Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345678914 ... LastLast

Thread: Official IWS Traditional Martial Arts Thread

Aw shit, Svino bringin' jokes.
    I heart cock

Quote Originally Posted by SPX View Post
    No, he was the real deal for sure. He just saw an opportunity to make a shitload of money and capitalized, which I don't blame him for. Tae Bo has helped a lot of people get in shape anyway.

I posted this on Sherdog and this is what one guy said in response:

"He and his Brother both won just about everything in the US there was to win. I used to have an old VHS HL video that featured him, and in it he leveled a guy with the same kick he got leveled with there, ironically enough.

He also boxed as an Amateur. If Blanks had continued fighting as a Profession, he would have been very similar to someone like Pete Spratt, or Dewey Cooper, someone who would fight under any rule-set and not care.

And there were rumors that he and Jet Li fought on a movie set, rumors that came out of Hong Kong's stunt circles, which aren't known for lying, just that the two of them didn't get along at all and got into a bit of a scrap."

Did you ever see any of his movies?

I can't say I have seen his movies, at least not the ones that were martial arts themed.

I wonder who won that scuffle between him and Jet, I also wonder if it was more than them just rolling on the ground screaming at one another too.
    2013: +8.24u(increased unit size on 5/19)
    Favorites: 20-6 + 6.13u
    Underdogs: 10-19 -2.51u
    Ludo's Locks Parlay Project: +1.4u

2012: +20.311u

Quote Originally Posted by Svino View Post
    Challenge his martial arts cred all you want, but you can't say the dude didn't know to apply a choke.
    Looks like Bill can add everything from the shoulder down to the other achievements under his belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludo View Post
    I can't say I have seen his movies, at least not the ones that were martial arts themed.
    It's been a while since I've seen any of them, but I liked them as a kid. He's actually got some pretty slick moves.

I wonder who won that scuffle between him and Jet, I also wonder if it was more than them just rolling on the ground screaming at one another too.
    Yeah, who knows. He's about 10 times Jet's size and I don't think Jet has ever done any competitive fighting so I can't imagine it was a real fight considering Jet's still alive.
    I heart cock

It's been a while since I've seen any of them, but I liked them as a kid. He's actually got some pretty slick moves.

Yeah, who knows. He's about 10 times Jet's size and I don't think Jet has ever done any competitive fighting so I can't imagine it was a real fight considering Jet's still alive.
    I think Jet had potential for it since he won plenty of non sparring Wushu competitions from the age of 12 and on. But There's something to be said for demonstration vs fighting especially against someone who apparently had plenty of success in contact based competitions.

Yeah, I remember hearing people say things about how Jet Li was a Sanda champ, so I looked it up and was disappointed to see all he did was win a few tournaments for "forms" as a teenager. So basically, he was a childhood dance champion.

I actually did Wushu for a couple of months when I was a teenager. I actually liked it and think that the high-level competitors are very talented and athletic individuals. But don't ever think it has anything to do with fighting. It was actually intentionally created to be something that people couldn't kick ass with. There was a crack down in China against real kung fu, and that's why many of top masters are either in the US or Canada. The Communist Party had wushu created to satiate the people's desire for kung fu, while also assuring that it could never be used against them.
    I heart cock

I watched that Fight Quest episode on Wing Chun. A few notes:

1.) Not nearly as "pretty" as the Ip Man movies would have you believe.

2.) It's easy to see it's practical uses, especially in situations where your cornered and don't have alot of room to work.

3.) That "ghost kick" is a sinister invention.

4.) Human Weapon is a better overall show.

I watched that Fight Quest episode on Wing Chun.
    Cool. Now go watch the one on Kyokushin.

1.) Not nearly as "pretty" as the Ip Man movies would have you believe.
    No, but that's pretty much the way it is with all martial arts. Real fights just don't look like they do in the movies.

2.) It's easy to see it's practical uses, especially in situations where your cornered and don't have alot of room to work.
    I think so, too. The interesting thing is that even on forums with a largely traditional bent, like MartialTalk, wing chun doesn't get a lot of respect. People are just like, "Wing chun!!! BOL!!!!!!!!!!!!"

3.) That "ghost kick" is a sinister invention.
    I'll need to go back and watch it again to respond intelligently. . .

4.) Human Weapon is a better overall show.
    Only for gays. . .

I mean, the hosts for Human Weapon are some football player dude and the douche who runs Shine Fights.
    I heart cock

I'll be watching the Pencak Silat one first. Love Me some Moro fighting.

And the Ghost kick was the technique that's essentially a short front kick aimed to the knee or groin thrown at the same exact time as a punch to the face, which masks the kick.

I'll be watching the Pencak Silat one first. Love Me some Moro fighting.
    I don't think I even watched that one. That's a prime example of some shit I would watch only when I had run out of everything else.
    I heart cock

And the Ghost kick was the technique that's essentially a short front kick aimed to the knee or groin thrown at the same exact time as a punch to the face, which masks the kick.
    Oh yeah, that seems vaguely familiar. . .

I've actually always wondered why that strategy hasn't been more of a mainstay in all self-defense based martial arts.
    I heart cock

Well you said it before your interest lies in traditional asian arts. I guess I'm a bit of a hipster when it comes to Martial Arts, at least in what interests Me more. I'd rather watch some Pradal Serey, Pankration, or even something on Eskrima before something on TMA.

Oh yeah, that seems vaguely familiar. . .

I've actually always wondered why that strategy hasn't been more of a mainstay in all self-defense based martial arts.
    Probably because it's so easy to do serious/permanent damage to the joint that it's almost impossible to practice and therefore not practical to use. One wrong step and your shit could be shattered even in 50% drills or something.

Well you said it before your interest lies in traditional asian arts. I guess I'm a bit of a hipster when it comes to Martial Arts, at least in what interests Me more. I'd rather watch some Pradal Serey, Pankration, or even something on Eskrima before something on TMA.
    Yes. My interest is often directly related to the culture from which it sprang. If a style doesn't have a culture and history that's interesting to me then it usually won't get much love.

For me, it usually goes something like:

Karate and TKD
    Judo
    Kung Fu
    MMA (basically a style at this point) and BJJ
    Boxing and MT
    Savate
    Everything Else

Almost everything from Southeast Asia with the exception of MT barely even appears on my radar.

Probably because it's so easy to do serious/permanent damage to the joint that it's almost impossible to practice and therefore not practical to use. One wrong step and your shit could be shattered even in 50% drills or something.
    Yeah, but it's like I said before, a lot of performing self-defense moves is mental . . . preparing yourself mentally to do the movement or to strike to certain areas. I mean, it's impractical to strike to ANY of the vital areas, like the groin, the eyes, the throat, etc. but there are drills which simulate doing so and which build up a subconscious suggestion to do so when the shit hits the fan.
    Last edited by SPX; 01-20-2012 at 01:25 AM.
    I heart cock

Reposting due to awesomeness. I am seriously a fan of this dude's old school ass kicking!

And adding. . .

I heart cock

Yes. My interest is often directly related to the culture from which it sprang. If a style doesn't have a culture and history that's interesting to me then it usually won't get much love.

For me, it usually goes something like:

Karate and TKD
    Kung Fu
    MMA (basically a style at this point)
    Boxing and MT
    Savate
    Everything Else

Almost everything from Southeast Asia with the exception of MT barely even appears on my radar.
    My list looks like:

MMA
    Muay Thai
    Knife Fighting
    Warfare arts(Pankration, Silat, Eskrima, Sambo basically anything that was meant to be used in full scale battles etc etc etc)
    Everything else

I mean, I dabble and I like to at least know something about everything just for My own personal knowledge but My interests really are in alot of the stuff that isn't inherently tied to China, Japan, and Korea.

Yeah, but it's like I said before, a lot of performing self-defense moves is mental . . . preparing yourself mentally to do the movement or to strike to certain areas. I mean, it's impractical to strike to ANY of the vital areas, like the groin, the eyes, the throat, etc. but there are drills which simulate doing so and which build up a subconscious suggestion to do so when the shit hits the fan.
    Yeah but it's easier to drill strikes to the throat or eyes because those are essentially just aim and go. You can practice those on a dummy or from a safe distance out of arms length from someone and drill the necessary strength for the technique. With something designed to attack the knee or the groin(much heavier areas of the body) you need to drill the exact kind of force in order to properly use it on the fly.

Like alot of kicks you need to practice on something you can actually contact otherwise you won't know if your doing it improperly, which runs a risk of injuring yourself if your someday forced to use it for real. If your not used to the feeling of hitting something solid with the technique you could be in too close and knock yourself off balance, or too far away and hurt your own leg trying to stretch into it. Until you know what it feels like to actually try and push your foot into someone's knee or groin you won't know how much juice to give it before you lose your balance if it doesn't move, or what range is proper for you, etc etc etc.

Because it's extremely unsafe to drill this on a person it's hard to bring it into alot of systems. It's not like putting on a fat suit and drilling a lifting kick to the groin like in a womens self defense class, there's no pad that will stop your knee from hyper-extending and buckling in the event that something goes wrong.

Hmm. . . combative tai chi . . . didn't realize it actually existed. . .

I heart cock

That shit looks hella-fake. Either that or that's the lightest fat guy ever.