Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Off Topic Thread

Watched a movie called The Aviator yesterday .If you havent seen it , watch it. Its about 10 years old and probably Dicaprio's best performance I've ever seen. Solid 9 out of 10 in my book. Can't believe I hadn't seen it before yesterday
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    Watched a movie called The Aviator yesterday .If you havent seen it , watch it. Its about 10 years old and probably Dicaprio's best performance I've ever seen. Solid 9 out of 10 in my book. Can't believe I hadn't seen it before yesterday
    I just saw it a couple weeks ago. Excellent Movie.
    Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. IWS View Post
    I just saw it a couple weeks ago. Excellent Movie.
    Owning Mahoney report?
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Catch Me If You Can and The Departed were both better performances.
    2013: +8.24u(increased unit size on 5/19)
    Favorites: 20-6 + 6.13u
    Underdogs: 10-19 -2.51u
    Ludo's Locks Parlay Project: +1.4u

2012: +20.311u

OK, I just had one of those "Damn, where does all the time go" moments when you said The Aviator came out a full decade ago.

I had to look it up to convince myself it wasn't more like 4 or 5 years.

Owning Mahoney report?
    Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. IWS View Post
    Huh?
    You said you were going to download it and watch it..........Phillip Seymour Hoffman...........bueller?
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Quote Originally Posted by Ludo View Post
    Catch Me If You Can and The Departed were both better performances.
    I loved both of those also but I'd still rank Aviator above them. Truth be told , I'm a big Leo fan. I'd also rank his Shutter Island over them, but that's just my opinion
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Quote Originally Posted by Svino View Post
    OK, I just had one of those "Damn, where does all the time go" moments when you said The Aviator came out a full decade ago.

I had to look it up to convince myself it wasn't more like 4 or 5 years.
    Yeah, 10 years . Sad thing is I've meant to watch it for about 10 years but I always thought it was a sappy Titanic, Pearl Harbor type movie

edmann
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

You said you were going to download it and watch it..........Phillip Seymour Hoffman...........bueller?
    Oh yea, dam, I forgot haha. Ill grab it this weekend.

I loved both of those also but I'd still rank Aviator above them. Truth be told , I'm a big Leo fan. I'd also rank his Shutter Island over them, but that's just my opinion
    Im a big Leo fan too. I think the best of My generation.

I like Leo ok, I wouldn't say I'm a huge fan of his acting or anything. I don't see a movie just because he is in it, but I have seen almost all his movies. He does a pretty good job, and he generally shuts the fuck up outside of his movies which helps me see him as a character more I think (as opposed to someone like Sean Penn, who I think used to be a good actor, but his terrible real life personality ruins anything I see with him in it now). I think more than anything, he picks good movies. He has been in a ton of good stuff. Inception and The Departed are both super awesome flicks IMO. I think I saw the Aviator, but it didn't really stay with me, probably because I don't really like Biopics that much.
    2012: +19.33
    2012 Parlay project: +16.5u

svino, could I get some non-gambling related math help?

I don't know how to express the question in the right terms, sorry. Here is the issue: There are 5 disability judges, each grants benefits between 45% and 55% or the time. There are 600 cases. If three lawyers each handled 200 cases and had individual approval rates of 54%, 56%, and 61%-- would that indicate something that is normal variance (just chance) or is there some indication of an advantage (ie one lawyer is "better" than the others)?

I know I can't ask the question right. Sorry.

If it is a lot of work just tell me to fuck off.

Quote Originally Posted by MMA_scientist View Post

I don't know how to express the question in the right terms, sorry. Here is the issue: There are 5 disability judges, each grants benefits between 45% and 55% or the time. There are 600 cases. If three lawyers each handled 200 cases and had individual approval rates of 54%, 56%, and 61%-- would that indicate something that is normal variance (just chance) or is there some indication of an advantage (ie one lawyer is "better" than the others)?

You are just missing information in there. You would need the amount of cases per lawyer in front of each judge IMO to get the correct correlation. Then you could get a correct analysis

Quote Originally Posted by trotterz View Post
    You are just missing information in there. You would need the amount of cases per lawyer in front of each judge IMO to get the correct correlation. Then you could get a correct analysis
    well I do have that information, just didn't want to post it all unless it was needed. Assume that the judges are 45%, 47%, 50%, 52%, and 55%. Further assume each lawyer has the same number of cases with each judge (so at 200 cases a piece, each lawyer has 40 cases with each judge).

I miss stats class
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Fun fact: DiCapprio has never won an Oscar.
    2013: +8.24u(increased unit size on 5/19)
    Favorites: 20-6 + 6.13u
    Underdogs: 10-19 -2.51u
    Ludo's Locks Parlay Project: +1.4u

2012: +20.311u

Quote Originally Posted by MMA_scientist View Post

It's hard to say. Here's the quick version:

given that:

1) You asked asked about the lawyers and not the judges
    2) The judges are fairly clustered; 45-55 is not a huge range
    3) You said each lawyer had the same number of cases with each judge

We can basically ignore the judges part of the whole thing, and reduce the problem to the lawyer percentage alone, or something like:

We have three coins of unknown weighting; we flip each 200 times, and they end up heads 54, 56, and 61 percent of the time respectively. What can we say about the weighting of the coins?

The most relevant thing I can tell you is that the margin of error (with 95% probability) for a sample size of 200 is given by "0.95 / sqrt(200)", or about 7%, which just happens to be exactly the span between the two extremes.

(So we're 95% certain that the true weighting of the first coin is between 47 and 61 percent, and we're independently 95% certain that the true weighting of the last coin is between 54 and 68 percent.) So it's fairly likely that the last coin/lawyer is actually better than the first one, harder to have a strong opinion between the first two.

Quote Originally Posted by Svino View Post
    It's hard to say. Here's the quick version:

given that:

1) You asked asked about the lawyers and not the judges
    2) The judges are fairly clustered; 45-55 is not a huge range
    3) You said each lawyer had the same number of cases with each judge

We can basically ignore the judges part of the whole thing, and reduce the problem to the lawyer percentage alone, or something like:

We have three coins of unknown weighting; we flip each 200 times, and they end up heads 54, 56, and 61 percent of the time respectively. What can we say about the weighting of the coins?

The most relevant thing I can tell you is that the margin of error (with 95% probability) for a sample size of 200 is given by "0.95 / sqrt(200)", or about 7%, which just happens to be exactly the span between the two extremes.

(So we're 95% certain that the true weighting of the first coin is between 47 and 61 percent, and we're independently 95% certain that the true weighting of the last coin is between 54 and 68 percent.) So it's fairly likely that the last coin/lawyer is actually better than the first one, harder to have a strong opinion between the first two.
    I understand your rationale Svino but only if you are stricly looking to know if a lawyer is better than the other ones. I would still take into consideration the amount of Cases won in front of each judges .... simply for the reporting purposes. It is totally possible that the lawyer with the 54% rate won 95% of his cases in front of judge 1 but but only won 10% of his cases in front of judge #2.
    Doing so, it is possible that the lawyer with the lowest cases won overall might have better odds to win a case (as opposed to the other 2 lawyers with beter overall stats) if it's in front 1 of the 2 judge in particular.
    It is possible that there is no correlation whatsowever in the stats mentionned earlier about the judge to judge stats, but it might be interested to take a look at it from my point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludo View Post
    Fun fact: DiCapprio has never won an Oscar.
    That is crazy. I mention that shit everytime the Oscars are on.