Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst ... 234 ... LastLast

Thread: UFC Fight Night 29: Shields vs Maia October 9th

Quote Originally Posted by edman5555 View Post
    The answer revealed: no he cannot
    That would be correct

His cardio has looked great at 170. This could be because he isn't having to wrestle larger fighters so it is less work for him. A lot of people are saying Shields is the one that will grind out Maia. I tend to think that Shields doesn't have the best of cardio at 170. Maia should be the better grappler and striker. Don't forget that Shields has almost no shot at finishing this one so even if Maia gasses in round five there is still a very good chance he will get the decision.

I like Joey Beltran to beat Maldanado. Beltran was able to outwrestle Igor Pokrajac. Maldanado has shown somewhat weak takedown defense in the past. Beltran should be able to out wrestle him if he wants to and you would think he will because Maldanado should be the better striker. Another thing to consider, Maldanado has a tendency to beat his opponents by wearing them down with body shots and the Mexicutioner is one of the toughests guys in the ufc. I can't see Maldanado doing that with him.

I'm staying away from Erick Silva vs Kim. Kim has the tools to win but Silva is a finisher.

I like Thiago Silva to probably knock out Hamil. Hamil is a good wrestler but Thiago isn't that bad himself.

I am also on Assuncao. His takedown defense is really good and so is his footwork and striking. I think he is too much to soon for Dillashaw.

Not touching Pierce/PaulHarris. Pierce obviously has the wrestling to stifle PH but those leglocks always make me scared to bet against him.

I also think Hacran Dias takes Rodrgio Damm but I should probably watch some tape on that
    1 unit = 300 $

I agree that Maia should win here. I don't really like the line, but I imagine he wins the 72% of the time that the line indicates. It's probably more like 80%. Imagine the Internet shit storm if Shields subs him, though. . .

I actually lean toward Moldanado here. I think he'll have the T3D to keep it on the feet and should have the more polished boxing, but you never know with him. He's always in close fights.

Agreed on Thiago Silva. Like with Maia, I don't really like the line, but I may go ahead and pull the trigger on that one.

Normally I would say almost anyone in the UFC beats Damm but Damm has surprised me in his recent fights. I'll probably stay away from that one.
    I heart cock

What is so good about Maia that he wins 80% of the time? His striking isnt very good and his TD's and BJJ could be neutralized by Shields wrestling and BJJ

Better question, who has Maia ever beat that Shields wouldnt have?

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    What is so good about Maia that he wins 80% of the time? His striking isnt very good and his TD's and BJJ could be neutralized by Shields wrestling and BJJ.
    Weren't you the one just the other day telling me to bet it even though I said I didn't like the line?

Which Shields? UFC Shields? If we're talking about UFC Shields then I think there's a good chance he could lose to Fitch for sure and maybe even DHK and Story. And he would definitely lose to Sonnen.
    I heart cock

A win over Chael a half decade ago is not the same as a win over him today. Jeremy Horn and Paulo also beat him during that era. Would you favor those two fighters over Shields also?

And I'd favor Shields over everyone else you mentioned.

I'm not saying Maia isnt going to win , but when I think 80% chance of winning I think damn near lock
    Last edited by Luke; 09-29-2013 at 10:18 PM.

A win over Chael a half decade ago is not the same as a win over him today. Jeremy Horn and Paulo also beat him during that era. Would you favor those two fighters over Shields also?
    Filho beat him two years before that. In fact, he had just beat Filho in the rematch before the Maia fight. And after the Maia fight he went 3-0, brutalizing Dan Miller, dominating Okami, dominating Marquardt and damn near beating Silva.

And I'd favor Shields over everyone else you mentioned.
    I'd probably favor Shields over Story and DHK, but I could see those fights going either way. And I would favor Fitch to beat him.

I'm not saying Maia isnt going to win , but when I think 80% chance of winning I think damn near lock
    Shields' striking has been a bit surprising of late but I still think Maia is a better striker and I also think he's a better grappler. Shields won't knock him out and won't sub him, and if Maia's better everywhere then it's also unlikely Shields will decision him, so outside of something flukey Maia should win. Hence 80%.
    I heart cock

^^^You're nuts. Their wrestling and BJJ are going counteract each other and it's going to end up being a 5 round kickboxing match that by the end you're going to be spazzing because each rd was a close rd.

I could see that being a possibility too. We won't really know until the fight happens. You should know by now that this is a guessing game. There's no point in acting like you've got it all figured out.
    I heart cock

I have spoken..../ discussion

If you really like this fight to go the distance, you are getting a good price imo

I like assuncao, beltran, thiago silva and demian maia.
    1 unit = 300 $

I don't know what to think of Palhares at 170. Is he going to be like Maia or will he be a different fighter off the roids? I think you have to favor Pierce but no way I would take Pierce at -253. At +200, I will probably put a little something on Palhares.

Maia will win barring Shields coming to wrestle. I think Shields can take Maia down and Maia has all but given up playing from bottom. He basically only goes for the half guard/single leg from bottom. So, Maia is going to win. I will probably bet the distance prop because I don't think either man will get a finish here.

T. Silva should beat Hammill. Don't see any way around that. Hammill is going to charge forward like a bull, maybe Silva will gas out.

E. Silva should beat DHK too IMO. DHK probably won't be able to get him down, and if he does, I don't know that he will do much better there. Silva is dynamic and DHK has one out, top control.

All the favorites will win IMO.
    2012: +19.33
    2012 Parlay project: +16.5u

What is so good about Maia that he wins 80% of the time?
    80% of the time, he wins every time.

Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

What is so good about Maia that he wins 80% of the time? His striking isnt very good and his TD's and BJJ could be neutralized by Shields wrestling and BJJ

I think fitch and shields are somewhat similar. After what maia did to fitch i have to favor him in this fight.
    1 unit = 300 $

Quote Originally Posted by MMA_scientist View Post
    I don't know what to think of Palhares at 170. Is he going to be like Maia or will he be a different fighter off the roids? I think you have to favor Pierce but no way I would take Pierce at -253. At +200, I will probably put a little something on Palhares.

Maia will win barring Shields coming to wrestle. I think Shields can take Maia down and Maia has all but given up playing from bottom. He basically only goes for the half guard/single leg from bottom. So, Maia is going to win. I will probably bet the distance prop because I don't think either man will get a finish here.

T. Silva should beat Hammill. Don't see any way around that. Hammill is going to charge forward like a bull, maybe Silva will gas out.

E. Silva should beat DHK too IMO. DHK probably won't be able to get him down, and if he does, I don't know that he will do much better there. Silva is dynamic and DHK has one out, top control.

All the favorites will win IMO.
    I guess me and you are the only ones that like silva. I also think he is way to dynamic for dhk to get him down. That is exactly what i was thinking.
    1 unit = 300 $

What do you think about maldanado vs beltran scientist?
    1 unit = 300 $

Quote Originally Posted by edman5555 View Post
    What do you think about maldanado vs beltran scientist?
    I don't bet against Beltran. Maldonado should be better standing, but Beltran will probably clinch him to death. I really don't know, coin toss. At the current odds, Beltran.
    2012: +19.33
    2012 Parlay project: +16.5u

Yesh i figure beltran should be able to outwrestle him.
    1 unit = 300 $