Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast

Thread: Official IWS Traditional Martial Arts Thread

Quote Originally Posted by SPX View Post
    Thanks. I hope so. It sucks after starting off well for the first couple of events.
    Just remember that it's early. Anything that doesn't go well right now can be corrected.
    2013: +8.24u(increased unit size on 5/19)
    Favorites: 20-6 + 6.13u
    Underdogs: 10-19 -2.51u
    Ludo's Locks Parlay Project: +1.4u

2012: +20.311u

So I acquired Machida's "Karate-Do for Mixed Martial Arts" series. I've watched a little bit of it and shit is the bomb.

One review on Amazon from 2009 stood out to me, though. It says:

". . . on the first two discs he also offers a whole slew of techniques and combinations that neither he nor anybody else has EVER successfully employed in MMA competition. Spinning hook kick anyone? How about some jumping front kick combinations? A bit too much traditional karate here, and too little focus on high percentage MMA application."

While I understand the sentiment at the time, it's kind of ironic in light of Machida's kick on Couture and Barboza's kick on Etim. I'll also point out that by 2009 plenty of guys had landed a spinning hook kick in MMA, just not in the UFC.
    I heart cock

So I acquired Machida's "Karate-Do for Mixed Martial Arts" series. I've watched a little bit of it and shit is the bomb.

One review on Amazon from 2009 stood out to me, though. It says:

". . . on the first two discs he also offers a whole slew of techniques and combinations that neither he nor anybody else has EVER successfully employed in MMA competition. Spinning hook kick anyone? How about some jumping front kick combinations? A bit too much traditional karate here, and too little focus on high percentage MMA application."

While I understand the sentiment at the time, it's kind of ironic in light of Machida's kick on Couture and Barboza's kick on Etim. I'll also point out that by 2009 plenty of guys had landed a spinning hook kick in MMA, just not in the UFC.
    Well the thing is that traditional karate base is exactly what got Machida to the top. The sumo/jiu jitsu/judo mix helped him stay off the ground for sure but it was the karate base that allowed him to fire kicks with no chambering or wind up, it helped him control distance, and allowed him to work from angles that aren't conventional by western standards.

Point blank Machida has opened alot of eyes about the real effectiveness of shotokan.

On a side note. I watched something on Bokator last night. Pretty interesting shit to say the least. It's an ancient Cambodian art used by the armies in Angkor before it was abandoned. It incorporates everything from punches and kicks and knees and elbows to takedowns and submissions as well as various lethal techniques like a downward elbow to the crown of the head. Not to mention it uses various stances based off of animals much like kung fu. I found it very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludo View Post
    On a side note. I watched something on Bokator last night.
    Its a good Org. The Chander/Alvarez fight a while back was one of the better fights I have seen.

Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. IWS View Post
    Its a good Org. The Chander/Alvarez fight a while back was one of the better fights I have seen.

BOL. I see what you did there.

Well the thing is that traditional karate base is exactly what got Machida to the top. The sumo/jiu jitsu/judo mix helped him stay off the ground for sure but it was the karate base that allowed him to fire kicks with no chambering or wind up, it helped him control distance, and allowed him to work from angles that aren't conventional by western standards.

Point blank Machida has opened alot of eyes about the real effectiveness of shotokan.
    Indeed, sir.

Certainly karate is not the only martial arts knowledge that Machida has, but if you know what to look for, his stand up just screams karate. Every once in a while some dude will show up on Sherdog and make a post that says something like, "Get real! What Machida does is NOT karate! I did karate for two years and I assure you that what he's doing is not Shotokan!"

Of course his Shotokan has required a bit of tweaking for MMA, but you've already mentioned all the ways in which the way he moves and fights lines up with karate and not other striking styles.
    I heart cock

On a side note. I watched something on Bokator last night. Pretty interesting shit to say the least. It's an ancient Cambodian art used by the armies in Angkor before it was abandoned. It incorporates everything from punches and kicks and knees and elbows to takedowns and submissions as well as various lethal techniques like a downward elbow to the crown of the head. Not to mention it uses various stances based off of animals much like kung fu. I found it very interesting.
    Sounds interesting. I've never heard of it.

Where did you watch it?
    I heart cock

For anyone who's interested, here's some info on Machida's DVD series:
    I heart cock

LYOTO MACHIDA
    Volume 1
    Movement and Fundamental Strikes
    © Marc Wickert May 8, 2009
    w[...]

One thing that makes Lyoto Machida so unique in the world of mixed martial arts is that he has risen to the top whilst using a traditionally-based martial arts system.

Lyoto commences Volume 1with basic stretching exercises before using his brother Chinzo Machida to demonstrate the below techniques. `The Dragon' also spars with Chinzo at the end of each strike segment to illustrate how he puts it all together in free-flowing combos.

As with all Victory Belt books, all techniques are displayed from a variety of angles for more clarity.

* Movement: Shows the viewer how to develop a practical base, to make the movements flow freely, and how to close the gap when attacking. Being able to switch stance from orthodox to southpaw and to launch strikes from both stances is recommended. Pivoting whilst attacking, defending and counterattacking is demonstrated.

* Kicks: A wide variety of kicking weapons are illustrated. Lyoto shows how to use one's legs for defense by keeping opponents at a distance through powerful kicks and the use of evasive pivoting and cutting angles. He showcases kicks on mitts, focus pads, Thai pads and whilst sparring, and explains the best method to set up decoy strikes before landing devastating kicks. This section also reveals how to set up sweeps when one's opponent is most vulnerable.

* Punches: Lyoto possesses an extensive arsenal of punches and he shows what part of the hand to impact with in order to maximize damage delivered whilst minimizing damage to one's hand. Other techniques include: maintaining an effective guard, faking strikes to set up bigger punches, correct posture when delivering punches, and punch and kick combos. Machida then demonstrates how to deliver explosive finishing punches.

* Elbows: A wide variety of elbow techniques are illustrated from an even wider variety of angles. The viewer is shown the best methods for unleashing long-range and close-range elbow strikes, juicy targets to zone in on, how to set up spinning elbows, as well as employing elbows for attacking, defending, counterattacking, and countering kicks with elbows.

* Knees: Machida explains the difference between good and bad knees, then reveals how to set up knee strikes, tactics to close the gap before delivering the strikes, and the best ways to combine other strikes with knees. Flying knees and clinching to unload knees are also demonstrated before Lyoto mixes it up in a sparring session with Chinzo while incorporating all of the above techniques.

* Katas: Machida performs four katas that are both strenuous workouts and include powerhouse strikes and blocks. The last two katas are more complex and are shown at both normal speed and in slow motion.

And this is all on the first disc!
    I heart cock

Where did you watch it?
    Used to be on MTV2, now I think its on spike.

LYOTO MACHIDA
    Volume 2
    Striking Attacks and Takedowns
    © Marc Wickert May 15, 2009
    [...]

In Volume 1 Lyoto Machida began fusing his wide variety of strikes together to create destructive combos, and in Volume 2 he weaves together more powerhouse combos that are suitable for both MMA competition and street defense.

Again, as with all Victory Belt books, all techniques on this DVD are displayed from a variety of angles for complete clarity.

* Break and Enter: Lyoto shows how to break an opponent's guard and provide a corridor for unloading strikes. He then demonstrates the use of decoy tactics to set up primary hits, the use of low and high kicks, and combos incorporating all weapons earlier employed.

* Combos: Machida serves up more combos here than a Chinese chow mein restaurant, including attacks to the body and head, fighting same-stance opponents, fighting opposite-stance opponents, and correct positioning of shoulders to avoid telegraphing one's strikes.

* Mixed Bag: Lyoto reveals a variety of offensive sequences whilst altering the speed of strikes and the height of the targets he zones in on to keep his opponent on edge and guessing. Other areas covered are attacking off centerline and the use of closing distance with combos, which are particularly effective against adversaries with a reach advantage.

* Mind Game Techniques: Here Machida unlocks a vault of sneaky tactics to disrupt an opponent's focus and unsettle his balance. He also incorporates blinding decoy strikes to set up heavier shots and maneuvers that distract and confuse the enemy before punishing them with power blows.

* Pad Drills: Lyoto works with his brother, Chinzo, to illustrate 10 focus-pad drills and 11 Thai-pad drills for the viewer to practice. The pair also covers hand-trapping sweeps, and scoop sweeps against same-stance opponents and opposite-stance opponents.

* Machida Medley: Lyoto and Chinzo perform a medley of all of the above techniques to showcase their unique methods of combining devastating firepower with debilitating takedowns.

Although this DVD represents one disc from the 4 DVD Box Set, all four volumes are interrelated and blend perfectly to reveal the secrets of one of MMA's most destructive gladiators.
    I heart cock

LYOTO MACHIDA
    Volume 3
    Intercepting Attacks, Takedown Defense, & The Clinch
    © Marc Wickert May 20, 2009
    [...]

In Volumes 1and 2 Lyoto Machida focuses a lot on the dynamics involved in delivering crushing strikes. Volume 3 flows on from the previous DVDs, explaining how to use timing and distance to deliver those blows with maximum impact to your opponent and minimum risk to oneself.

Also covered on this disc are launching counterattacks, defending against takedowns, and fighting from the clinch.

During the introduction to Volume 3, Lyoto states: "In addition to learning the basic techniques, it is also very important that you focus on timing. As you will soon see, timing is very, very important. If your timing is off, utilizing one of the countering measures I lay out could be hazardous: instead of evading your opponent's attack and landing one of your own, you suffer the hit.

"Along these same lines, it is very important to develop a keen sense of distance. If you attempt to throw a kick and there's not adequate distance between you and your opponent, again you will suffer rather than your opponent," says Machida.

* Intercepting Attacks: Lyoto reveals how to base your counter responses on your opponent's movements, and how to fight at long range in order to read those movements. Other techniques covered include closing range with strikes, and combining blocking with footwork.

Lyoto incorporates the above techniques in a sparring session with Chinzo before illustrating how to intercept round kicks, jabs, rear hooks and looping punches.

* Countering Takedowns: Machida demonstrates takedown defense through sprawling and redirecting your opponent's energy, fist and knee intercepts, and Thai clinching and counter attacks. He also focuses on counters to single- and double-leg takedowns before applying all of the above tactics in a spar with his brother.

* Clinching: This section deals with establishing the Thai clinch and delivering knee strikes, use of Thai clinches to off balance your opponent, and elbow strikes from the clinch.

* Basic Overhook-Underhook Positioning: Lyoto demonstrates striking from over-under, inside knee blocks and leg trips from the clinch, double underhook takedowns, and basic clinch defense.

As the rear cover states, "If your goal is to steer the direction of a fight and inflict damage without taking abuse, this DVD is for you."
    I heart cock

LYOTO MACHIDA
    Volume 4
    The Ground Game
    © Marc Wickert May 23, 2009
    [...]

As with the three previous volumes, Lyoto commences this disc with appropriate stretching exercises to prepare practitioners for his upcoming techniques.

* Attacking the Downed Opponent: Lyoto reveals a variety of weapons at one's disposal, and methods for delivering them whilst avoiding up-kicks. He also demonstrates how to apply a nasty foot-lock submission.

* G'N'P from Full Guard: Machida shows how to keep your hands free to ground and pound while pinning your opponent down. He then illustrates ways to strike an adversary from the guard and employ optimal dynamics, and tactics to pass the guard and move to side control or the mount.

* G'N'P from Half Guard: Lyoto covers positioning to avoid counter submissions, and the strategy of varying the targets you select in order to confuse your opponent. Other techniques shown include: submissions from half guard, passing half guard, leg locks from half guard, and ways to escape your opponent's kimura attempts before submitting him with an arm bar.

* G'N'P from Side Control: `The Dragon' runs through straight g'n'p, knee-on-belly positioning, arm traps, immobilizing one's opponent to apply submissions, and side control to mount transitions.

* G'N'P from Mount: Techniques covered include stabilizing your mount position, pinning your opponent whilst unloading g'n'p, and setting up submissions from the mount.

* Taking Opponent's Back: Machida explains how to create openings and to submit adversaries through rear naked chokes, arm bars and katagatames.

* Defending from the Ground: Lyoto demonstrates ways to avoid a prolonged closed guard, how to use your feet and knees to hamper your opponent's attack, and methods to control his hands and arms. Sweeps and submissions from below are also illustrated.

* Ground Escapes: Machida finishes off this section with tactics for escaping some of grappling's and MMA's most basic submissions, including arm bars, triangle chokes, guillotines and rear naked chokes.

It's no coincidence Lyoto Machida shot straight to the top of MMA whilst notching up a perfect 15-0-0 record and earning the UFC Light Heavyweight Championship Title. This 4 DVD Box Set provides a golden opportunity for ultimate fighting enthusiasts to train alongside one of the very best in the business.
    I heart cock

Sounds interesting. I've never heard of it.

Where did you watch it?
    http://www.youtube.com/user/brooklynmonk1

Used to be on MTV2, now I think its on spike.
    Your mom's on Spike. Get the fuck out unless you want to talk about Machida.
    I heart cock

Thanks. I'll have to check that out.
    I heart cock

Your mom's on Spike. Get the fuck out unless you want to talk about Machida.

BOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I heart cock