Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst ... 234567 ... LastLast

Thread: UFC on FX 7 Vitor Belfort vs Michael Bisping

I wouldn't quite call Stann an A-level fighter but to call him "second tier at best" doesn't do him justice. He's pretty damn good, he's just not great.
    I heart cock

Quote Originally Posted by MMA_scientist View Post
    Stann is 2nd tier at best, and even then, he only does well against other strikers. Bisping gets dropped all the time (Wand, Rivera, Stann?, Hendo, Kang)... I think Vitor will find his chin and then swarm him. I would say Vitor is the best striker Bisping has faced of that group.

I fully expect Bisping to come to grapple.
    Vitor almost armbarred Jones. Supposedly he heard his arm pop. He also handled Anthony Johnson really well on the mat. Bispings BJJ is supposedly pretty good though. How many rounds is this?

Quote Originally Posted by SPX View Post
    I wouldn't quite call Stann an A-level fighter but to call him "second tier at best" doesn't do him justice. He's pretty damn good, he's just not great.
    He's a can. A glorious American hero tomato can.
    2012: +19.33
    2012 Parlay project: +16.5u

Quote Originally Posted by edman5555 View Post
    Vitor almost armbarred Jones. Supposedly he heard his arm pop. He also handled Anthony Johnson really well on the mat. Bispings BJJ is supposedly pretty good though. How many rounds is this?
    Yeah, traditionally Vitor handles wrestlers pretty well. Bisping would get beat in a grappling only affair, but he stays pretty active with his punches from top. He is a non-stop gnp machine.
    2012: +19.33
    2012 Parlay project: +16.5u

Jones has a hurt elbow still. And he handled AJ on the mat after AJ gassed miserably after almost dying (again) cutting too much weight/still not making weight. AJ was getting him down easy before he went into cardiac arrest. This will probably be 5 rounds.

I agree, Vitor actually did NOT look good against AJ until AJ gassed. In fact, I was a little concerned for my bet. Props to the ref for those instantaneous standups.
    I heart cock

Ok I didn't remember how bad he gassed. That said, AJ is a better wrestler than Bisping...That said, who knows if Bisping can get him down. I tend to think he can.

As much as I like Vitor, I would say that his TDD is outright bad. Not only that, but he tends to play bjj off his back instead of trying to get back to his feet ASAP. That was how they did it in the old days, but it's not the smart strategy in modern MMA anymore.

His offensive wrestling is probably underrated, but I don't see him getting anything going against Bisping in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by Svino View Post
    As much as I like Vitor, I would say that his TDD is outright bad. Not only that, but he tends to play bjj off his back instead of trying to get back to his feet ASAP. That was how they did it in the old days, but it's not the smart strategy in modern MMA anymore.

His offensive wrestling is probably underrated, but I don't see him getting anything going against Bisping in that regard.
    Why do you say it is bad? What fights? The AJ fight or are there other fights you have seen?

Why do you say it is bad? What fights? The AJ fight or are there other fights you have seen?
    Historically, he has had trouble with wrestlers: Hendo, Ortiz, Couture. He blew away Lindland, but the speed difference there was way too much for an aging Lindland to overcome.

FM has his career TD defense at 49% which is not good for a guy of his level who is at his best when standing.
    http://hosteddb.fightmetric.com/fighters/details/295#

Those were also many many years ago, it is hard to use them as a reference. Wrestling has become more important every year, I am sure he trains it much more than he used to.

Those were also many many years ago, it is hard to use them as a reference. Wrestling has become more important every year, I am sure he trains it much more than he used to.
    If his TDD had looked a lot better in recent fights, I would agree. But I think I see the same Vitor.

Quote Originally Posted by Svino View Post
    If his TDD had looked a lot better in recent fights, I would agree. But I think I see the same Vitor.
    Yeah I think I should watch him fight AJ again. That was the only fight he was taken down in correct?

And the Jones fight, of course.

The thing is that he knocked everyone else out in the first minute or so since he got back to the UFC (with the exception of Anderson). So most guys haven't even really gotten the chance to get him down.
    I heart cock

Good point. I haven't watched the Jones fight. I should watch that one. How was it?

Vitor took an interesting gameplan with Jones. Basically, every time Jones got close to a TD, Vitor pulled guard.

Well he came in heavily muscled. If he tried to fight every takedown he would probably lose just because Jones is a way better wrestler. That would eventually cause him to gas out horribbly. I bet he probably figured he had a good shot at submitting Jones off his back.

Quote Originally Posted by poopoo333 View Post
    I really hope they add one more fight for the co main event.

Line guesses on Bisping/Belfort? I think it will be around even, but I wouldn't mind see Bisping come out around +150. Most likely that will not happen, as Belcher was +165 against Belfort when that fight was scheduled.

Gonzaga/Rothwell is pretty interesting.

Markes/Craig is going to be a good one...I will probably keep riding the Markes wagon.

I am going to be betting Lentz over Nunes at + numbers (Why is this not on the main card?)

Salas has potential for the upset over Barboza.
    I think Craig has been very lucky so far. He nailed Natal with that head kick after losing the first round and Kyle Noke was injured for their fight. I think Markes will run right through him.

Betting Lentz over Nunes? I don't get that at all. Can you explain? Lentz likes to get inside and box/wrestle IMO. Nunes has good takedown defense and good movement. How do you see Lentz beating him. Do you expect nunes to gas or something?

I think Yuri Alcantra should be able to beat George Roop too.

Poopoo, why lentz over nunes? i am really interested in this one.