Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Strikeforce: Diaz vs. Cyborg - Jan 29th

^^I kind of regret the bet already. I think Coy's fight with Woodley influenced my decision too much

He did do very well against Woodley. He was beating him in the standup.

I had money on Coy in that fight. It was very very close. I can't really say who I think will win or lose because I don't know much about Nate except he is a good wrestler and he trains at AKA.

Quote Originally Posted by edman5555 View Post
    I bet Roger for a few reasons. I am an action junkie for one. Also there are a few things about Prangley that make me think Roger can beat him. He is similar to Kevin Randleman in a lot of ways: height, age, wrestling background. He has also never really beaten anyone that good. I was weighing his win over Jardine a little too much before. He's getting old and he was never that good to begin with. His base is wrestling which is more or less a form of grappling and Rogers the best grappler in the world. Also how is Prangley going to push the action standing? He has to get inside to connect..if he commits to hard he could end up on the ground. That should make it easier for Roger to outpoint him. If it goes to the ground at all there is a very good chance he gets subbed or at least controlled for the remainder of the round(helps with points).

Another thing I noticed was Roger has actually been competing in MMA since 2006. He is obv green but he might have a little more knowledge than he would if he had all three of his fights in 1 year.
    I pretty much agree on all parts. Do you guys think Gracie will be able to take Prangley down? Gracie never really actually took Randleman down, he dropped him with a knee. It's hard to pass up a bet on Gracie @-135 though...he is so dominant in grappling. I am just worried he is going to get bombed out on the feet, or be unable to get Prangley down at all.

Well I don't think he absolutely has to take him down to win. He did drop Randleman with a knee, outside of that he was outpointing him on the feet. He may be able to do that to Prangley, I consider the standup a toss up now that I think about it. Prangley has exp, but Roger has reach. Prangley has to be worried about committing because he can't let Roger get ahold of him. He also can't just sit on the outside or he will get outstruck by Rogers big ass reach. It's a tough fight to call which is why I am not making a large bet on it.

^ i do not think Roger will be able to get him down easily, but I think he will get it there eventually, either by Prangley overestimating his ability to control Roger or by frustration with Roger's reach. Prangley's wrestling is not on Randleman's level though, fwiw. He was an AA, but he was never a wrestler like Randleman. Roger has good takedowns though, and he did take get Randleman down briefly in Rd. 1 IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    Thats alot poopoo ,appreciate you finding that

Watching that fight just made me pass on the Prangley-Gracie fight
    just out of curiosity, what did you see that made you pass?

On one hand, Roger is slow and didn't land shit. On the other hand, he did not take a single shot in the entire fight (Mauro made a big deal about the body shot, but it didn't look that clean to me). Then as soon as Roger starting pushing forward on the feet, he started whupping on him. I am banking that Roger's striking is more like what we saw in rd 2 when he looked like he was actually going to fight...

I don't know. It is sort of a wild card, because there is not much to judge him on. I guess it is a fan bet from me honestly, though I do think he will win. I guess the fact that I think Prangley might be worth a bet probably means I should have passed too...

Quote Originally Posted by MMA_scientist View Post
    just out of curiosity, what did you see that made you pass?

On one hand, Roger is slow and didn't land shit. On the other hand, he did not take a single shot in the entire fight (Mauro made a big deal about the body shot, but it didn't look that clean to me). Then as soon as Roger starting pushing forward on the feet, he started whupping on him. I am banking that Roger's striking is more like what we saw in rd 2 when he looked like he was actually going to fight...

I don't know. It is sort of a wild card, because there is not much to judge him on. I guess it is a fan bet from me honestly, though I do think he will win. I guess the fact that I think Prangley might be worth a bet probably means I should have passed too...

From what I heard/read I had the thought in my head that Roger just dominated Randleman in the fight (I had never seen the fight before because thats when I was in Vegas so I was just going off what I had read) When I actually saw the fight I wasnt as impressed as I thought I was going to be . Roger's striking is a little worse than I expected and I was expecting to see him takedown Randleman and submit him and he didnt take him down it was a knee that put him to the floor.If he had taken Randleman down and submitted him there wouldnt be much doubt he could do the same to Prangley. I still expect Roger to win and he may do so easily but I'd rather just sit and watch .I'm trying to be more picky about what I bet
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

wild card is correct. It's been 8.5 months since Rogers last fight so let's hope he has spent that time improving.

UFC welterweight champion Georges Saint-Pierre has already been to London twice to train with Roger Gracie, who is getting ready for his fourth MMA bout this coming weekend.

As reported by Jack Encarnação on Sherdog.com, GSP (21w, 2l) was stopping through London in 2010 when he figured he would stop by Roger’s academy to test himself.

“I got my ass kicked pretty bad,” he said, deciding to stay on awhile an train some with Roger for his last fight, his second unanimous decision win over Josh Koscheck.

In 2011, the Canadian returned to help Roger (3w, 0l) train for his Strikeforce fight against Trevor Prangley.

“Roger is really good at taking the fight where he wants it – to the ground. He’s much better than people think. He’s not just a Jiu-Jitsu guy. Roger is a true MMA fighter,” said GSP in praise.

Besides wrestling with GSP in London, Roger also sharpened up his boxing skills with local trainer Clay O’Shea and got pointers from undefeated veteran Joe Calzaghe.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    From what I heard/read I had the thought in my head that Roger just dominated Randleman in the fight (I had never seen the fight before because thats when I was in Vegas so I was just going off what I had read) When I actually saw the fight I wasnt as impressed as I thought I was going to be . Roger's striking is a little worse than I expected and I was expecting to see him takedown Randleman and submit him and he didnt take him down it was a knee that put him to the floor.If he had taken Randleman down and submitted him there wouldnt be much doubt he could do the same to Prangley. I still expect Roger to win and he may do so easily but I'd rather just sit and watch .I'm trying to be more picky about what I bet
    I think Roger was more in control in that fight than we think. After Roger starting tagging him, Randleman tried to take him down, and Roger stuffed it. You could see a definite difference when Roger starting pouring it on. Why did he stuff a takedown? He likes to be on top yes, but a sweep would have been easier. I think he is just cautious and was waiting to find a hole to exploit. That is how he is... he finds a hole and then kills you. If you watch his grappling matches, he is a genius on the mat, and I don't mean it in hyperbole. The fight match will look somewhat even, then he finds a hole, and then next thing you see is Roger in mount choking a guy. I think he is just extremely cerebral about his approach to grappling and MMA. But a lot of his grappling matches look the same way... he doesn't look like he is dominating, then he starts crushing.

But I totally admit that Roger is my hero. So that could be clouding me quite a bit.

This Jacarae/Lawler fight reminds me of the Lawler/Shields fight except..........

Jacarae has better JJ, standup, and is a bigger fighter then Shields was. Seems to me more and more, that Jacarae is the play here.
    Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by MMA_scientist View Post
    I think Roger was more in control in that fight than we think. After Roger starting tagging him, Randleman tried to take him down, and Roger stuffed it. You could see a definite difference when Roger starting pouring it on. Why did he stuff a takedown? He likes to be on top yes, but a sweep would have been easier. I think he is just cautious and was waiting to find a hole to exploit. That is how he is... he finds a hole and then kills you. If you watch his grappling matches, he is a genius on the mat, and I don't mean it in hyperbole. The fight match will look somewhat even, then he finds a hole, and then next thing you see is Roger in mount choking a guy. I think he is just extremely cerebral about his approach to grappling and MMA. But a lot of his grappling matches look the same way... he doesn't look like he is dominating, then he starts crushing.

But I totally admit that Roger is my hero. So that could be clouding me quite a bit.

You're probably right , Gracie will probably win easily I'm just chicken
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Quote Originally Posted by IWS Zak View Post
    This Jacarae/Lawler fight reminds me of the Lawler/Shields fight except..........

Jacarae has better JJ, standup, and is a bigger fighter then Shields was. Seems to me more and more, that Jacarae is the play here.
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by edman5555 View Post
    I agree.
    That is what I thought too. My concern is that Shields probably does have better takedowns than Jacare (or at least he is more persistent), and he was unable to get Lawler down. He had to jump guard into a guillotine. Jacare's servicable standup makes him more likely to use it. Shields is 100% committed to the takedown. If Jacare gets stuffed a few times, he will probably just say screw it and bang it out.

You really think so? Jacare seemed like he had good takedowns in the fights that I have seen him in. I should probably watch more tape. He is also a lot bigger and stronger than Jake. He seems pretty brutish also.

He is a much higher level athlete than Shields, he is faster and more powerful... but he got stuffed on several takedowns against Kennedy. He also could not get Mayhem to the ground in their second fight (which Shields did quite easily). Shields knows his only way to win the fight is by takedown, and he never gives up on it. When Jacare has gotten stuffed in the past, he just starts striking. The good news is that he may very well win the striking. But I just think Lawler could very possibly force a standup fight and win it. I hope not, and Jacare should obviously be favored though.

I just read the play by play for the souza kennedy fight and it was very close first of all. Second, I don't think Souza took many shots, though he did get stuffed when he did.

^ that's what I am saying. He WILLINGLY stood the whole fight when he couldn't get the takedown. I am concerned he will do the same thing with Lawler.