Thread: Sean Sherk Talks About Getting Back in the Cage

Sean Sherk Talks About Getting Back in the Cage

It has been just under 3 years since we lost saw Sean Sherk make his way inside the octagon. It was UFC 119 and he had just defeated Evan Dunham by Split Decision. The fighter known as ‘The Muscle Shark’ decided to take time off to let his body completely heal. Sherk took time to talk with BJPENN.COM Radio about his health and what it would take to get back in the cage.

“Many, many years of wear and tear, I don’t want to get into specifics of what’s injured or what’s beat up just because if and when I do step back into the cage I don’t want my opponents pinpointing anything specific,” said Sherk.

The ex-UFC champion has fought some of the best in the history of MMA. He was always willing to make that walk to the cage no matter what injury was bothering him. Sherk fought through a variety of injuries including torn rotators, a dislocated foot, torn knee ligaments, and bulged discs. “The injuries have piled up,” said Sherk. “I haven’t fought a fight healthy since I fought Georges St. Pierre in 2005.”

“I have had serious injuries every single time I stepped in the cage for every single fight,” continued Sherk.

The aging fighter is nearing 40 years-old, ancient in MMA years, where fighting at 75% would result in a loss against a fighter who is younger and healthier. “It’s just part of the game, it’s a young man’s sport and you can’t do it forever,” said Sherk. He has no plans of retiring though as he continues to inch towards being 100% healthy.

“I’m not saying I’m done by any means,” continued Sherk. “My mind wants to fight, my body wants to fight.”

“I have fought injured for so long, it’s just not something I’m willing to do anymore,” said Sherk. “I only want to fight if I’m 100%.”

After 40 professional fights in an 11 year span who can blame him for wanting to wait until his body is ready to get back into the cage. Until then he looks for things to do that don’t involve getting punched in the face. “I’m trying to find things to do outside of fighting,” said Sherk. Those include doing seminars, renovating houses, and endorsing the training mask.

“Maybe some guys have a different mentality,” said Sherk when asked about fighters that do pull out due to injury. “Maybe they didn’t come up the hard way like some of us old school guys did, and hats off to them.”

Things were different back when Sherk was coming up the ranks. He trained, fought, and worked a full-time job during the first part of his career. He worked a part-time job all the up until he won the UFC championship. He did it because he had no choice.

“If I pulled out the fight I couldn’t make a house payment,” stated Sherk.

Sherk said the UFC’s Joe Silva has told him to call when he is ready to fight. “The right opponent would be one, a former champ would be a lot of fun,” said Sherk on what it would take to get him back in the cage. “I want to get into it with someone that has something to offer me; I have no interest fighting any up-and-comers.”

“And the health factor,” continued Sherk.

It will be interesting to see who the UFC matches up with Sherk upon his return. Of course no match will take place until Sherk is 100% healthy, and there is no word of when that will be.
    http://www.bjpenn.com/1sean-sherk-i-...enn-com-radio/
    I heart cock

There was a time, back right around the time that I started seriously watching MMA again (circa 2007) that I would've called Sherk my favorite fighter. He was jacked and I liked how, as a short dude, he was beating WWs a lot bigger than him. Those days are long gone but I'd still be down to see him back.

Personally, I think he's done though. I doubt he ever comes back and, if he does, I don't think he can compete with the top guys today. Maybe, kind of like he alluded to, he could have one final legacy fight with someone like BJ. Or a rematch with Florian, if Florian would agree to it.
    I heart cock

No one cares about Sean Sherk?
    I heart cock

Quote Originally Posted by SPX View Post
    No one cares about Sean Sherk?
    Not unless he's running naked down Las Vegas Blvd again from the NSAC

Fairweather fans.

Fuck you guys.
    I heart cock

So whens he going to fight the little guy off Austin Powers for the Umpa Lumpa title?

I thought Sean Sherk played 2b for the Atlanta Braves?
    Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

I'd watch him fight BJ or Florian again.
    Triple-six killers in this motherfucker runnin shit

I think BJ would beat his ass again.

Who you got between him and Florian?
    I heart cock

Florini.

Injured or not, Sherk hasn't legit won a fight in 5 years and is 39 years old. Would be fun to watch though.
    Triple-six killers in this motherfucker runnin shit