Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 23456789101116 ... LastLast

Thread: Official IWS Traditional Martial Arts Thread

So I've officially joined a WTF/Olympic-style TKD class. So I'm going to be doing both wado-ryu and TKD.
    I heart cock

I heart cock

Quote Originally Posted by SPX View Post

BOL. Didn't we just discuss that "one kick one kill" shit like a week ago? Pure ridiculousness to use a hodge podge sport like MMA as a basis for a system not being seen at it's purest in said sport. That would be like Me saying TKD is almost completely useless because we've only seen about three fights ended by a TKD technique in MMA history. Or that Judo isn't as effective as brazilian jiu jitsu because there has never been a Judoka holding a major MMA title.
    2013: +8.24u(increased unit size on 5/19)
    Favorites: 20-6 + 6.13u
    Underdogs: 10-19 -2.51u
    Ludo's Locks Parlay Project: +1.4u

2012: +20.311u

Those peeps are retarded. Or more fairly, just ignorant. They live in a fantasy world where grappling doesn't exist and the UFC never happened.

My official position: With MT, you get a more powerful kick, but it's generally a bit slower and more telegraphed. With TKD, kicks are generally a bit faster but less powerful. That's the trade-off. Which one is better? I guess it depends on the situation.

In any case, like we've discussed, one kick or punch CAN end any fight . . . but to EXPECT it to? LOL.
    I heart cock

Quote Originally Posted by Ludo View Post
    That would be like Me saying TKD is almost completely useless because we've only seen about three fights ended by a TKD technique in MMA history.
    To be fair, TKD has punches, knees, elbows, and roundhouse kicks, so. . .
    I heart cock

To be fair, TKD has punches, knees, elbows, and roundhouse kicks, so. . .
    But you don't kick the leg or the side of the body with your foot unless your using the heel of your foot. The ankle doesn't have the kind of weight it needs nor does the foot have the kind of durability needed to produce effective results to those areas without a high risk of hurting yourself in the process. Broken toes/feet are the bane of kicks as a whole.

The headkick KO, while awesome, is more and more rare because it's hard to fire off with alot of power without telegraphing it. If you flick it up there you'll land more of them but they won't have the kind of "oomph" you need.
    Last edited by Ludo; 01-27-2012 at 02:05 AM.

But you don't kick the leg or the side of the body with your foot unless your using the heel of your foot. The ankle doesn't have the kind of weight it needs nor does the foot have the kind of durability needed to produce effective results to those areas without a high risk of hurting yourself in the process. Broken toes/feet are the bane of kicks as a whole.
    That's really not true. Also, you have to remember that the instep (i.e. the top of the foot) is only ONE striking surface with the TKD roundhouse . . . TKDers (and karate fighters, for that matter) also learn to strike with the ball of the foot.
    I heart cock

That's really not true. Also, you have to remember that the instep (i.e. the top of the foot) is only ONE striking surface with the TKD roundhouse . . . TKDers (and karate fighters, for that matter) also learn to strike with the ball of the foot.
    You won't find many people trying to kick the legs or the abdomen with the top of the foot. They prefer to use the heel for those areas, and for good reason, because of the mass involved. Kick the side of the stomach with the top of your foot and your either going to hurt your foot/ankle while the other guy doesn't feel as much of it because not enough of your inertia has been transferred safely. Your foot has now stopped but the rest of your leg wants to keep going. Imagine your swinging a baseball bat, after you've hit the ball the bat doesn't just want to stop right there, you have to, at least to some degree, let it continue the arc.

The leg has a bit of the same thing going on and more. Kicking the quad will probably have the same effect, and kicking below that has the top of your foot which contains several small bones with very limited padding contacting possibly the knee(and the knee wins that battle most of the time via being bigger, thicker, and with more weight to stabilize it).

I know the heel and ball of the foot are used but I was referring mostly to round kick.

Okay, two things. . .

1. Don't get too caught up in your Fight Science documentaries. I'll kick the shit out of your ribs with the instep. Look at your own foot. Examine it. There's a spot right about where the ankle meets the foot that's quite strong.

2. I was talking about the round kick when I said that in TKD you learn to kick 2 ways: with the instep and with the ball. Observe (note: the "turning kick" is the ITF name for the roundhouse):

I heart cock

Holy shit, I just paid $200 for this motherfucker on Amazon. It better be worth it.

http://www.amazon.com/Century-1557-V.../dp/B000EZYT7Q
    I heart cock

^^ I have one of those I would have given you. Not that exact one, but similar (has a wheel crank). They do work, but you have to be patient. IME if you dedicate the same amount of time to a good stretching routine, you see the same results.

If you ever are thinking about buying gear, hit me up first. I have a lot of gear, including striking stuff. Contrary to the shit I say in here, I actually do know how to strike and used to train it a lot. But I just don't have a lot of interest in it, so I quit. But I have focus mitts, heavy bag, speed bag, headache bag (which I have 2 and I actually use that one still, IMO, the the headache bag is totally underutilized), boxing gloves, etc. I don't use it or want it, I will send it to you if you are going to keep training... I am not donating to a pussy quitter to sell on Cl though
    Last edited by MMA_scientist; 01-27-2012 at 10:27 AM.
    2012: +19.33
    2012 Parlay project: +16.5u

Cool, Scientist. Thanks for the heads up. I will keep that in mind.

And hopefully the VersaFlex will help me out. I REALLY need to improve my flexibility. I can't kick for shit right now.
    I heart cock

A press release from last year from my new TKD school:

http://meteorwebmarketing.com/Docume...demy%20SLC.pdf
    I heart cock

I heart cock

Just when you thought it was safe to be a banana tree.

Well that was pretty crazy. . .
    I heart cock

Well that was pretty crazy. . .
    The fuck you been, nergo?

Sulking after getting my ass kicked last weekend.
    I heart cock

Sulking after getting my ass kicked last weekend.
    Been there. You'll make it up this weekend. Year of the win!

Been there. You'll make it up this weekend.
    Thanks. I hope so. It sucks after starting off well for the first couple of events.

Year of the win!
    Hope so.
    I heart cock