we had bjj. Then wrestlers came in and figured out how to stop the triangle. Then strikers figured out how to stop the takedowns. We have been in the "wrestlers that can strike" phase for a while... now I think we are seeing non "wrestlers" round out thier games a little bit with takedowns and standing up. If everybody can do a little of everything, it is going to make it hard as hell to cap.
    Yeah, I think you're right. If nothing else we're definitely seeing a general move toward well-roundedness among more fighters.

I wonder if the time will come when EVERYONE is well-rounded or if there will always be guys who are REALLY good at one particular skills while lacking in others (wrestlers and BJJ guys who can't strike, strikers who have no ground game, etc.).
    I heart cock

I think there will always be guys that are dominant in one area, and those guys will continue to be the best fighters, IMO. Being a great striker requires a different athletic skill set than being a great wrestler. But it is the in-between skills that are getting better. But the best guys are still the guys that can force their games on the other guy.

Rick Hawn is a beast. He was scheduled to fight Braulio Estima on the Shine card that got cancelled in Florida this summer. He is an olympic judoka that has massive KO power in his hands. His line has dropped a lot, as I think people finally got around to looking at who who is and who he is fighting. I bet him at the early line, but I wish I would not have done that dumbass parlay.

Honestly I don't think it's so much a shift as it is really just a hard look at reality where a few up and comers were concerned. Dunham, Escudero, Hathaway, Pearson, Bader even. Guys who seemingly had no ceiling even for the immediate. I think many of us, Myself included, put way too much stock in these younger guys that we forgot that there is truly no such thing as a "gimme" in this sport. I didn't think Hathaway would lose either, but I think everyone overlooked the fact that Pyle is a crafty veteran of 11 years in the sport who knew some shit. Hype is a powerful, yet dangerous concept for bettors.
    2013: +8.24u(increased unit size on 5/19)
    Favorites: 20-6 + 6.13u
    Underdogs: 10-19 -2.51u
    Ludo's Locks Parlay Project: +1.4u

2012: +20.311u

yeah, I wasn't totally sold on Hathaway as the next big thing... but Pyle is sort of a journeyman. I have always viewed him as a dangerous guard player with crappy takedowns and mediocre hands. Hathaway was able to stuff Story and Sanchez, I just didn't think Pyle had beter takedowns than both of them. And I guess I underestimated his hands or overestimated Hathaway's. Which I guess is the point...

Fuck my Life. This shit is in Philly, and aint even on TV. I cant go tonight, I got too much shit going on.

Feelsbadman.jpg
    Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

For once it is actually on @ 7pm on Fox at my place. Good thing because this is probably their best card.

For once it is actually on @ 7pm on Fox at my place. Good thing because this is probably their best card.
    It starts here @ 9 EST. Is that live?

Quote Originally Posted by poopoo333
    It starts here @ 9 EST. Is that live?
    Maybe it is on at 8pm. I am on CST. Either way, it is actually on during waking hours... usually it gets trumped by cardinals baseball here. I have like 2 weeks of breathing room before it startes getting trumped ny college basketball

So is everyone just riding the bandwagon on Askren or is he really that much of a sure thing?
    I heart cock

So is everyone just riding the bandwagon on Askren or is he really that much of a sure thing?
    He's going to lose. (avoiding the IWS curse)
    Triple-six killers in this motherfucker runnin shit

With the IWS curse, Askren will probably be outwrestled and lose a decision.

i see it the same way i see every striker/grappler mathup. the grappler is goig to win if he has the tools to get the fight down and keep it there. Askren does, so he will win every fight until he faces someone who can stop his takedowns or beat him on the mat.

If he loses it is because Good can stuff his takedowns.

As i see it, Askren has a big edge on the mat, and he can get it there. So Good will have to cath him coming in, which rarely happens. It is an easy bet for me.