Thread: Cro Cop on the comeback?

Cro Cop on the comeback?

ohlawd.gif Mirko vs Fedor 2?

At 37 years old, Croatian combat-sports legend Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic believes he will again compete in MMA.

Despite walking away from the Ultimate Fighting Championship after an October loss to Roy Nelson, Filipovic told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) and USA TODAY Sports that he is training in the sport and envisions a return to MMA.

"Concerning my retirement from the UFC, I said it was my last fight for the UFC and last fight on the present contract, but I did not say, 'I won't keep fighting,'" Filipovic said. "I never said that. I think the best thing to say is that I was born to fight."

After leaving the UFC, Filipovic had surgery to repair torn muscles and tendons in his arm. He has returned to training and said he feels like an athlete reborn.

"I feel like a little kid," Filipovic said. "I'm so happy. I'm training every day. I usually train twice a day, and Thursdays and Sundays are supposed to be my days off. But even on those days I'm training at least once. I have to do at least one session each day to be happy."

Filipovic (27-10-2) is under contract with K-1, a kickboxing promotion hosting a 2012 World Grand Prix that boasts a $1 million grand prize. The company will visit Los Angeles in September, and Filipovic next will appear in a round-of-16 fight in Tokyo in October.

Filipovic is 2-0 in kickboxing matches since leaving the UFC. The former Croatian police officer said he was offered an MMA fight for September but was forced to turn it down when he could not settle on contract terms.

However, after the K-1 tournament is over, "Cro Cop" said he would begin to field offers for an MMA contest.

"If you ask me, when I look deep into my soul, of course I would like to fight MMA again," Filipovic said. "People don't get it. Martial arts is my life."

Filipovic has competed in professional combat sports since 1996.

He fought 10 times for the UFC and 24 times for the now-defunct PRIDE organization, including a tournament championship in the 2006 PRIDE Open-Weight World Grand Prix. He is also a two-time K-1 World Grand Prix finalist.

"K-1 was my first love, but even as recently as this week I was sparring kickboxing, and it was so difficult not to throw them on the ground and look to ground and pound," he said. "Even while I'm preparing for the K-1 grand prix, I'm training on the ground with grappling several times each week.

"My motivation now is to prove to everyone that I'm still capable of being in the cage. I'm not old. I'm 37, but I can do things that fighters 10 years younger cannot.

"I will prove that, or I will die trying."
    Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

Indeed. Hmm. . .

I guess the real question is where the fuck is he going to fight? Obviously not the UFC. Not fucking Bellator.

JMMA, from what I understand, is basically dead but maybe Dream will put on a few more shows.
    I heart cock

This time... this time, you will see the old Cro Crop.

No one cares and no one believes you. Go away.
    2012: +19.33
    2012 Parlay project: +16.5u

I think you could very well see the "old Crocop" if he's fighting middling competition.
    I heart cock

I think his best chance at being at least competitive, is to just fight in K-1. Anything MMA and its just gonna be the same old shit.

I can respect the fact that the guy still has some fire, but He is asking for brain damage at this point.

Why would there be MORE possibility of brain damage in MMA than K-1? Seems like it would be the other way around. . .
    I heart cock

Quote Originally Posted by SPX View Post
    Why would there be MORE possibility of brain damage in MMA than K-1? Seems like it would be the other way around. . .
    I typed that in my sarcasm font.

Nigga goes to sleep real quick in MMA, at least he may be able to take a punch with 12oz gloves.

Oh, okay.

Yeah, I dunno. I'm just not sure the MMA comp outside of the UFC is good enough to where he'd have a lot of problems.

FUCK! I got it! He should fight AA!
    I heart cock

Quote Originally Posted by SPX View Post
    FUCK! I got it! He should fight AA!
    First guy to land a solid punch to the face wins.

I would actually like to see that fight come to think of it.

ONE FC!
    Triple-six killers in this motherfucker runnin shit

Would like to see Cro Cop come back to the UFC and fight Demetrious Johnson

It's hard to just stop doing any kind of sport if you actually enjoy it. His kicking swinging style will probably be bad for him in the long run, healthwise. His kicks are awesome, but they should be better for someone so famous for them in the ring.

I wouldn't underestimate him because of his age, though, technique and strength can increase immensely with age, even if his cardio might be lower than before.

The big problem is that he just doesn't seem like he's "got it" anymore. I mean, it's not that he's a BAD fighter. He could certainly go out and beat up on a lot of middle-of-the-pack guys. But whenever he fights someone even scratching the top 10 he loses, whether it's JDS, Nelson, Mir (who basically beat him in a kickboxing match), or even Schaub.

And maybe . . . just maybe . . . those old PRIDE guys were great but today's heavyweights are just a step ahead.
    I heart cock

Cro Cop is gunshy and his ability to take damage has deteriorated greatly.
    2013: +8.24u(increased unit size on 5/19)
    Favorites: 20-6 + 6.13u
    Underdogs: 10-19 -2.51u
    Ludo's Locks Parlay Project: +1.4u

2012: +20.311u