Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2345678914 ... LastLast

Thread: Strikeforce's 2011 Heavyweight Grand-Prix

Fedor vs. Reem? Fedor -200 or so?

Depends on how they look in their respective first-round fights. I also think the odds on Fedor/Silva are too steep considering Fedor's long layoff. Silva's pretty good.

I think they would be closer. I'm not sure how the public would bet it though. Who would the money come in on?

Quote Originally Posted by edman5555 View Post
    I think they would be closer. I'm not sure how the public would bet it though. Who would the money come in on?
    I agree with svino I was thinking Fedor -175 to -200. As for who would money come in on that all depends how these first rounds fights go because most peoples minds only remember a fighters last fight. If Fedor wins a sloppy 3 round decision and Overeem wins in 30 seconds then all the money will probably come in on Reem. If Fedor KO's Silva and Overeem struggles with Werdum then money probably comes in on Fedor
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

I don't see how Silva can beat Fedor. Fedor has way better hands and Silva is not going to submit him... MAYBE he could win a round via top control if he could take Fefor down, which I doubt. Silva also gasses badly. Fedor is going to beat Silva.

I might take Werdum to be AO at those odds. Werdum has already shown he has enough to submit him (I know I know, it was 4 years ago). The question is whether Werdum can get him down... I might be willing to bet that +210

I was hopng Barnett would closer. I though it he might be like -150... guess I was wrong. I think the lines will move considerably in some of these fights so I am going to do nothing right now.

Barnett probably still has value @-300

Both look like well set lines to me. Barnett might have value, but who knows, the guy hasn't fought in 5000 years. Werdum at +210 might not be bad either, but every time I tell myself that my brain visualizes him trying to get past Alistair's offense to get a takedown and it's hilarious.
    Triple-six killers in this motherfucker runnin shit

Quote Originally Posted by zY| View Post
    Both look like well set lines to me. Barnett might have value, but who knows, the guy hasn't fought in 5000 years. Werdum at +210 might not be bad either, but every time I tell myself that my brain visualizes him trying to get past Alistair's offense to get a takedown and it's hilarious.
    It does seem sort of impossible... but Werdum has been running all over town telling everyone he has developed a "new" guard for mma (like most things, it is just a system built off of regular guard play) that allows him to play guard infinitely without every getting hit. It is basically a twist on the overhook posture control that most high level guys use... but Werdum did some him from his back once before. It really was not THAT long ago. He is also saying that he purposely fell back so that Fedor would come into his guard (which I in no way believe).

I think Werdum could probably play guard and not take a lot of damage against most guys though, just because he is high level and most of those guys know how to control posture well enough that you can't really hit them. The problem is getting someone to agree to go down there and fight him. But Overeem's takedown defense has never been super amazing. Overeem really hasn't beaten that many good fighters. Since he lost to Werdum in 2006, he really hasn't beaten anyone except Rogers. Also, he has lost to a lot of grapplers. Not saying Werdum is going to win, but Overeem's hype is built on a bed of lies.

But Werdum gets smashed in every fight. Fedor hit him right off the bat, BigFoot almost finished him in the first round, and before that he was faceplanting vs dos Santos. I can't imagine Overeem not just going absolutely buckwild on Werdum's corpse if he manages to hurt him.

Seriously, what is Overeem's best win ever in MMA? I think it is Rogers. Other than that, maybe Sergei (who beat him later)... Belfort I guess, but he is a MW. Really, bottom line, Overeem really has not beaten very many good fighters. Werdum would be the very best guy Overeem has ever defeated by a mile.

Quote Originally Posted by MMA_scientist View Post
    It does seem sort of impossible... but Werdum has been running all over town telling everyone he has developed a "new" guard for mma (like most things, it is just a system built off of regular guard play) that allows him to play guard infinitely without every getting hit. It is basically a twist on the overhook posture control that most high level guys use... but Werdum did some him from his back once before. It really was not THAT long ago. He is also saying that he purposely fell back so that Fedor would come into his guard (which I in no way believe).

I think Werdum could probably play guard and not take a lot of damage against most guys though, just because he is high level and most of those guys know how to control posture well enough that you can't really hit them. The problem is getting someone to agree to go down there and fight him. But Overeem's takedown defense has never been super amazing. Overeem really hasn't beaten that many good fighters. Since he lost to Werdum in 2006, he really hasn't beaten anyone except Rogers. Also, he has lost to a lot of grapplers. Not saying Werdum is going to win, but Overeem's hype is built on a bed of lies.
    I buy the falling down on purpose thing, I actually thought it after it happened. I don't think he got rocked that hard did he? I'd have to watch it agin, I saw it as it happened which was very quick.

3.22u on Reem to win 1.5u

I just dont see how Werdum is going to get it to the floor. When he bails out and hits the deck when Overeem throws, I really doubt he follows Werdum to the mat, especially after seeing what happened to Fedor.

That nigga will be gettin his butt scoot on for most of the fight.
    Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IWS Zak View Post
    I just dont see how Werdum is going to get it to the floor. When he bails out and hits the deck when Overeem throws, I really doubt he follows Werdum to the mat, especially after seeing what happened to Fedor.

That nigga will be gettin his butt scoot on for most of the fight.

I agree Overeem aint following him to the floor
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Just saying, Overeem's overall MMA skill is overrated. He has been beating up on guys that aren't even top 20, with the exception of Rogers. And in his entire career, he only has a couple of wins over top 20 opponents, and Rogers is his sole top 10 win ever (but Rogers was a flukey top 10 IMO).

I think Overeem will win, don't get me wrong. But I wouldn't be surprised to see Werdum take him down at all. Rogers and Duffee just went out and traded with him... Werdum, Fedor, Barnett... those guys are not just going to stand in front of him and trade shots.

I won't be shocked to see Overeem go out and finish Werdum in 30 seconds either, but IMO, he either finishes it quick or it is a close fight.

Quote Originally Posted by MMA_scientist View Post
    Overeem's overall MMA skill is overrated.
    I agree.
    Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

His overall MMA skill is overrated. Your right, but his wrestling/grappling are decent enough. When you combine decent wrestling and grappling with great striking and tremendous size you get a good MMA fighter.

Overeem has a legit shot at beating any Heavyweight he fights. Plenty of guys have that same legit shot at beating him.

For sure, he is good. He has won more fights via submission than via strikes fwiw. But people who are just now becoming aware of him think he is an unstoppable monster. He isn't, he has just been fighting shitty fighters for several years in a row without a real challenge.

I think he is definitely top 10 though. I don't think he is bad by any means... but people talk about him like Fedor would be an easy fight for him, which is just sort of ridiculous.

Not easy but I favor him. I'll break down why. I think the fight will be decided in the standup. Fedor is good with takedowns but Overeem doesn't seem to be bad at defending them though I admit I haven't watched a lot of his fights. I think his size alone will be enough to throw Fedor off of him. Fedor is a pudgy 230. Overeem is a enormously jacked roided up 260 pounds. On top of that, even if Fedor can get it to the ground Reem is competent enough to avoid the sub and stand. Standing, Overeem should have the advantage. Superior reach, strength and striking skill.

I think we'll have a much better idea of how Overeem and Fedor match up after watching their respective first round fights. Fedor fights so infrequently and Overeem hasn't fought a top fighter in 5000 years.