Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621 ... LastLast

Thread: Official IWS Traditional Martial Arts Thread

Quote Originally Posted by SPX View Post
    I did. Saw that shit earlier. It was great.
    To elaborate. . .

I've seen documentaries on Bruce in the past, have watched most of his movies, have read The Tao of Jeet Kune Do, and once read a biography on him. And even though I am already quite familiar with him, there were still some surprises about his life, some footage that I had never before seen, and some good reflections both from people who knew him personally (Linda Lee, Dan Inosanto, Gene LeBell, Shannon Lee, Bob Wall) and those who did not but who were influenced by him in some way (Mickey Rourke, Dana White, Jon Jones, Cung Le, Stephan Bonnar, Kobe Bryant, and some others who I had never heard of).

All in all, I thought it was really well done and thought it was kind of cool to be part of this little event that was a two-night only thing in my city.
    Last edited by SPX; 02-10-2012 at 02:55 PM.
    I heart cock

That's one of the things that scares me the most about getting into a street fight. Even if you win, you can still lose.
    Well thats the danger with things like techniques designed to drop a guy flat like that, the skull is actually built like an egg in that it can withstand alot of force in the frontal and back lobes and is weaker on the sides, but the brain is not. Sudden jolts like that can cause things like subdural hematoma(bleeding between the layers of the brain, which is pretty much fatal) or concussions, or even fractured skulls if the surface is hard enough. But yeah, if the guy dies you get thrown in jail for manslaughter or maybe worse if it comes out that he's trained, which makes his hands and feet lethal weapons.
    2013: +8.24u(increased unit size on 5/19)
    Favorites: 20-6 + 6.13u
    Underdogs: 10-19 -2.51u
    Ludo's Locks Parlay Project: +1.4u

2012: +20.311u

I think that lethal weapon shit is just an urban myth. . .
    I heart cock

I think that lethal weapon shit is just an urban myth. . .
    You might be right about that. But during some quick googling on the subject I found some funny shit about ADW in California(Assault with a Deadly Weapon).

Not in CA. That's an old wives' tale about registering your hands. What are they going to do? Tattoo a serial number on them so they can trace them in case they're stolen?

We have Penal Code 245 = ADW (Assault with Deadly Weapon) which is a wobbler charge (M/F) that gets used when someone kicks another person in the head with a shoe.

Promise not to laugh... but the standard report reads, "Suspect knocked victim to ground. Suspect then kicked victim on the left side of the head with his right foot, causing victim to fall backwards and lose consciousness. Suspect was wearing heavy leather shoes with lug soles during the altercation."

We charge PC245. Under weapon... it will say, "SHOD FOOT". No joke. Then there's the GBI (Great Bodily Injury) enhancement if serious injury resulted.

No martial arts needed, just shoes. Sorry to those of you who spent thousands buying your black belt from the local dojo. Next time you kick someone in the head in CA, make sure you are barefoot. I think you might also get away with it if you wear those crappy $5.00 canvas and plastic sole kung fu shoes since they are almost like wearing nothing.
    Shod Foot. Hilarious.

That is funny. Although perhaps not totally without warrant. After all, you can fuck a nigga up with some steel toed boots.
    I heart cock

Ludo, you have any thoughts on American Kenpo?
    I heart cock

Interesting article on the relationship between ITF TKD and North Korea. . .

http://article.joinsmsn.com/news/art...tal_id=3291178
    I heart cock

Ludo, you have any thoughts on American Kenpo?
    I'm actually not familiar with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludo View Post
    I'm actually not familiar with it.
    It's a very self-focused focused style and kind of fascinating to me in a lot of ways. Since you are all about the SD I think you would find it at least somewhat interesting.

Here's the wiki article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Kenpo

Here are a few vids:

I heart cock

Love this girl. . .

I heart cock

Announcing Michael Page -- Sport Karateka turned MMA Fighter . . . Britain's Anderson Silva?

I heart cock

I'd like to see him fight someone who wasn't making they're MMA debut before we start toting him as the UK's Anderson Silva. Honestly he looks very rough around the edges, even with all that distance he still almost got taken down after trying to sprawl the length of the cage.

Well to be fair it was his debut as well.

What I don't like is that he seems totally disrespectful. I hate it when fighters do that shit. Not only is he a showboater, but after the fight his opponent came up to him and he basically just ignored it. What a douche.
    I heart cock

Well to be fair it was his debut as well.

What I don't like is that he seems totally disrespectful. I hate it when fighters do that shit. Not only is he a showboater, but after the fight his opponent came up to him and he basically just ignored it. What a douche.
    I get that it was his debut as well, but people saying he might be the next Anderson Silva when he just fought one time against another total rookie is a huge leap. And yeah, that showboating bullshit is going to get him knocked out against anyone who knows what the fuck they're doing most likely. Let him get tagged good and see how fast those hands come up and he gets serious.

I think the Silva comparisons are due to a similarity in styles, not necessarily ability. Silva also likes to showboat, act a fool, and use weird, flashy techniques.
    I heart cock

I think the Silva comparisons are due to a similarity in styles, not necessarily ability. Silva also likes to showboat, act a fool, and use weird, flashy techniques.
    I agree there, but Silva is doing it to top guys in his division and even in the division above it.

Indeed.

Well I have mixed emotions about the guy. Since he comes from a TMA background that makes me want to support him . . . on the other hand I usually like to see showboaters get knocked the fuck out.
    I heart cock

Indeed.

Well I have mixed emotions about the guy. Since he comes from a TMA background that makes me want to support him . . . on the other hand I usually like to see showboaters get knocked the fuck out.
    I don't like him.

What you need to like is talking to me about muthafuckin' Kenpo!
    I heart cock

What you need to like is talking to me about muthafuckin' Kenpo!
    I watched those videos. It looks like it has good intentions but I really don't see as much practical use as they would like for us to think. Some of those maneuvers look just fine but some of those "finishing moves" look highly unlikely to work unless your assailant is just remaining still. Those "half step" stomps and glancing stomps just leave you off balance if the attacker does anything.

I will say that the basis of the combinations do have merit. But the "finish" portions of those strung together techniques just wouldn't translate. It really looks like the guy tried to take a veritable hodge podge of techniques and smush them together like a casserole that doesn't jive. I'm not impressed.