Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 51011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Official IWS Traditional Martial Arts Thread

Where the fuck is Ludo?
    I heart cock

Belfort getting his Karate on. . .

I heart cock

Even though this next guy is a red belt and not a "master":

And this... Well this was just hilarious.

The only video you're likely to find to the opposite effect is that one where they put in some Thai scrub who was outweighted by Andy Hug by like 50lbs and 6 inches in height.
    2013: +8.24u(increased unit size on 5/19)
    Favorites: 20-6 + 6.13u
    Underdogs: 10-19 -2.51u
    Ludo's Locks Parlay Project: +1.4u

2012: +20.311u

Ludo . . . I bring back to life our old stomping grounds and you come at me with some confrontational bullshit?

Negged, son. Just negged.
    I heart cock

Quote Originally Posted by SPX View Post
    Ludo . . . I bring back to life our old stomping grounds and you come at me with some confrontational bullshit?

Negged, son. Just negged.
    You should have seen this coming when you made it personal with that TKD vs Muay Thai bit, nigga. Don't start none won't be none!

Okay, I watched those vids.

In all seriousness, I typically expect MT guys to beat TKD guys if only because they are much better boxers and throw leg kicks. This is also why I generally think of karate as a more practical style: There's a lot more emphasis on hand techniques and the footwork is different.

Another thing I'll point out is that TMAs are more difficult to master than MT. So I think you can do a little MT and be much better off than if you did a little TKD or a little karate. But if you can get to the point that you truly understand your art and "unlock the secrets," as it were, then it can be very effective. Those TKDers in the vids you posted didn't look very good at all.

BTW. . . I do know of at least one TKD guy who won a MT fight in Thailand. It's not a very good fight, but he did win.

Oh, and here he is in a kind of lulzy low-budget film that obviously was made for $5, but the choreography is actually pretty decent:

I heart cock

Quote Originally Posted by Ludo View Post
    You should have seen this coming when you made it personal with that TKD vs Muay Thai bit, nigga. Don't start none won't be none!
    Nigga, you don't even DO Muay Thai!
    I heart cock

And why the fuck doesn't anyone care that I'm probably about to start taking Shotokan?!
    I heart cock

I can agree that the technique in Muay Thai can often take a back seat to raw power and body conditioning compared to some formal asian martial arts. Because the emphasis is mostly in roundhouse kicks aimed between the knee and ribs, you can generate a ton of force out of the quad and the hips with some training. Footwork is absolutely an area that traditional arts excel at in comparison to muay thai, which is traditionally more flat footed and "slugfest" oriented, at least in that two muay thai fighters will generally go toe to toe with one another rather than buzz in and out.

I think that some martial arts suffer slightly, at least in the beginning stages, from those short straight punches. They land more often than say a hook does, but they typically don't have the same kind of impact because of the shortest distance thing. There's not enough time to build alot of force alot of the time. Though I will admit Machida has a mean straight right hand. Ultimately there isn't one single art better than another. Styles may make fights but fighters determine who wins.

Nigga, you don't even DO Muay Thai!
    Technically you don't do Tae Kwon Do right now either, nigga Jim.

And why the fuck doesn't anyone care that I'm probably about to start taking Shotokan?!
    I'm not even 100% on what shotokan even is and how it differs from other arts.

I can agree that the technique in Muay Thai can often take a back seat to raw power and body conditioning compared to some formal asian martial arts. Because the emphasis is mostly in roundhouse kicks aimed between the knee and ribs, you can generate a ton of force out of the quad and the hips with some training. Footwork is absolutely an area that traditional arts excel at in comparison to muay thai, which is traditionally more flat footed and "slugfest" oriented, at least in that two muay thai fighters will generally go toe to toe with one another rather than buzz in and out.

I think that some martial arts suffer slightly, at least in the beginning stages, from those short straight punches. They land more often than say a hook does, but they typically don't have the same kind of impact because of the shortest distance thing. There's not enough time to build alot of force alot of the time. Though I will admit Machida has a mean straight right hand. Ultimately there isn't one single art better than another. Styles may make fights but fighters determine who wins.

Indeed. Damn, I've missed these conversations.

There are so many problems with the TMA world, but few of them have to do with the art itself. (Unless it's some ridiculous shit like drunken monkey.)

A big problem with TKD is that it has become so sport oriented that so many of the tools that actually exist in the art just kind of get forgotten because they're not allowed (or rewarded) in competition. This is ESPECIALLY true of Olympic-style TKD (which I'm pretty positive is what all those guys in those vids you posted had studied). They basically get good at kicking, but ONLY kicking and only to a very select array of targets. The art includes much more than that, but anything that's not related to winning tournaments is ignored.

So you may have to search far and wide, but if you find the right instructor and you are sufficiently motivated and can devote the proper amount of time, then you can train in a TMA and learn to whip somebody's ass.
    I heart cock

Technically you don't do Tae Kwon Do right now either, nigga Jim.
    That's true. But have you ever actually formally studied MT? Or have you just researched it academically?

I'm not even 100% on what shotokan even is and how it differs from other arts.
    Shotokan is what Lyoto's background is in. Here he is in a brief clip competing in a Shotokan comp:

I heart cock

let me know when you actually do start.
    2012: +19.33
    2012 Parlay project: +16.5u

That's true. But have you ever actually formally studied MT? Or have you just researched it academically?
    We went over this already.

Quote Originally Posted by MMA_scientist View Post
    let me know when you actually do start.
    I should be going to look at a class tomorrow. As long as everything is on the up and up and I get good vibes money will be the deciding factor on whether it's this month or next.
    I heart cock

We went over this already.
    If I remember correctly you took a few classes maybe. You'll have to refresh my memory.
    I heart cock

If I remember correctly you took a few classes maybe. You'll have to refresh my memory.
    I've taken a few classes in a variety of things. Nothing serious, mind you. I'm mostly a student of biomechanics and physiology. I like studying how the body moves, how force is generated and from where in various maneuvers, etc etc etc.

^^ exactly how fat are you?
    2012: +19.33
    2012 Parlay project: +16.5u

Quote Originally Posted by MMA_scientist View Post
    ^^ exactly how fat are you?
    Which version of fat scientist wants to know?