Thread: Assault in the Ring

Assault in the Ring

The documentary examines a boxing match that took place between undefeated prospect Billy Collins Jr and Luis Resto. The fight was on the undercard for a bout between Roberto DurĂ¡n and Davey Moore. Resto unexpectedly beat the highly touted Collins in a 10-round unanimous decision; however, after the fight, Resto's gloves are found to be missing a significant amount of padding, an illegal tampering which allowed Resto to inflict greater damage on Collins during the fight. What began as a boxing match turned into a life altering moment for both participants - Collins' career dreams ended and Resto and his trainer Panama Lewis landed in prison for their illegal actions. The subsequent investigation and trial have led many to declare this bout the darkest day in boxing history.

Watched this documentary today . I thought it was really good . It picks up 25+ years after the event happened . Very good interviews with the boxer and trainer involved and how the boxer suffered much more than the trainer.A very good watch imo. Here are links if anyone is interested .Its around 80 minutes

part 1

[youtube:3pf83o4f]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP2z6yrQFSo[/youtube:3pf83o4f]

part 2

[youtube:3pf83o4f]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj0kgZDYmXs[/youtube:3pf83o4f]

part 3

[youtube:3pf83o4f]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYun-MUQpXw[/youtube:3pf83o4f]

part 4

[youtube:3pf83o4f]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5ruF569eV8[/youtube:3pf83o4f]

part 5

[youtube:3pf83o4f]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_qm7qA3WA4[/youtube:3pf83o4f]

part 6

[youtube:3pf83o4f]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iy34gqwZgfM[/youtube:3pf83o4f]

part 7

[youtube:3pf83o4f]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHRWNsH6Em8[/youtube:3pf83o4f]

part 8

[youtube:3pf83o4f]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5__m6u5pqW4[/youtube:3pf83o4f]
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Re: Assault in the Ring

I always like a good documentary. I'll check this out for sure.
    I heart cock

Quote Originally Posted by SPX
    I always like a good documentary. I'll check this out for sure.

i'm not much for documentaries but I liked this one
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Quote Originally Posted by Luke
    i'm not much for documentaries but I liked this one
    I'm about to watch it right now.
    I heart cock

I had heard this story awhile back and then I watched this documentary, but can't remember where. Maybe HBO? It's incredibly well done. Definitely going to watch again. Thanks Luke.
    2011 YTD: (Revised 1/11/11)

NFL ATS: 1-2 -1.2 units
    NFL ML: 1-0, +1.1 units
    NFL Teaser: 0-1, -3.0 units

NBA ATS: 0-1, -1.1 units

YTD: -4.2 units

That was a pretty bad ass documentary. Collins should've told his dad to fuck off and resumed his fighting career. Resto seems sincerely remorseful. Panama seems like a fucking snake, just like Don King.
    I heart cock

I watched this on HBO a while back. A real fucked up story. feelsbadman.jpg
    Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

That was a pretty bad ass documentary. Collins should've told his dad to fuck off and resumed his fighting career. Resto seems sincerely remorseful. Panama seems like a fucking snake, just like Don King.
    Resto got screwed the most for sure . He's been broke the rest of his life and that fight ruined his life and career. He feels bad for what happened but doesnt seem to know how to get past it even 25+ years later. I really feel bad for him
    Panama is still making money training fighters(even if he isnt allowed in their corners). Like you said he's a snake and still could be teaching fighters to cheat.

Collins dad is a jackass and he's really at fault for his son dying . All he wanted was to sue someone to get rich , I hate people like that. Even if you have any doubt he was all about money he proved he was by starting another lawsuit at the end .

I dont like documentaries usually but someone pointed this out to me so I thought I'd share it

Glad you liked it
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

I might watch this later but probably I won't because I'll never get around to it.

And how can you not like documentaries? They're like books that you don't have to read.
    Triple-six killers in this motherfucker runnin shit

Collins dad is a jackass and he's really at fault for his son dying . All he wanted was to sue someone to get rich , I hate people like that.
    +1

Dude is basically crying on the guys porch just to say he is sorry, and that jerkoff is calling the cops on him. Kinda fucked up.

Resto still looks like he is in good shape too.

I was surprised that anyone actually went to jail. It seemed like this would be something that would be handled entirely in the sport--i.e. getting banned--and not by criminal courts.

Also, I wonder if the gloves would have ever been inspected if Collins' dad had not noticed that something was up.
    I heart cock

Also, I wonder if the gloves would have ever been inspected if Collins' dad had not noticed that something was up.

I doubt anything would have ever happened had his dad not noticed at the last second.
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

I was surprised that anyone actually went to jail. It seemed like this would be something that would be handled entirely in the sport--i.e. getting banned--and not by criminal courts.

Thats assault man . Had Margarito went into the ring with Mosley and been caught after the fight instead of before he would have went to jail also.
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Quote Originally Posted by IWS Zak
    +1

Dude is basically crying on the guys porch just to say he is sorry, and that jerkoff is calling the cops on him. Kinda fucked up.

Resto still looks like he is in good shape too.

Resto has been dwelling on this for 25+ years and just wanted to put it behind him and Collins dad is a jerkoff.

Its not like Resto killed his kid ,he beat him up bad. I would think 25 years later I'd forgive someone that beat up my kid . I think the dad knows he's a lot to blame for his kids death and its easier for him to keep blaming Resto
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Thats assault man . Had Margarito went into the ring with Mosley and been caught after the fight instead of before he would have went to jail also.
    It is assault, but I'm often surprised about what gets ignored when it happens in sports. Stuff like Seymour punching Roethlisberger and Daley hitting Koscheck never get pursued in the criminal courts.

Quote Originally Posted by Svino

It is assault, but I'm often surprised about what gets ignored when it happens in sports. Stuff like Seymour punching Roethlisberger and Daley hitting Koscheck never get pursued in the criminal courts.
    Or the Machida/Rampage decision. That is fuckin grand theft house nigga right there.