Page 1 of 22 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: Official IWS Traditional Martial Arts Thread

Official IWS Traditional Martial Arts Thread

You asked for it . . . and I'm giving it to you.

It's the official IWS TMA thread: A repository of videos and ramblings on the traditional martial arts styles or topics directly related to traditional styles.

If Luke gets his boxing thread, then I get this one. And if anyone doesn't like it, you can go directly and fuck yourself.
    I heart cock

First order of business. . .

This fine video of Zendokai, a Daido Juku/Kudo breakaway style. We need to get some shit like this going in the US:

I heart cock

2013: +8.24u(increased unit size on 5/19)
    Favorites: 20-6 + 6.13u
    Underdogs: 10-19 -2.51u
    Ludo's Locks Parlay Project: +1.4u

2012: +20.311u

Quote Originally Posted by SPX View Post
    Y

If Luke gets his boxing thread, then I get this one.
    If by that you mean I get a thread where I talk to myself........... then yes you can have one too.
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

That's what I meant, yes.

At least you have sbjj, though. I have nobody.
    I heart cock

Official IWS Traditional Martial Arts Thread

Y'all want to hear a story that is full of cock-loving gayness?

So I suddenly got this inspiration to go check out a judo class tonight. I had found the website online the other day and figured I would give it a look and knew that they had classes on Mondays and Wednesdays (according to the schedule). So about an hour before the class starts I try to call a few times and don't get an answer. But I didn't think too much of it, figured out what bus I needed to get there, thew my gi into a backpack and headed that way.

About 20 minutes after getting on the bus I get a returned call from the instructor. He was like, "Oh, well we actually decided to take tonight off because not a lot of guys were gonna show up." So I have to get off the bus, wait 20 minutes for the next bus going in the other direction, then do another 20 minutes to get back home. GAY!

What's double gay is that it's kind of rare that I just do some spontaneous shit like that, but I was in the mood for a good workout and the thought of throwing somebody was pretty nice.
    I heart cock

I heart cock

Is this thread a joke? or are you being serious x?

I told ya'll he trolls us 100% of the time. You blind motherfuckers didn't want to listen to Me.

Quote Originally Posted by Vandelay View Post
    Why would it be a joke? This motherfucker's going to be like 50 pages before the end of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludo View Post
    I told ya'll he trolls us 100% of the time. You blind motherfuckers didn't want to listen to Me.
    BOL! I'm just starting to wonder if you were onto something. . .
    I heart cock

BOL! I'm just starting to wonder if you were onto something. . .
    I was also right about Sideloaded, and ya'll felt bad for him.

Kyokushin fighter Ryu Narushima

5'6", 154 lbs.

I heart cock

Quote Originally Posted by Vandelay View Post
    "Size doesn't mean shit in MMA."

Now that's a joke.

2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Y'all want to hear a story that is full of cock-loving gayness?

So I suddenly got this inspiration to go check out a judo class tonight. I had found the website online the other day and figured I would give it a look and knew that they had classes on Mondays and Wednesdays (according to the schedule). So about an hour before the class starts I try to call a few times and don't get an answer. But I didn't think too much of it, figured out what bus I needed to get there, thew my gi into a backpack and headed that way.

About 20 minutes after getting on the bus I get a returned call from the instructor. He was like, "Oh, well we actually decided to take tonight off because not a lot of guys were gonna show up." So I have to get off the bus, wait 20 minutes for the next bus going in the other direction, then do another 20 minutes to get back home. GAY!

What's double gay is that it's kind of rare that I just do some spontaneous shit like that, but I was in the mood for a good workout and the thought of throwing somebody was pretty nice.
    So when will the next attempt be 2013 ?

Or maybe sooner?
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    So when will the next attempt be 2013 ?

Or maybe sooner?
    Tomorrow at 7:45 actually. I called the instructor last night and we had a good discussion. If it's not gay I'll probably be joining.

Oh, and I'm starting a wado-ryu karate class on Thursday. Already bought the uniform. Just gotta sign up and pay up.
    I heart cock

2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

That's a cool shirt.
    I heart cock

So what do you prefer in a martial art, X. A gritty no-frills looking art that gives results or an elegant looking art that still offers some practical should a situation call for it?

An interesting question.

And, the latter. I want something that is both effective and aesthetically pleasing. This is why something like Krav Maga doesn't really appeal to me, because it's just pure self-defense. Effective? Sure. But it's not fun to watch or do and it doesn't provide any sporting opportunities either. On the other hand, something like Chinese wushu is very pretty and there are lots of competitions, but it offers no real combat or self-defense value.

So I want something that is between those two extremes. My appreciation of taekwondo has always been because of the kicks. From a purely demonstrational perspective, it's a very attractive style. It's also fun to do. And TKD stylists can also develop a lot of kicking power and, at least in the case of ITF TKD practitioners, they can develop decent hands as well. On the other hand, karate--in my opinion, as a whole--is probably a little more practical than TKD. It's a more grounded style that leads practitioners to develop a solid base and more basic/practical power striking. I also like many karate styles' ethos of evasion and not getting hit. A lot of people have called Machida boring but, other than the Shogun and Bones' fights, it's gotta be nice to not have to go home and spend the first month after a fight recovering from an ass beating even when you win.

Personally, as far as an ideal style that I would want to learn, it would be something that uses karate as a base, but with the kicks of TKD and enough grappling to be able to handle most people on the street. If I just wanted to learn to fight and was not interested in the style beyond it's effectiveness, and did not care about the underlying history or culture, then I'd probably just go the popular route and learn MT and BJJ or Judo. But that's just not that interesting to me.

Your thoughts?
    I heart cock

I'm a effectiveness type of guy. I like the art that uses the least amount of energy to produce the most result. Krav Maga fascinates Me because it doesn't get any more "real" than that. It is the product of the true to life need for a system designed for disadvantaged combat. How to survive an encounter with an assailant who might have a knife, who might come out of nowhere, who might have a buddy waiting for you to be preoccupied and tied up with the other guy to come from behind you.

I've also always loved Muay Thai, as you may have noticed by the av I used to use with the caption reading "Muay thai fighters do it in the clinch". I like Muay Thai because it applies the principle that every part of your body is a weapon. Not just kicks and punches, but elbows and knees which give you the option to strike from several distances. Also the history of it, and the legend of Nai Khanon who was captured by the Burmese and forced to fight nine Burmese boxers consecutively with breaks. He eventually beat them all with muay thai techniques and the king of Burma was so impressed he released Nai Khanon.

These arts were developed as a means of personal defense rather than a way to be spiritually at peace, or for fitness, or for the sake of the perfect form.