Page 15 of 32 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415161718192025 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Off Topic Thread

Happy birthday Luke!
    Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by edman5555 View Post
    Scientist, is anything getting better in your insurance situation?
    No, it is worse. I got a cancellation letter from my carrier, so I am not even going to get to keep my policy for 2014 like I hoped. Cheapest policy is $900 per month. I am looking for a non-ACA compliant policy and just pay the penalty. But I can't even find a catastophic non-ACA compliant policy.

I think I am going to go the religious co-op Medi-Share route. I can't think of anything else to do. It has me thinking (seriously, not even joking) about calling it a career and just cutting way back on work and lifestyle. Just moving into a small house and working part time and saying fuck it.
    2012: +19.33
    2012 Parlay project: +16.5u

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. IWS View Post
    Happy birthday Luke!
    thanks man
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Quote Originally Posted by MMA_scientist View Post
    No, it is worse. I got a cancellation letter from my carrier, so I am not even going to get to keep my policy for 2014 like I hoped. Cheapest policy is $900 per month. I am looking for a non-ACA compliant policy and just pay the penalty. But I can't even find a catastophic non-ACA compliant policy.

I think I am going to go the religious co-op Medi-Share route. I can't think of anything else to do. It has me thinking (seriously, not even joking) about calling it a career and just cutting way back on work and lifestyle. Just moving into a small house and working part time and saying fuck it.
    Well there are congressional elections coming up this year in november i believe. If the republicans gain control of the senate they will attempt to force a change or repeal.
    1 unit = 300 $

Cheapest policy is $900 per month.
    That is fuckin crazy

wow .... when I hear that I am happy to be a Canadian ... .everything health is covered by free work insurance plan, or free by the government

Well there are congressional elections coming up this year in november i believe. If the republicans gain control of the senate they will attempt to force a change or repeal.
    I am not holding my breath. I generally don't spend a lot of time worrying about things that are not within my control. The law exists, it is basically a screw job on me personally today, but I acknowledge that it helps a lot of people. I am just trying to mitigate the damage. It is going to help me in 10 years when I am ready to retire (fuck you, middle class workers of the world, have fun supporting me even though I'm rich!- I won't have much "income" so I will get basically free coverage).

Quote Originally Posted by trotterz View Post
    wow .... when I hear that I am happy to be a Canadian ... .everything health is covered by free work insurance plan, or free by the government
    If by "free" you mean that you paid for it with your taxes... yeah. I read that the portion of Canadian taxes that goes to healthcare averages out to about $5k per person, per year. That is basically the same as I am about to pay ($10K total, but that's for 2 adults). Canada is just a lot better at not wasting other tax dollars than the U.S. I think overall the tax rates are pretty similar, but yours includes health care, so good job Canada. I have never really wanted to be Canadian until about a week ago. I also like mountains and places where there are no people. Something for me to consider.

If by "free" you mean that you paid for it with your taxes... yeah. I read that the portion of Canadian taxes that goes to healthcare averages out to about $5k per person, per year. That is basically the same as I am about to pay ($10K total, but that's for 2 adults).
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...%29_per_capita

Yeah, Canada spends about $4.5k per year per person on health care; the U.S. spends about $8.5k, way more than any other country.

And our life-expectancy is shorter, too.

If by "free" you mean that you paid for it with your taxes... yeah. I read that the portion of Canadian taxes that goes to healthcare averages out to about $5k per person, per year. That is basically the same as I am about to pay ($10K total, but that's for 2 adults). Canada is just a lot better at not wasting other tax dollars than the U.S. I think overall the tax rates are pretty similar, but yours includes health care, so good job Canada. I have never really wanted to be Canadian until about a week ago. I also like mountains and places where there are no people. Something for me to consider.
    Everything "products wise" is way cheaper in the U.S. everything that I need to buy, I usually buy online and get it shippeds from the U.S.
    as a quick example, I had to buy a new pair of glasses. I went to the biggest glasses store in Canada and was looking at a specific pair of oakley frame. With the prescription lenses being at 50% off, the total amount was of $750.95 can.
    I bought the exact same pair of glasses online from a U.S. store including the prescription lenses for $356.
    We are being screwed in Canada ... totally.
    things are usually at least 30% cheaper(minimum) in the U.S. even taking the currency rate into consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by Svino View Post

Yeah, Canada spends about $4.5k per year per person on health care; the U.S. spends about $8.5k, way more than any other country.

Sad to say but this is mainly due to your food.
    Everytime I travel to the U.S. I can't beleive how badly you guys eat. Junk food is everywhere .... and wwwwaayyyyy cheaper ... if you want to eat good you'll have to pay 3X the price of junk food. It always suprises me how cheap it is to eat in the U.S. if you are willing to eat junk food.

Some things to consider in the canadian vs us healthcare debate:

A lot of canadians come to america for services because the wait is too long in canada. They are actually seeing some private insurance companies spring up.

We are the fattest country in the world so we require more services per person.

We have a much higher murder rate which effects our life exp statistics.

I think a lot of the pharm drugs are produced in america where the patents have to be respected. I think the canadians can just make generic versions of them for less money.

As far as i know we have the best cancer survival rates of any country.
    1 unit = 300 $

Quote Originally Posted by Svino View Post

The U.S. average might be $8k, but my entire family of 4 put together has never spent more than $1500. I personally, have never spent more than $500 in any year in my life on healthcare (maybe my birth and that time I was in a croup tent when I was 4).

If anything, the fact that the U.S. life expectancy is comparable to other first world countries is pretty impressive given how fat and diabetic we are. Eat rice and fish, weigh 115#- live to 82 in Okinawa. Eat Mcd's fries and milkshake, weigh 250#- live to 80. I'd call that a win for American medicine.

there are a lot of factors of course. They don't have the cheap delicious (but incredibly unhealthy) food and easy access to decadence at every turn, they live longer. I am pretty sure that is a major factor.

Some things to consider in the canadian vs us healthcare debate:

A lot of canadians come to america for services because the wait is too long in canada. They are actually seeing some private insurance companies spring up.

We have a much higher murder rate which effects our life exp statistics.

I think a lot of the pharm drugs are produced in america where the patents have to be respected. I think the canadians can just make generic versions of them for less money.

As far as i know we have the best cancer survival rates of any country.
    You are totally right Edman ... this is a big problem of the FREE health program in Canada .... There is a lot of retired old people that go to the hospital 2-3 times per week, everytime they feel something is wrong with them .... ex: a simple cold .. .they go to the hospital ... therefore ... if I break my leg and I go to the emergency in the hospital .. .I will probably have to wait for 14-16 hours before I can get someone to look at my leg .... the hospitals are FULL
    since the system is free ... people are abusing .... which becomes a problem .... As you mentionned .. we prefer paying to go to a private clinic instead of waiting for hours and hours in the hospital and get it for free.

The U.S. average might be $8k, but my entire family of 4 put together has never spent more than $1500. I personally, have never spent more than $500 in any year in my life on healthcare (maybe my birth and that time I was in a croup tent when I was 4).

If anything, the fact that the U.S. life expectancy is comparable to other first world countries is pretty impressive given how fat and diabetic we are. Eat rice and fish, weigh 115#- live to 82 in Okinawa. Eat Mcd's fries and milkshake, weigh 250#- live to 80. I'd call that a win for American medicine.
    You have to think about Life quality as well ...If you weigh 115 and you are 70 .. .you are still living healthy and can stillenjoy life .. ... go for a run .. a walk in the park ... a swim ... a game of golf of pretty much anything.
    When you weigh around 300pounds... even if you live up to 80 .... there is no way that you can still enjoy life past 70 .... maybe not enven past 60 .... there is not much you can do other than sit on your couch and watch TV all day ...

You have to think about Life quality as well ...If you weigh 115 and you are 70 .. .you are still living healthy and can stillenjoy life .. ... go for a run .. a walk in the park ... a swim ... a game of golf of pretty much anything.
    When you weigh around 300pounds... even if you live up to 80 .... there is no way that you can still enjoy life past 70 .... maybe not enven past 60 .... there is not much you can do other than sit on your couch and watch TV all day ...
    Oh I am not saying it is better. I am just saying the science behind keeping people alive, despite their efforts to kill themselves with sugar and lard, is pretty impressive. I think McDonalds is disgusting, personally.

Oh I am not saying it is better. I am just saying the science behind keeping people alive, despite their efforts to kill themselves with sugar and lard, is pretty impressive. I think McDonalds is disgusting, personally.
    You may think thay McDonalds is disgusting but that's not what Fat Scientist was thinking years ago.
    Hehe just kidding

Sad to say but this is mainly due to your food.
    Everytime I travel to the U.S. I can't beleive how badly you guys eat. Junk food is everywhere .... and wwwwaayyyyy cheaper ... if you want to eat good you'll have to pay 3X the price of junk food. It always suprises me how cheap it is to eat in the U.S. if you are willing to eat junk food.

I always find it funny that you can buy a 2 liter bottle of Pepsi for the same price as a 20oz bottle of water.

You may think thay McDonalds is disgusting but that's not what Fat Scientist was thinking years ago.
    Hehe just kidding
    Even fat scientist didn't eat a lot of fast food. I never really liked fast food. I I eat some pretty shitty food sometimes, but I don't really care for smushed burgers and greasy potatoes. I will eat the fuck outta a burrito though.