Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast

Thread: Mark Hominick

Mark Hominick

"I truly got to live my passion and follow my dreams by competing in mixed martial arts, especially under the Zuffa banner, but UFC 154, that's the last fight I'll be in the octagon, as I'm retiring and looking to move on to the next phase of my career."

-- Mark Hominick

That sucks and I don't think it's a necessary step. He's had a bad run but I still think he can be a solid FW.
    I heart cock

Quote Originally Posted by SPX View Post
    That sucks and I don't think it's a necessary step. He's had a bad run but I still think he can be a solid FW.
    Well, he has lost 4 straight, including getting beat by a couple of scrubs. I don't think anyone has ever gone on a losing streak like that and came back to be very good (at least, no one that I can recall). He is going to have to spend a couple years in a small show just for the hope of maybe getting to fight in the UFC again. Probably a good time to call it a career.
    2012: +19.33
    2012 Parlay project: +16.5u

old news bro bro <3

Quote Originally Posted by MMA_scientist View Post
    Well, he has lost 4 straight, including getting beat by a couple of scrubs. I don't think anyone has ever gone on a losing streak like that and came back to be very good (at least, no one that I can recall). He is going to have to spend a couple years in a small show just for the hope of maybe getting to fight in the UFC again. Probably a good time to call it a career.
    I think if he got three quick wins outside of the UFC then he'd get called back up as a late replacement pretty easily. And I just think he has more to give. He's still young. You won't convince me he just suddenly became a shitty fighter. I wouldn't be surprised to see him come back, like so many others have.
    I heart cock

Quote Originally Posted by poopoo333 View Post
    old news bro bro <3
    Well we haven't discussed it and I think it's significant. So fuck you.
    I heart cock

I think if he got three quick wins outside of the UFC then he'd get called back up as a late replacement pretty easily. And I just think he has more to give. He's still young. You won't convince me he just suddenly became a shitty fighter. I wouldn't be surprised to see him come back, like so many others have.
    He's looked like shit since Tompkins died. He got his fucking ass kicked by Yagin, and Garza seemed to pretty much have his way with him. He just hasn't been the same since Tompkins passed, and I don't think that's the kind of hurdle he's going to be able to pass after 10+ years of fighting.
    2013: +8.24u(increased unit size on 5/19)
    Favorites: 20-6 + 6.13u
    Underdogs: 10-19 -2.51u
    Ludo's Locks Parlay Project: +1.4u

2012: +20.311u

He got beatdown by Yagin early, but the third round was all Hominick. And Hominick won the first round against Garza.

My point is that it seemed to be he was just starting to really get rolling at the highest levels of the sport. I expected to see him stick around for a good 5 or so more years. It would be like if Siver lost a few fights and then quit. Or Frankie Edgar. The timing just doesn't seem right.
    I heart cock

He got beatdown by Yagin early, but the third round was all Hominick. And Hominick won the first round against Garza.

My point is that it seemed to be he was just starting to really get rolling at the highest levels of the sport. I expected to see him stick around for a good 5 or so more years. It would be like if Siver lost a few fights and then quit. Or Frankie Edgar. The timing just doesn't seem right.
    He got brutalized by Yagin through two rounds in which he could very well have been stopped multiple times. That first round with Garza was pretty close up until the knockdown. I know I know "he was losing until he was winning" or whatever, but you get My point.
    2013: +8.24u(increased unit size on 5/19)
    Favorites: 20-6 + 6.13u
    Underdogs: 10-19 -2.51u
    Ludo's Locks Parlay Project: +1.4u

2012: +20.311u

Don't hate, bro.
    I heart cock

Hominick was never great and he is on the decline. Tompkins dying had a huge part of it imo. Also, losing to a guy you are supposed to beat in 7 seconds probably kicked his ass mentally. Then he got the shit beat out of him for 66.6% of a fight against a guy he was DEFINITELY supposed to run over.. Then he got his ass kicked again in the same damn situation. His heart/head probably is not in it anymore and if he comes back it's because he needs the $ most likely.

I never knew anything about Yagin. But I really did think he would beat Garza. Garza seems to be hitting his stride, though.

You say he was never great . . . but he was good enough to get a legit title shot. How much better are you supposed to be? There aren't a lot of greats.
    I heart cock

Can you think of anyone who has come back from a worse skid? I can't think of a single fighter that has lost 4 straight fights and then become a contender again. I am sure they are out there, but I can't think of anyone. The best comeback I can think of is Nick Diaz, after losing 3 straight, then losing to Noons and fighting really poorly for a while (and almost losing to some guy names Mike Aina). But here he is, fighting for the UFC belt.

I never knew anything about Yagin. But I really did think he would beat Garza. Garza seems to be hitting his stride, though.

You say he was never great . . . but he was good enough to get a legit title shot. How much better are you supposed to be? There aren't a lot of greats.
    Shallow division. The fight was in his hometown. Aldo already beat the popular featherweights at the time (Brown, Faber) very easily. Hominick beat George Roop, Leonard Garcia, Yves Jabouin, Savant Young, and Bryan Caraway since losing in 2008 to Josh Grispi. Not exactly the most stacked resume. He had a good winning streak and all, but I really do not believe Hominick was ever top 5 material or anything in the Featherweight division. His best win in that list was Yves Jabouin.

Can you think of anyone who has come back from a worse skid? I can't think of a single fighter that has lost 4 straight fights and then become a contender again. I am sure they are out there, but I can't think of anyone. The best comeback I can think of is Nick Diaz, after losing 3 straight, then losing to Noons and fighting really poorly for a while (and almost losing to some guy names Mike Aina). But here he is, fighting for the UFC belt.
    Well do you have to be a contender in order to have a legitimate place in the UFC (or pro MMA as a whole)? Was Lytle ever really a contender? Is someone like Rich Franklin a contender today? No. But they still fill a place and have a purpose in the UFC.

As to your question, you already mentioned Diaz. I'll also mention Hardy. He lost 4 in a row . . . and now has two wins against mid-level-but-still-skilled competition. Or how about Bonnar? He lost three in a row--including a loss to Mark Coleman!--and then went on a three fight win streak. Wanderlei also went on a three fight losing streak before coming back to show he can still win a few, lose a few.

I'm not sure Hominick would come back and fight for the belt again, but like with Hardy, I think it's a matter of finding out where you fit in the division and then serving your purpose. There are still guys, right now, fighting in the UFC, that he can beat. So that tells me that he belongs in the UFC.
    I heart cock

Quote Originally Posted by poopoo333 View Post
    Shallow division. The fight was in his hometown. Aldo already beat the popular featherweights at the time (Brown, Faber) very easily. Hominick beat George Roop, Leonard Garcia, Yves Jabouin, Savant Young, and Bryan Caraway since losing in 2008 to Josh Grispi. Not exactly the most stacked resume. He had a good winning streak and all, but I really do not believe Hominick was ever top 5 material or anything in the Featherweight division. His best win in that list was Yves Jabouin.
    So he beat 4 guys who are still in the UFC . . . and he is retiring? If anything, you just proved my point that there's no real reason for Hominick to go anywhere.
    I heart cock

The noons fight was a cut stoppage.

Well do you have to be a contender in order to have a legitimate place in the UFC (or pro MMA as a whole)? Was Lytle ever really a contender? Is someone like Rich Franklin a contender today? No. But they still fill a place and have a purpose in the UFC.

As to your question, you already mentioned Diaz. I'll also mention Hardy. He lost 4 in a row . . . and now has two wins against mid-level-but-still-skilled competition. Or how about Bonnar? He lost three in a row--including a loss to Mark Coleman!--and then went on a three fight win streak. Wanderlei also went on a three fight losing streak before coming back to show he can still win a few, lose a few.

I'm not sure Hominick would come back and fight for the belt again, but like with Hardy, I think it's a matter of finding out where you fit in the division and then serving your purpose. There are still guys, right now, fighting in the UFC, that he can beat. So that tells me that he belongs in the UFC.
    Coleman wasnt that horrible. He could dive relentlessly for takedowns while taking an incredible beating. He did it against shogun.

I think Coleman proved he had more left in the gas tank than anyone thought, but Bonnar should not have lost to him.
    I heart cock

Quote Originally Posted by edman5555 View Post
    The noons fight was a cut stoppage.
    Yeah, but he was getting his ass kicked.

I think Coleman proved he had more left in the gas tank than anyone thought, but Bonnar should not have lost to him.
    Speaking of Coleman, he did win the Pride 2000 OWGP after a 4 fight losing skid.