Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst ... 234567813 ... LastLast

Thread: Official IWS Traditional Martial Arts Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ludo View Post
    I don't necessarily buy into that line of thinking by and large. While that's something that was "said" as soon as asian martial arts came to the western world it was like an explosion. Bruce Lee wasn't a total celebrity by accident. As soon as kung fu and other martial arts made their way to Europe/America everyone wanted to learn to look like a ninja while fighting.
    This took some time. I mean, Bruce Tegner was writing books on martial arts as early as 1950 and the public was aware of the existence of karate, kung fu and judo, but it wasn't until the 70s that public interest really took off.

Well for john everyman who may not be versed in catch wrestling it wouldn't make a difference is he was throwing punches or kicks against one.
    Even an unskilled brawler can just windmill into a guy and knock him down. This isn't especially difficult.
    I heart cock

I saw the first one. I wasn't aware there were more though.
    If you have Netflix, I believe the second one is up for streaming.

There's also this shit, which I believe is totally separate from the Donnie Yen movies:

Well speaking strictly for self defense you may not have to modify the stance at all. It's not especially likely your going to be attacked by a trained individual, since studies show that structured activities like that tend to keep youths out of crime for the most part. As far as vital targets that's only a minor tweak to things, it's still going to be the same basic movements and core motions that are just aimed elsewhere. A jab is still a jab only now it goes to the throat and not the nose, a knee to the gut can be a knee to the groin, etc etc etc.
    My point is that you'll fight how you train. If you don't regularly put it into your mind to go for those targets, then you'll treat it like a ring fight. Not that it will probably matter in MOST situations. By and large, a skilled MTer will beat the shit out of most guys anyway.
    I heart cock

Re: Krav Maga. An interesting post. . .

The thing that gets me about Krav Maga is that it is basically every Traditional Martial Art I've ever seen but with a new name and they swear up and down that it is new.

Then they give you these life or death scenarios that statistically no one would have a chance of surviving and they tell you to hit the guy in the nuts, or rake his eyes, etc. Basically just shit that you could have told yourself to do without paying for it.

I've taken Krav Maga and it's just not impressive. You'd be better off learning boxing, MT, wrestling, or BJJ and just telling yourself that everyonce in a while, you might have to kick someone in the nuts, poke them in the eye, or run the fuck away.
    http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f11/kr.../#post27957432
    I heart cock

Quote Originally Posted by SPX View Post
    Re: Krav Maga. An interesting post. . .

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f11/kr.../#post27957432
    Easily the most overall disrespectful to a single system I've ever seen. But like one guy pointed out it's not a sport and it isn't meant to be for competition, it's meant to teach you things to stay alive in spontaneous encounters.
    2013: +8.24u(increased unit size on 5/19)
    Favorites: 20-6 + 6.13u
    Underdogs: 10-19 -2.51u
    Ludo's Locks Parlay Project: +1.4u

2012: +20.311u

If you have Netflix, I believe the second one is up for streaming.
    Watched the second one last night. I didn't like it near as much as the first one, there seemed to be alot more fighting just for the sake of fighting and traditional martial arts movie-esque acrobatics in it. It honestly reminded Me of Jet Li's Fearless.

My point is that you'll fight how you train. If you don't regularly put it into your mind to go for those targets, then you'll treat it like a ring fight. Not that it will probably matter in MOST situations. By and large, a skilled MTer will beat the shit out of most guys anyway.
    You have a point here. But even just drilling jabs to the throat or something without actually hitting anything may still do the trick when things become automatic. But yeah, someone who's 2-4 years into muay thai will probably beat the shit out of any unskilled tough guy when push comes to shove. It's amazing how much a little conditioning of the legs makes a difference when being kicked or how a person reacts who's not used to being kicked at all.

Watched the second one last night. I didn't like it near as much as the first one, there seemed to be alot more fighting just for the sake of fighting and traditional martial arts movie-esque acrobatics in it. It honestly reminded Me of Jet Li's Fearless.
    I still haven't seen the second. I should give it a watch.

But it's interesting that you brought up Fearless, because that's how I felt about the first one. But not a bad thing, in my opinion, because Fearless was fucking awesome.
    I heart cock

I still haven't seen the second. I should give it a watch.

But it's interesting that you brought up Fearless, because that's how I felt about the first one. But not a bad thing, in my opinion, because Fearless was fucking awesome.
    I liked Fearless but the first Ip Man seemed like a different kind of martial arts movie. It had the element of "unreal" but it stayed within cognitive reality if that makes sense. There was nobody flying through the air bicycle kicking or performing feats that challenge gravity and physics in the first one. Watch the second one and you'll see why I compared it to Fearless.

Went and checked out a TKD class tonight. I think I might try to do it along with wado.
    I heart cock

Billy Blanks getting knocked out. . .

I heart cock

^^^^^LOL, he looked terrified right before he got frozen.
    Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

BOL. I've actually heard that he was quite the tournament fighter back in the day. Can't find any other vids, though. . .
    I heart cock

I didn't even know Blank was a legit martial artist, I thought he just created that persona to help sell those workout videos.

Quote Originally Posted by eternalrag3
    TKD is an amalgamation of about 9 or so martial arts schools that opened up in Korea following liberation in 1945 from Japanese occupation. During the occupation, the only martial arts allowed were karate, judo, and kendo. So yes, these nine schools that opened up were basically karate, which the founders of those schools picked up at universities.

About 10 years or so following the liberation, the Korean government felt a need to re-establish a "national Korean identity", so they did away with everything Japanese, including an attempt to merge the nine schools under the name "TKD". That's why sometimes these days you will see "Chang Moo Kwan TKD" or "Moo Duk Kwan TKD", these schools giving a shoutout to whichever lineage they spring from.

"Tang Soo Do" in Korean means the same thing as "Karate", but these days usually refers to the line of schools descending from the Moo Duk Kwan. The forms in this system are Anko Itosu's Heian/Pinan sets, as well as Bassai, Kusanku, Tekki, Lohai, etc, just given Koreanized names (Pyung Ahn, Bassai, Kong Sang Koon, Nai Han Chi, Rohai).

"Korean Karate" is a term popularized by servicemen and Koreans who came over to the US to spread korean martial arts. Since most of today's korean MAs (TKD, Tang Soo Do, Kuk Sul Won, Hwarangdo, etc) all stem from karate, this would be an accurate term.

None of today's modern Korean MA have a direct lineage to the Silla Dynasty, or the Hwarang, or ancient Korea in general. That is all bullshit propaganda to try and give korean MA's some sort of historical cred, which is stupid because take a look at their forms and you can see where exactly they hail from.

The only true Korean MAs these days are taekkyun and ssireum. Anyone who tells you otherwise is full of shit.
    Agree?

Taken from this thread:
    http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f12/pu...3/index10.html

Starts out about the general gayness of the color purple, but devolves into a TMA history and comparison. Thought you might find it interesting. Pretty good thread
    2012: +19.33
    2012 Parlay project: +16.5u

I didn't even know Blank was a legit martial artist, I thought he just created that persona to help sell those workout videos.

He's wrong on several points. Tang Soo Do doesn't mean "karate" it's a korean translation on chinese wording that means "china hand way" and the Tang is referring to a particular dynasty in china. He is correct that it holds roots in many other arts and that the term had become a generic term for martial arts in general. But it was five schools, not nine, that opened toward the end of the japanese occupation.

I also found it a bit comical that the guy's handle is "eternalrag3" when one of the three main principles of tang soo do has to do with graceful motion.

Quote Originally Posted by Svino View Post
    Too bad he didn't do that neck exercize from 2:45 in on that one fateful night...

No, he was the real deal for sure. He just saw an opportunity to make a shitload of money and capitalized, which I don't blame him for. Tae Bo has helped a lot of people get in shape anyway.

I posted this on Sherdog and this is what one guy said in response:

"He and his Brother both won just about everything in the US there was to win. I used to have an old VHS HL video that featured him, and in it he leveled a guy with the same kick he got leveled with there, ironically enough.

He also boxed as an Amateur. If Blanks had continued fighting as a Profession, he would have been very similar to someone like Pete Spratt, or Dewey Cooper, someone who would fight under any rule-set and not care.

And there were rumors that he and Jet Li fought on a movie set, rumors that came out of Hong Kong's stunt circles, which aren't known for lying, just that the two of them didn't get along at all and got into a bit of a scrap."

Did you ever see any of his movies?

I heart cock

Quote Originally Posted by MMA_scientist View Post
    Agree?

Taken from this thread:
    http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f12/pu...3/index10.html

Starts out about the general gayness of the color purple, but devolves into a TMA history and comparison. Thought you might find it interesting. Pretty good thread
    Wow, Scientist, for some reason I'm surprised you even had enough interest to actually post this.

Anyway, the history of TKD is quite complicated and rife with politics and I don't pretend to understand it all. The World Taekwondo Federation (which governs Olympic-style TKD) has an official story about how modern-day TKD is a direct descendant of Korean martial arts that are 2,000 years old. TKDists who actually know anything though agree that while TKD may have been influenced by these styles, it is most directly a descendant of Shotokan karate. Early TKD film clips show something that is very similar to Shotokan and even today ITF TKD is quite similar. (WTF TKD has traveled quite far away from its roots, though.)

But as the poster you quoted mentions, yeah, it was the Korean's hatred for the Japanese that caused them to want to disavow all ties to karate.

Here's a thread where a guy goes off about it, calling Koreans liars and thieves:

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/sho...100755-curious
    I heart cock

Quote Originally Posted by Svino View Post
    Fucking BOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Repped.
    I heart cock

Too bad he didn't do that neck exercize from 2:45 in on that one fateful night...
    Challenge his martial arts cred all you want, but you can't say the dude didn't know to apply a choke.