Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 234 ... LastLast

Thread: UFC Fight Night 29: Shields vs Maia October 9th

Dammit, what was Pierce thinking!?

Quote Originally Posted by Svino View Post
    He wanted to go home early. Why are you not in the chat box?

Looks like Palhares cost himself a SotN bonus, and the Brazilian commission may want to review his actions, too:

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/10/9...medium=twitter

Today in "Stop pretending Maldonado has a legit boxing record": in going 22-0, the first 20 opponents he faced had a .151 win percentage
    ///

Joe Silva going nuts in the background. I think it could be interpreted a lot of different ways.

I heart cock

Shields: Takedowns: 1 of 12, Guard Passes: 5, Reversals: 1
    Maia: Takedowns: 3 of 7, Guard Passes: 1, Reversals: 0

Looks like a case of the better wrestler (Maia) getting tooled on the ground by the superior BJJ guy (Shields).

http://hosteddb.fightmetric.com/fights/index/4475

Don't you mean . . . AMERICAN jiu-jitsu?
    I heart cock

Ah yes. Of course.

USA! USA! USA!

I missed the maia and beltran fights. Who did you guys have winning them?
    1 unit = 300 $

I thought Maia, Beltran, and Dillashaw all won their fights.

According to mmadecisions, people tend to think Shields, Beltran and Dillashaw won.

It also seems that the journalists who picked Shields gave him round 1, while the actual judges who picked him gave him round 5.

Quote Originally Posted by edman5555 View Post
    I missed the maia and beltran fights. Who did you guys have winning them?
    I had Beltran winning 29-28 and Shields 48-47

Shields: Takedowns: 1 of 12, Guard Passes: 5, Reversals: 1
    Maia: Takedowns: 3 of 7, Guard Passes: 1, Reversals: 0

Looks like a case of the better wrestler (Maia) getting tooled on the ground by the superior BJJ guy (Shields).

http://hosteddb.fightmetric.com/fights/index/4475
    Thre were zero guard passes by either man in that fight. I defy anyone to show me a guard pass that happened in that fight. Perhaps that is part of the MMa scoring problem. Maia scored a couple of advantages but if that was a grappling match, all the points were scored off takedowns. Maia would have won on points and by decision (because of his more advantageous positioning- having Shields in turtle with one hook, etc).
    2012: +19.33
    2012 Parlay project: +16.5u

Quote Originally Posted by MMA_scientist View Post
    Thre were zero guard passes by either man in that fight. I defy anyone to show me a guard pass that happened in that fight. Perhaps that is part of the MMa scoring problem. Maia scored a couple of advantages but if that was a grappling match, all the points were scored off takedowns. Maia would have won on points and by decision (because of his more advantageous positioning- having Shields in turtle with one hook, etc).
    Yeah, I think FightMetric uses their "passes" category to mean "dominant positions obtained".

Yeah, I think FightMetric uses their "passes" category to mean "dominant positions obtained".
    Still. At what point did either man have a dominant position. Unless they are counting top position inside guard dominant. In which case... ok. The decision was fine IMO, but make it because Shields had more "riding time" so to speak, rather than that he achieved any position.
    2012: +19.33
    2012 Parlay project: +16.5u

Quote Originally Posted by MMA_scientist View Post
    Still. At what point did either man have a dominant position. Unless they are counting top position inside guard dominant. In which case... ok. The decision was fine IMO, but make it because Shields had more "riding time" so to speak, rather than that he achieved any position.
    They are counting half-guard. Shields would briefly pass into Maia's half-guard on several occasions.

Edit: and as far as *actual* judging rather than FM judging goes, I think riding time is probably the big consideration.
    Last edited by Svino; 10-10-2013 at 04:23 PM.

Rousimar Palhares is banned from UFC. won't ever fight for them again

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    Good for the ufc and the fighters. That guy is an asshole. He doesnt deserve to fight in the ufc.
    1 unit = 300 $

Maybe he wanted to wear palharaes out with a lot of activity right away? Not sure taking him down was necessary to do that but it could have been the thought process.
    1 unit = 300 $

"Hah, that dumb oaf will never tap me out; my ligaments are invincib – OH GOD THE PAIN!"

Rousimar Palhares’ former coach Murilo Bustamante, head of the Brazilian Top Team, says he is not surprised about Palhares’ latest controversial incident in the UFC Octagon, nor that he has now been cut by the organization and banned for life. Bustamante toldfightersonlymag.com about a tendency to do the same thing in training, injuring teammates played a role in Palhares’s switch last year from BTT to Team Nogueira.

“I wouldn’t normally say anything because usually what happens inside Brazilian Top Team stays inside Brazilian Top Team,” said Bustamante. “But Rousimar has been talking a lot of bulls— about my team so I feel I am free to say what I think as well.”“In the beginning I thought it was because he was naive or had too much nervous energy during the fights.“But then he caused a lot of incidents inside my academy during his camps and I changed my mind. I got tired of seeing how he hurts people so often when he is sparring, especially when he has a fight coming up. We used to argue every time it happened, so we argued a lot.“That was a reason – together with his nonsense excuses every time he lost a fight – that our relationship started to get bitter.“I actually hired a psychologist to help me with him but, as we have seen, it didn’t work.”
    1 unit = 300 $