Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 234567891015 ... LastLast

Thread: Official IWS Traditional Martial Arts Thread

I have the same suspicions, but I don't see the big guy intentionally jumping away or anything.
    I heart cock

Interesting Bill Wallace seminar . . . gotta love me some Bill Wallace . . .

I heart cock

Quote Originally Posted by SPX View Post
    I have the same suspicions, but I don't see the big guy intentionally jumping away or anything.
    No, but that doesn't mean it's not carefully choreographed or anything. For all we know they worked for a few days on that shit. That or the little guy was exposed to gamma radiation.
    2013: +8.24u(increased unit size on 5/19)
    Favorites: 20-6 + 6.13u
    Underdogs: 10-19 -2.51u
    Ludo's Locks Parlay Project: +1.4u

2012: +20.311u

Quote Originally Posted by Ludo View Post
    No, but that doesn't mean it's not carefully choreographed or anything. For all we know they worked for a few days on that shit. That or the little guy was exposed to gamma radiation.
    I was thinking more like he was using the principles of a lot of grappling arts when it comes to redirecting force. Also, it's quite possible he could just be a strong motherfucker. It's not like the bigger guy completely dwarfed him.

It could certainly be choreographed. Or it could also just be REAL tai chi in action.
    I heart cock

More Bill Wallace action:

I heart cock

And why stop there?

I heart cock

"Push it in nice and hard!"

Insane flexibility from Bill Wallace.

I heart cock

I liked him better when he was still William.

Bill Wallace is fucking awesome. Such a smooth and fast kicker.
    I heart cock

Awesome! This is Shotokan, but it's really similar to what I'm learning in wado-ryu. . .

I heart cock

Bill Wallace is fucking awesome. Such a smooth and fast kicker.

He shows great FREEEEEEEEDOM of movement.

Awesome! This is Shotokan, but it's really similar to what I'm learning in wado-ryu. . .

What's the purpose of recoiling the arm all the way back so that the hand is near the ribs after a strike? Actually, why are the arms ever in that position at all?

I didn't know they did full contact.

Some of those techniques looked pretty straightforward but then you had some trip/finishing combos that were badass. That sweep to the lead leg from outside was pretty sick.
    Last edited by Ludo; 01-22-2012 at 04:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Svino View Post
    What's the purpose of recoiling the arm all the way back so that the hand is near the ribs after a strike? Actually, why are the arms ever in that position at all?
    In traditional karate, that's called "chambering" your punch. Coming from the hip and adding the twisting motion to the arm supposedly adds power to the strike. I do believe that is true, but obviously there are downfalls, like the fact that that arm isn't providing any defense and also the strike has quite a ways to travel.

Reverse punches like this are done in kata and line drills and there is a lot of argument as to why. Some say that kata is to personify "perfect form." Others acknowledge its impracticality, but believe that doing traditional deep stances and kata/line drills builds core strength and leg strength. This is, in fact, the position taken by my instructor at my wado dojo.

In wado, we actually have the traditional "strength building" stances--which some say are also transitional stances, as you may transition into such a stance to perform a certain technique and then transition out of it, in free-flowing motion--but we also have an actual "fighting stance," which looks a bit more like a boxing stance with both hands up, kind of like this:

http://www.wado-ryu-karate.com/Kiso_Kumite_13.jpg

Even in the Shotokan vid, though, you notice that during actual kumite (fighting) they have a higher guard, with both hands up. As for why they end certain techniques with the hand back at the hip, I believe this has something to do with having to not only execute a technique in order to get a point but execute it with proper form. If your form is off, no points. But I haven't competed in a karate comp yet, so I'm not totally sure.
    Last edited by SPX; 01-22-2012 at 06:40 PM.
    I heart cock

I didn't know they did full contact.
    Technically, they don't. Techniques are supposed to executed with control. But from what I understand, if someone runs into your punch or kick and gets knocked out then that's their fault, provided the judge doesn't believe you did it intentionally. Also, I believe that there's a lot more leeway with black belts than there is with colored belts, and it can essentially become full contact at that level.

Some of those techniques looked pretty straightforward but then you had some trip/finishing combos that were badass. That sweep to the lead leg from outside was pretty sick.
    Yeah, you know a lot of people think of karate as being a "flashy" art, but it's really not. There are some flashy kicks like the spinning heel kick, but for the most part it relies on basic techniques. What sets it apart is the philosophy which governs a lot of movement, in that a lot of it is about evading your opponent's attacks and counter-attacking. Especially in Shotokan, there is a lot of emphasis on the lunging punch, and you see it constantly in the video where guys stay on the outside and then jump in to strike. This is exactly where Machida's "elusiveness" comes from.

And yeah, the trips are cool. I'm looking forward to learning that shit.
    I heart cock

I heart cock

For interested parties. . .

I heart cock

Technically, they don't. Techniques are supposed to executed with control. But from what I understand, if someone runs into your punch or kick and gets knocked out then that's their fault, provided the judge doesn't believe you did it intentionally. Also, I believe that there's a lot more leeway with black belts than there is with colored belts, and it can essentially become full contact at that level.
    I don't know. Alot of the shit in that video looked like they were going full on with most of those punches. No open hand strikes or anything like that. I think I even saw some aimed low toward the throat but that could just be the camera angle.

Yeah, you know a lot of people think of karate as being a "flashy" art, but it's really not. There are some flashy kicks like the spinning heel kick, but for the most part it relies on basic techniques. What sets it apart is the philosophy which governs a lot of movement, in that a lot of it is about evading your opponent's attacks and counter-attacking. Especially in Shotokan, there is a lot of emphasis on the lunging punch, and you see it constantly in the video where guys stay on the outside and then jump in to strike. This is exactly where Machida's "elusiveness" comes from.
    The misconception probably comes from the various "styles" of kung fu and the failure to separate effective martial arts from form demo's and the movies(mostly the movies).

I don't know. Alot of the shit in that video looked like they were going full on with most of those punches. No open hand strikes or anything like that. I think I even saw some aimed low toward the throat but that could just be the camera angle.
    I can promise you that somewhere in a rulebook it says that competitors are to use "controlled contact," but I like I mentioned, at the black belt level competitors are given a lot of leeway.

Not sure you saw this when I posted it earlier, but this is the same kind of competition. You'll see that some hard hits happen, but some of the punches are obviously pulled as well:

The misconception probably comes from the various "styles" of kung fu and the failure to separate effective martial arts from form demo's and the movies(mostly the movies).
    Yeah, I'm sure. Everything in the movies is overdone . . . not that I blame them for that. I mean, shit looks a lot cooler when dudes are flying through the air and spinning and shit.

I also think that taekwondo has something to do with it. TKD is inherently a flashier style and I think that a lot of people don't really make a distinction in their minds between TKD and karate.

I mean, just watch this video and compare:

I heart cock

Thought this was cool, and these guys look like they could break some sternums. . .

Last edited by SPX; 01-23-2012 at 02:04 PM.
    I heart cock

I heart cock