Page 37 of 38 FirstFirst ... 27323334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: Ufc 130

Quote Originally Posted by MMA_scientist View Post
    "Sorry guys, I fucked up and let the judges decide my fate. Johnson did a good job and had a great game plan... Rewatched my fight, think I won based on effective attacks, sweeps & position control... Thanks to Sherdog, Heavy, Bloody Elbow, & MMAJunkie for scoring the fight in my favor. Bad judging can't hold me down, I will be back." -Miguel Torres, Johnson was just defending all through out, I still think Torres should've won.

"Sherdog(all 3 Judges) Bloody Elbow, Heavymma and MMA rising all gave the fight to Miguel Torres. What did you guys think? ...Over 2500 people voted on who they think won between Torres and Johnson. 77% say Torres... Its a shame the judges don't seem to understand the ground game." -Firas Zahabi, Yep. They should learn that being on top is an advantage in a sense that it is easier to score points, but it doesn't really mean that you already are.
    We know judges give rds to the guy on top all the time so I don't know what else to say.MMA judges blow and always have but we do know they give rds to the guy being agressive and missing than to the guy backing up and connecting on punches , we also know they will give rds to the guy on top rather than the guy actually doing work. Its not right but that's how things are, I've been burned myself plenty of times the same way
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

I don't like it when journalists call fights according to their own criteria as opposed to how the fights are actually going to be scored. What the Sherdog guys do on their site isn't judging, it's activism. I may agree with them on preferences, but you've gotta judge the sport that exists, not the one you wish existed.

Well to be fair, if they're judging via the actual criteria that's in place, then I don't see what the problem is.
    I heart cock

Quote Originally Posted by SPX View Post
    Well to be fair, if they're judging via the actual criteria that's in place, then I don't see what the problem is.
    I think the criteria as simply stated in words is open to so wide an interpretation that the only way to understand how MMA fights are truly judged is to go by actual experience.

I agree that it's open to interpretation and subjective judgment.
    I heart cock

Quote Originally Posted by Svino View Post
    I think the criteria as simply stated in words is open to so wide an interpretation that the only way to understand how MMA fights are truly judged is to go by actual experience.
    I don't think that is correct. The good judges (Blatnick) have always scored fights correctly. We can't let guys like Cecil Peeples set a precedence that has to be followed. The law is what it is... it is the job of the individual judge to apply the law to the facts. The rules don't give a preference to top position, just because it is consistently applied incorrectly, doesn't mean that it "creates law" that must be followed. The site journalists sadly know much more about MMA than most of the judges. The problem is that we just need some judges that know what they are looking at.

As Luke mentioned, it happens in striking battles too (Sanchez/Kampmann, anything involving Garcia)... aggression is a criteria (zY will be in shortly to tell us all the actual criteria), but it should not outweight actual effective striking. Also, taking a guy down and holding him is like the opposite of aggression, it is stalling. It is not effective grappling, it is a big nothing. I think they should get credit for the takedown just for dictating where it will go (but no more credit than a guard pull unless it does some damage). After that, you get nothing for just being on top.

As I said on fight night, DJ did pass guard, and much of the time he was working on guard passing. In fact, if it was a grappling match, DJ would have won by a large margin. I am not blaming him... It just pisses me off because it is so wrong and easily mended.
    2012: +19.33
    2012 Parlay project: +16.5u

Quote Originally Posted by MMA_scientist View Post
    In fact, if it was a grappling match, DJ would have won by a large margin.
    UFC 130 Aftermath: Johnson vs Torres Under Submission Grappling Scoring

Thanks I hadn't seen that. I thought it would be a wider margin, but I was thinking there were more takedowns. I take issue with half guard being a positional advance though... a lot of guys sweep better from half guard (not torres) and half guard is hard to define. Some buterfly could be considered a half guard...

That said, you can't score MMA like a grappling match. The match would have been totally different under grappling rules... for one, Torres would have pulled guard most likely and negated the points for the takedown. For two, Torres would not have had such urgency to escape and thus probably would not have been passed. He really was not so much passed as his submission attempt got thrown off. Torres would beat DJ in a grappling match, no question. BUt this is MMA. I was just making the point that DJ was trying to advance his position, unlike a lot of guys on top.

Jon Jones is apparently close to making his return to action to defend his light heavyweight title for the first time, as he may be penciled in to battle Quinton Jackson at the upcoming UFC 135 event, which is currently rumored for Sept. 24 at the Pepsi Center in Denver, Colorado.
    A source close to one of the fight camps alerted MMAmania.com to the news earlier today, but stressed that obstacles exist. Jones, who is still resting a hand injury, must first be cleared by his physician before getting the green light to compete.
    The same goes for "Rampage," who was recently medically suspended until June 28 but could stretch as far as Nov. 25 unless he gets clearance from an orthopedic doctor.

Is anybody giving Rampage a chance?

A hard puncher like Rampage always has a chance . . . probably not much of one, though.
    I heart cock

Yeah I think Jones is going to destroy him. I would like to see Rampage win though

I honestly think that if anyone is going to beat Jones in the near future, it will be Machida.
    I heart cock

Quote Originally Posted by SPX View Post
    I honestly think that if anyone is going to beat Jones in the near future, it will be Machida.
    I agree.
    Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

I think Rampage would definitely have a chance. No man is that much better than other men... Jones will evetually look human. I don't know if Rampage is the guy to do it or not, but it won't be long, it never is. Putting together a long win streak or multiple title defenses is as much about intangibles as talent IMO. The guys that have done it, Anderson Silva, Hughes, Fedor- they have all had moments where they were deeply in trouble and then just pull out a win out of nowhere. Only GSP has had multiple defenses without any adversity, but then again, this is his 2nd run as champion, he fell prey just like everyone else the first time. I would take the under on Jones defending more than 3 times though.

Anyway, Rampage has good but not great takedown defense. He stands up pretty well. Jones is a clear and commanding favorite, but Rampage can definitely win. I think Machida would be a tougher fight for Jones though.

Quote Originally Posted by poopoo333 View Post
    Is anybody giving Rampage a chance?
    I think he has a chance. I wanna see what Jones looks like when the guy he is fighting doesnt mentally break, and when he gets into the later rounds. This should be a good fight IMO, but If I were to bet it, I would probably still take Jones.
    Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by poopoo333 View Post
    Jon Jones is apparently close to making his return to action to defend his light heavyweight title for the first time, as he may be penciled in to battle Quinton Jackson at the upcoming UFC 135 event, which is currently rumored for Sept. 24 at the Pepsi Center in Denver, Colorado.
    A source close to one of the fight camps alerted MMAmania.com to the news earlier today, but stressed that obstacles exist. Jones, who is still resting a hand injury, must first be cleared by his physician before getting the green light to compete.
    The same goes for "Rampage," who was recently medically suspended until June 28 but could stretch as far as Nov. 25 unless he gets clearance from an orthopedic doctor.

Just amazing...........Jones gets matched against Evans all the sudden he needs "surgery" as soon as Evans and Davis are tied he's magically fine and ready to fight again
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Quote Originally Posted by IWS Zak View Post
    I wanna see what Jones looks like when the guy he is fighting doesnt mentally break, and when he gets into the later rounds.
    My thoughts exactly. I remember reading an article where Jones's trainer said Jones was complaining on the stool that he was really tired before going into that last round with Shogun. If Machida can push Jones to rounds 4 and 5 without taking a lot of damage to get there then it could be his fight.
    I heart cock

Ok so basically it's going to be like this assuming Jones beats Rampage:

Jones vs Evans/Davis
    Jones vs Machida

If he beats all of them, who will Jones lose to? The LHW division is pretty thin...I am guessing when Forrest beats Shogun he will be close to a title shot too.

I kind of hope Phil Davis beats Jon Jones, then fights Machida for the title.