Page 4 of 235 FirstFirst ... 234567891454104 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Off topic thread(basketball,movies,etc whatever)

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    just read Lesnar's manager said Brock has no intention of competing in BJJ events so who knows?
    He can't compete in Mundials under the IBJJF rules. I would like to see him in ADCC though. I think he would do pretty well. I don't know how well his guard passing is, but he would be a handful for any HW.
    2012: +19.33
    2012 Parlay project: +16.5u

Quote Originally Posted by MMA_scientist View Post
    He can't compete in Mundials under the IBJJF rules. I would like to see him in ADCC though. I think he would do pretty well. I don't know how well his guard passing is, but he would be a handful for any HW.
    Never not post on IWS for a span of 3 days again. I want to see your post UFC 141 thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by poopoo333 View Post
    Never not post on IWS for a span of 3 days again. I want to see your post UFC 141 thoughts
    I basically post on here when I am at work. I haven't been at work, so haven't posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludo View Post
    "DeathClutch Gym will stay alive, according to Lesnar manager, Brian Stegeman. Lesnar wishes to continue training to remain athletically fit and helping his training partners grow as fighters. However, he himself has retired from competing in Mixed Martial Arts.

Grappling Tournaments, however, are still something Brock Lesnar has shown interested in according to Mr. Stegeman. Lesnar has been grappling his entire life. One can only assume that a grappling tournament would feel more like home for him than a mixed martial arts fight.

Lesnar feels he would be successful in such tournaments and will use his time in training now as preparation for any future Submission Wrestling/BJJ tournament. Though Lesnar has always trained no-gi Jiu-Jitsu, he is willing to compete in the Mundials (World Jiu-Jitsu Championship) under the black belt level.

The 2013 ADCC Submission Wrestling World Championships is also something Lesnar is considering. Many other wrestlers have had success in this tournament.

Brock Lesnar loves competition, and there is no better competition for him than Submission Wrestling."
    So by this, as long as nobody is punching Brocky, he is up for any thing?
    Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

Why can't he compete at mundials? Is it a weight thing or something else?
    2013: +8.24u(increased unit size on 5/19)
    Favorites: 20-6 + 6.13u
    Underdogs: 10-19 -2.51u
    Ludo's Locks Parlay Project: +1.4u

2012: +20.311u

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. IWS View Post
    So by this, as long as nobody is punching Brocky, he is up for any thing?
    Affirmative, ghost rider.
    2013: +8.24u(increased unit size on 5/19)
    Favorites: 20-6 + 6.13u
    Underdogs: 10-19 -2.51u
    Ludo's Locks Parlay Project: +1.4u

2012: +20.311u

Quote Originally Posted by Ludo View Post
    Why can't he compete at mundials? Is it a weight thing or something else?
    under the IBJJF rules he has to actually be a blackbelt in bjj and have a 2nd degree blackbelt sign off on his experience. If Comprido gives him a black belt, he could compete. But I understand that he is a purple belt. Some instructors require you to have overall skill and knowledge of all positions, but not everyone sees it the same way- to some people, if you can beat a bb, then you are a bb.

. . . but not everyone sees it the same way- to some people, if you can beat a bb, then you are a bb.
    What's YOUR position?
    I heart cock

Quote Originally Posted by SPX View Post
    What's YOUR position?
    I think you should display the knowledge of all positions and be able to execute from all positions. That way, when Brock is 50 years old and he has to grapple with a HW wrestler and can't get on top, he will not get totally dominated and embarass his blackbelt.

It seems strange to me that anyone would feel differently. I mean, Shogun didn't instantly become a karate black belt because he knocked out Machida. It just makes him a good muay Thai guy.
    I heart cock

Right, but some people feel differently. I mean, Rolles gave Rashad a blackbelt. I am sure he has a good working knowledge of all positions... but I would be pretty shocked if he had the guard of a black belt. So when he is too weak to get on top all of the time, is he no longer a blackbelt? How does he teach the guard submissions and sweeps? Who knows what he does in the gym, but I would be surprised if he had a well rounded game.

Well this brings up the question of whether being a black belt is more about knowledge or more about ability. I think you could have a working knowledge of something and be able to teach it without necessarily being very good in competition. My judo instructor back in the day used to say that some judoka are just never going to be good at competition, but he didn't feel that meant they shouldn't be promoted.
    I heart cock

It is a combination of both things in bjj. A bjj blackbelt definitely has to be able to roll. The only real exceptions are for old people, in which case you sort of ask yourself how they would deal with another old man. At some point, your physical attributes fail you and even a ton of knowledge is not going to make you competitive. We have a bb at my gym who is 60. I saw him go from purple to black, when I got there as a 30 year old white belt, he could tap me out despite weighing 130 pounds and being 57 years old. These days, he can't really roll with me if I went full speed, but he can keep in step with me if we just flow roll. He still taps out white belts of all shapes and sizes though.

In bjj, you really don't get to black belt without being able whup a minimum amount of ass. BUt there are blackbelts with red panels (which signifies a teaching bb) as opposed to the traditional black panel (a fighting bb).
    Last edited by MMA_scientist; 01-03-2012 at 03:31 PM.

Teaching BB and Fighting BB. . . That's interesting. . .

So is it possible to become a black belt in BJJ without ever going to a competition? Because I know that in most martial arts competition is optional. It's not required to advance up the ranks.
    I heart cock

So is it possible to become a black belt in BJJ without ever going to a competition?

Ask Randy Couture .He got his bb for submitting a boxer.
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

So is it possible to become a black belt in BJJ without ever going to a competition? Because I know that in most martial arts competition is optional. It's not required to advance up the ranks.
    yeah, you don't have to compete. Danaher never competed once (one of GSP's bjj coaches), but I hear that he submits everyone including world champs. Some guys compete, some don't. Most schools have competition teams. If you are on the comp team, a little more rolling proficiency is expected. Some schools have comp team patches on the gi to delineate the "fighters" (they call competitors fighters) from the guys just training for fun.
    Last edited by MMA_scientist; 01-03-2012 at 04:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    Ask Randy Couture .He got his bb for submitting a boxer.
    Not in bjj.

That wasn't his BJJ black belt he was given in the middle of cage?
    I heart cock

That wasn't his BJJ black belt he was given in the middle of cage?
    No, it was in Neil Melanson's grappling system or whatever. Not BJJ

I think it was his black belt in UFC
    Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter