Re: UFN 23/Fight for the Troops

When is this?
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Quote Originally Posted by Luke
    When is this?
    Jan 22nd

Dunham vs Florian is a very interesting fight. I think it is Dunham's fight to lose. I feel if dunham uses his wrestling and grappling skills he will win but if it stays standing florian will possibly win a decision.

Quote Originally Posted by ManBoobKilla
    Dunham vs Florian is a very interesting fight. I think it is Dunham's fight to lose. I feel if dunham uses his wrestling and grappling skills he will win but if it stays standing florian will possibly win a decision.
    I agree that Florian has a tough fight ahead of him on this one. Florian obviously can't out-wrestle him like Sherk did (for at least a round) and I actually am not even sure how the striking will go.

I'm on Dunham at dog odds, if I can get them.

Jesus Christ, how far we have strayed from "Florian is the best fighter at LW not named BJ Penn."
    I heart cock

I think the Florian thing comes from the fact that he had the absolute worst gameplan ever against a guy like Maynard. He seems to have this aversion to fighting his fight when it matters most. He's constantly trying these "one and done" type plans for certain opponents. Plus he's getting older now and if he doesn't have the wrestling at this point he's not going to get it before it's too late to do anything meaningful with it. Honestly I can see him winning this fight, but I'm having a hard time finding a clear cut path to victory for him.

Dunham will be hard to knock out, I don't think Florian can submit him unless he rocks him something fierce right before he goes for it, and Florian won't have his normal significant reach advantage. On the ground even if Dunham does end up on the bottom I think he can scramble back up seeing as he did it against Sherk a few times.
    2013: +8.24u(increased unit size on 5/19)
    Favorites: 20-6 + 6.13u
    Underdogs: 10-19 -2.51u
    Ludo's Locks Parlay Project: +1.4u

2012: +20.311u

Quote Originally Posted by SPX
    Jesus Christ, how far we have strayed from "Florian is the best fighter at LW not named BJ Penn."

I dont know but I find it funny how quick everyone counts someone out and flips on them.

Before the Manyard fight almost everyone was sure he'd beat Maynard now almost everyone's sure he'll lose to Duhnam . I think you have to look at more than just one fight when deciding things.
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

I dont know but I find it funny how quick everyone counts someone out and flips on them.

Before the Manyard fight almost everyone was sure he'd beat Maynard now almost everyone's sure he'll lose to Duhnam . I think you have to look at more than just one fight when deciding things.
    I think the Guida fight made me believe in Kenny's wrestling and the Diaz and Huerta fights made me question Maynard's (if not his ability, at least his resolve to use it).
    I heart cock

I don't think florian used a bad gameplan against Gray. Gray was just a much better wrestler and there wasn't much Kenny could do to avoid getting taken down. Dunham is nowhere near the wrestler Gray is, I think Kenny beats Dunham.
    1 unit = 300 $

He absolutely used a bad gameplan against Maynard. All he talked about was letting his hands go at every opportunity and he didn't do it. He just waited for the shot and found out he couldn't stop it, but didn't do anything different in the next two rounds. He gets like that in these high pressure situations. He fought like shit against Sherk, he fought like shit against BJ, and he fought like shit against Maynard. All three instances involved Kenny Florian fighting like someone other than Kenny Florian.

I agree that Florian didn't have a great gameplan, but it didn't ultimately matter, he just wasn't going to win that fight. His takedown defense was good enough for Guida, but not enough for Maynard.

I guess Kenny's destined to be that dude who's always hovering right there around the title, but never is actually able to get it.
    I heart cock

Kenny wasn't letting his hands go against Maynard because that would increase his chances of getting taken down. Coming up with gameplans to beat Sherk, BJ Penn, and Gray Maynard is a lot easier said than done. They are some of the top guys at LW.
    1 unit = 300 $

Im betting against kenny until he wins one, and if they keep putting him against the top up and comers like dunham/maynard he is going to lose a lot. LW division is way more talented now then when BJ was champ.

Quote Originally Posted by Havis Jr
    Im betting against kenny until he wins one, and if they keep putting him against the top up and comers like dunham/maynard he is going to lose a lot. LW division is way more talented now then when BJ was champ.
    What top LW fighters are in the UFC now that weren't there when BJ was champ?
    I heart cock

Quote Originally Posted by SPX
    Quote Originally Posted by Havis Jr
    What top LW fighters are in the UFC now that weren't there when BJ was champ?

2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Kenny has very good striking, very good bjj and good wrestling. Kenny doesn't lose to Dunham. Dunhams wrestling isn't that good and his striking is not on Kenny's level. He will be forced to stand with Kenny and he will get picked apart.
    1 unit = 300 $

Not sure of the meaning of this. . .
    I heart cock

Quote Originally Posted by edman5555
    Kenny wasn't letting his hands go against Maynard because that would increase his chances of getting taken down. Coming up with gameplans to beat Sherk, BJ Penn, and Gray Maynard is a lot easier said than done. They are some of the top guys at LW.

Thats My point though. His greatest tool is his ability to strike and set up a finish that way. No hands = no win for Kenny Florian. You'll never see him in a great ground war because his ground game isn't designed that way. He uses his ground game as a means to an end after he's sufficiently rocked his opponent or knocked them down to gain advantageous top position. For him not to throw his hands against Maynard was suicide. He wasn't stopping those takedowns anyway, he might as well go balls out and hope for the best because he's going to end up on his back anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by LudoCain
    He wasn't stopping those takedowns anyway, he might as well go balls out and hope for the best because he's going to end up on his back anyway.
    Probably so. He obviously needed to do something different than what he was doing. It was a profoundly frustrating fight for me to watch as I realized almost immediately that I had just wasted 3u.
    I heart cock